Appealing to your congressman for help

Haven't posted in a long time, been busy with the kids and all. But unlike the majority who have not had good luck with their elected representatives, we had good results. I must add I did try our congressman and junior Senator first with little result. But after e-mailing Senator Inouye's office, positive things happened. When we were waiting for the K1 visa interview and stuck in namecheck for 8 months I e-mailed him. He contacted the FBI & 6 weeks later, namecheck done and interview granted!

In the latest debacle, after 18-1/2 months from filing AOS, 10 months after passing the AOS interview and stuck in yet another namecheck, I e-mailed him again. Within 2 weeks of my e-mail, his immigration aide phoned me. She still remembered our case from before, said she couldn't promise anything but would make inquiries on our behalf. In 6 weeks we get the welcome letter and 5 days after that the Greencards. She even called to make sure we got them and everything was correct.

So did it help to contact Senator Inouye? Sure did, Did it help that he is the 3rd ranking Senator in length of service & is the chair of the Defense Subcommittee, member of the Appropriations committee and member of the Homeland Security subcommittee? Maybe. Also it doesn't hurt that Hawaii is a small state, and the Senator might be more willing to help their constituient than a Senator from California who has millions of people they represent.

So keep that in mind when you write to your representatives. I tried our other two officials first who are virtually unknown and got nowhere. Then contacted someone higher on the food chain and we finally get the greencard, coincidence? By the way, my e-mail was not a passionate plea for justice or how unfair life was. I tried to stick to the facts and listed reasons why the lack of a greencard was denying my wife and stepdaughter some goverment services or benefits (ie certain jobs or financial considerations). Just my style but it seemed to work. Good luck and keep trying.

My congressman called me tonight for a telephone town meeting. Press the # key and one can ask her a question. So I did. 4-5 questions were on immigration tonight. I mentioned how 1 year and 8 months since marriage we are still in the process waiting on a mantis check. She separated the immigration overhaul and delays from the border issue. Anyway she invited me to get in touch with her staff so I have sent the messages to do that.

We'll see.

I don't know if my appeal to our congressman will ultimately get quicker results, but I appreciate receiving weekly update letters from his staff that are specific to Leiqin's case.

Today's letter states that her case is within the jurisdiction of the USCIS Nebraska Service Center. Our congressional liason is awaiting a reply from director Terry Way...

Hey, at least I know where it's at and that someone is inquiring, following up and providing us with updates. Sure beats just sitting and waiting and wondering and then more sitting and waiting and wondering and...sigh.