RFE for I-693

Before filling out the AOS applications for my wife (K-1) and stepson (K-2) I had to pay over $300 at one of the USCIS civil surgeons in order for them to fill out the I693A supplements (the CS said each had to have some shots). They filled out the I693A and gave it to me (not sealed in an envelope). I sent in both AOS's and my wife has since been approved (will get green card soon). My stepson, however, has an RFE which states as follows:

==================================================

Request for Additional Evidence (I-485):

This office is unable to complete the processing of your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, (Form I-485) without additional information. Please submit the information requested.

Medical Examination (Form I-693):

Note: All medical examinations and vaccinations must be conducted and administered by a physician who is on the list of Civil Surgeons approved by the USCIS. All medical examinations MUST be submitted in an envelope that has been sealed by the Civil Surgeon.

A review of the record indicates that you entered the United States pursuant to a valid K-2 nonimmigrant visa. All USCIS records relating to you have been reviewed. The U.S. Department of State medical forms DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3025 and DS-3026 are not in any of those records.

I-693 Medical Examination:

Please submit a properly completed and signed Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. The medical examination must be conducted by a physician who is on the list of Civil Surgeons approved by USCIS. Current regulations now require that the tuberculin skin test be completed by all applicants 2 years of age and older. A chest X-ray is required only when the reaction to the skin test is 5 millimeters or more.

Immunization Form:

Please submit a properly completed Supplemental Form to I-693, Adjustment of Status Applicant's Documentation of Immunization. The supplemental must be completed and signed by a designated Civil Surgeon.

1) I thought that only the I693A (supplement) was needed, not the entire I-693. My stepson took the medical in Beijing China along with his mother before the interview. There was no I-693 given to either of them to bring to the USA.

2) Are they asking for all of these documents: DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3025, DS-3026? They were given the DS-3025 which had their immunizations (which the civil surgeon transfered to the I693A). I don't know what the other forms are.

3) I'm sure he got tested for Tuberculosis during the exam in china. Not sure what to look for in the documentation he has for the medical. Does anyone know?

In short its not clear to me what I need to send in (sounds like both the I-693 and I-693A sealed in an envelope). Not sure why or how I go about getting this done. Can I just go back to the civil surgeon and tell him he made a mistake and must give the I-693A in a sealed envelope? Are they asking that my stepson again get a complete physical even though he got one at the same time as his mother? Is it possible that they lost all his medical information from china and thus don't have those DS-xxxx forms so they now want a full I-693? If anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks.

This sucks totup.

It sounds to me like the USCIS has lost your son's entire medical exam. They seem to be saying they don't have a record of his medical at all.

The I693 is the entire medical exam, not just the vaccinations.

I'm sorry for your plight but I doubt the CS you went to will fill out a completely new I693 for you without you coughing up more dough. In essence you'll need to get a new medical exam from that CS or any other CS and that's going to cost you.

It's USCIS' fault for losing the records, but there's nothing you can do about it. If they claim they don't have an I693 for your son, then it will need to be replaced with a new one before they can approve him.

That is my read anyway.

Good luck.

Before filling out the AOS applications for my wife (K-1) and stepson (K-2) I had to pay over $300 at one of the USCIS civil surgeons in order for them to fill out the I693A supplements (the CS said each had to have some shots). They filled out the I693A and gave it to me (not sealed in an envelope). I sent in both AOS's and my wife has since been approved (will get green card soon). My stepson, however, has an RFE which states as follows:

Request for Additional Evidence (I-485):

This office is unable to complete the processing of your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, (Form I-485) without additional information. Please submit the information requested.

Medical Examination (Form I-693):

Note: All medical examinations and vaccinations must be conducted and administered by a physician who is on the list of Civil Surgeons approved by the USCIS. All medical examinations MUST be submitted in an envelope that has been sealed by the Civil Surgeon.

A review of the record indicates that you entered the United States pursuant to a valid K-2 nonimmigrant visa. All USCIS records relating to you have been reviewed. The U.S. Department of State medical forms DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3025 and DS-3026 are not in any of those records.

I-693 Medical Examination:

Please submit a properly completed and signed Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. The medical examination must be conducted by a physician who is on the list of Civil Surgeons approved by USCIS. Current regulations now require that the tuberculin skin test be completed by all applicants 2 years of age and older. A chest X-ray is required only when the reaction to the skin test is 5 millimeters or more.

Immunization Form:

Please submit a properly completed Supplemental Form to I-693, Adjustment of Status Applicant's Documentation of Immunization. The supplemental must be completed and signed by a designated Civil Surgeon.

1) I thought that only the I693A (supplement) was needed, not the entire I-693. My stepson took the medical in Beijing China along with his mother before the interview. There was no I-693 given to either of them to bring to the USA.

2) Are they asking for all of these documents: DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3025, DS-3026? They were given the DS-3025 which had their immunizations (which the civil surgeon transfered to the I693A). I don't know what the other forms are.

3) I'm sure he got tested for Tuberculosis during the exam in china. Not sure what to look for in the documentation he has for the medical. Does anyone know?

In short its not clear to me what I need to send in (sounds like both the I-693 and I-693A sealed in an envelope). Not sure why or how I go about getting this done. Can I just go back to the civil surgeon and tell him he made a mistake and must give the I-693A in a sealed envelope? Are they asking that my stepson again get a complete physical even though he got one at the same time as his mother? Is it possible that they lost all his medical information from china and thus don't have those DS-xxxx forms so they now want a full I-693? If anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks.

I concur with Lance. It's a catch 22. Obviously he had to have had the exam in order to get the visa but they state there is no record of it. Being the good bureaucrats they are you don't have much choice other than to get the boy a whole new exam. Seems stupid in the face of logic but we are dealing with the USCIS. Good luck

If the exam in China is less than 1 year old it should be good.

The 693a should have been submitted in a CS sealed envelope ... was it?

Maybe an Infopass appointment could help you straighten it out.

I think that's the best option. The RFE is vague and does not state exactly what is missing. You can assume it's only the envelope, risking another RFE, or you can make sure and cover the entire exam.

Hopefully, the InfoPass appt will tell you which.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ... I got an infoPass and took the day off of work and went to Chicago and got searched at the USCIS building and waited for my number to be called and the guy had absolutely nothing of value to tell me. He just said ... "it says here you need to submit an I693" ... yah, duh. So then I got a lawyer and sent him all the info and he responded with ... "I'd go to a civil surgeon and have him perform the medical again and pay him and make sure he puts it in a sealed envelope" ... hmmm, ok. So now that is what we are going to do. But I have one question. I got a copy of I693 to bring to the civil surgeon, but what about the other forms that USCIS says they never got (the DS2053, DS3024, DS3025, DS3026). These are not part of the I693 from what I can see. They did not ask for them in the RFE, they just said they did not have them. Do I need to worry about those forms? I'm thinking I only need the I693 and the I693 Supplement. Is that correct? Thanks.

Well ... I got an infoPass and took the day off of work and went to Chicago and got searched at the USCIS building and waited for my number to be called and the guy had absolutely nothing of value to tell me. He just said ... "it says here you need to submit an I693" ... yah, duh. So then I got a lawyer and sent him all the info and he responded with ... "I'd go to a civil surgeon and have him perform the medical again and pay him and make sure he puts it in a sealed envelope" ... hmmm, ok. So now that is what we are going to do. But I have one question. I got a copy of I693 to bring to the civil surgeon, but what about the other forms that USCIS says they never got (the DS2053, DS3024, DS3025, DS3026). These are not part of the I693 from what I can see. They did not ask for them in the RFE, they just said they did not have them. Do I need to worry about those forms? I'm thinking I only need the I693 and the I693 Supplement. Is that correct? Thanks.

You shouldn't have to worry about any forms at all.. The CS will give you what to pass along. Just ask for personal copies.