What happens to a case if the applicant turns 21 before USCIS approval or turns 21 before NVC adjudication? That would be a good question for the USCIS helpline.

He turns 21 in October - it shouldn't be a problem getting an interview before then. Our K-2's took 5 months.

The Child Status Protection Act, as I understand it, tells them to use the age at the time the I-130 was filed. K-2's don't file an I-130, so the USCIS says that ours wasn't protected.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He turns 21 in October - it shouldn't be a problem getting an interview before then. Our K-2's took 5 months.

The Child Status Protection Act, as I understand it, tells them to use the age at the time the I-130 was filed. K-2's don't file an I-130, so the USCIS says that ours wasn't protected.

We hope they do what the law says and not delay it just because they can. The 3 year and 7 month wait for my wife's VISA was hellacious. Don't want to do that again do we?

You need WINRAR, similar to pkzip, except different file structure. Everyone's always got something that's a little "better" than what the other guy has.

Got it! There must be about 75 pictures of himself. He's definately not camera shy at all. :greenblob:

• 1 month later...

RECEIVED APPROVAL NOTICE TODAY!

It says the paperwork goes to the NVC (like we didn't already know that, huh?) and then to Guangzhou.

Progress is slow but sure. It looks like it definately won't be as long to get him over here as it was for his mom.

My stepson is really involved with soccer. (that "other" game they call football) I can't help but wonder if Guangzhou will call him in for his interview during one of his tournaments......lol All I know is if they give him the visa he needs to take it and get the hell outta there before they change their minds again. The wait we had to endure for Mei really was a bad experience gone even worse. We don't want anything close do we?

• 3 months later...

HOWDY! Just today I/we received notice from the NVC that his paperwork investigation has completed their process and, that it has been forwarded to Guangzhou!!! I wonder how long it'll be before we hear anything from Guangzhou.......hmmmmmmmm...........

Mail the I-130 and wait for the I-797C receipt notice (NOA 1)which you should receive in 7-10 days.

Then the wait begins. You'll receive the alien registration number when the USCIS approves the petition (NOA2)and forwards it to the NVC for further review.

-happy trails!

Well, it's been 7 months since you first posted this. Congratulations on the headway. I'm almost positve it won't take another 7 months to get the interview. At most, 3 months and as little as 8 weeks.

Congratulations, dcwfn! <_<

It's moving a helluva lot faster than Mei's paperwork! Maybe it's because of the elongated experiences we had with her's but, I see two positives in the letter from yesterday. 1. He has his very own "GUZ....." number and, leaving the NVC on it's way to Guangzhou the letter states that he is; "The child of a US citizen". aka: IR-2.

• 3 weeks later...

To be continued...............Mei said that way back in the stone ages when she got her first visa from the time NVC sent it to Guangzhou until the day she got to Richmond was 3-4 months. I'm wondering if we ought to interrupt his schooling to get him over here or at least let the current semester finish? In other words, should he get the green light should we get him over here before they have a chance to make it harder?.......lol

Edited by dcwfn (see edit history)

To be continued...............Mei said that way back in the stone ages when she got her first visa from the time NVC sent it to Guangzhou until the day she got to Richmond was 3-4 months. I'm wondering if we ought to interrupt his schooling to get him over here or at least let the current semester finish? In other words, should he get the green light should we get him over here before they have a chance to make it harder?.......lol

Once he has the visa in hand it's up to you.

I'd be cautious about the age situation, everybody and their brother has a different interpretation of what that means and you know how caring the system is to everyone.

True. They are a caring group of people indeed. NOT! The best two things we have in our favor are;

1. We were married when he was still only 15 years old.

2. So far immigration and the NVC have him listed as my son and with an IR-2 category.

All I can think of is whether or not he will be able to avoid the "Black Pearl".

True. They are a caring group of people indeed. NOT! The best two things we have in our favor are;

1. We were married when he was still only 15 years old.

2. So far immigration and the NVC have him listed as my son and with an IR-2 category.

All I can think of is whether or not he will be able to avoid the "Black Pearl".

The only thing that concerns me is what they would do if he turned 21 before the visa interview. Currently he is viewed as the Child of a USC, once he turns 21 he is the son of a USC, which requires waiting for his priority date to arrive.

How Do I Bring My Child, Son or Daughter to Live in the United States?

A U.S. citizen¡¯s unmarried, minor child is considered an immediate relative, does not need a visa number, and is eligible to receive an immigrant visa immediately.

Otherwise, sons and daughters of U.S. citizens will be eligible for a visa when their priority date is listed on the Department of State¡¯s Visa Bulletin.

It is indeed a fine line and very difficult to determine which way they interview person will go with it. I/we can only hope that they will evaluate his visa based on the fact that had his mother's visa been approved more timely that the age wouldn't even be a question. The rest of the details were filed(as you know) well before his 21st birthday. Then again, there is nothing normal about this process......lol

Edited by dcwfn (see edit history)