I didn't do a timeline for my wife's visa but I thought it'd be nice to do one for this phase. How do I do that? We have all of the paperwork assembled and ready to go off to Vermont. All supporting documents are attached. I'll go to the post office tomorrow afternoon to get it on it's way. Since he doesn't have an "A" number yet, does anyone know how I/we will be able to track it's progress? As suggested in my other topic I have written all over the submission form; "POTENTIAL AGE OUT". I understand that because his mother and I were married when he was only 16 he is considered by immigration law to be my stepson already. My wife and I have been married for 5 1/2 years already but since GZ didn't approve her I-601 until January that is why we're in somewhat of a hurry with this one. Actually, they approved Mei's visa back in November but we didn't know it until the 1st week of 2007. Hopefully since he is already considered to be an IR-2 his arrival won't take so long. Any ideas, thoughts, etc........?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mail the I-130 and wait for the I-797C receipt notice (NOA 1)which you should receive in 7-10 days.

Then the wait begins. You'll receive the alien registration number when the USCIS approves the petition (NOA2)and forwards it to the NVC for further review.

-happy trails!

Mail the I-130 and wait for the I-797C receipt notice (NOA 1)which you should receive in 7-10 days.

Then the wait begins. You'll receive the alien registration number when the USCIS approves the petition (NOA2)and forwards it to the NVC for further review.

-happy trails!

I'm cautiously optimistic that it won't take anywhere near as long as it did for his mom......lol

-happy trails!

I'm cautiously optimistic that it won't take anywhere near as long as it did for his mom......lol

Compared to what you and your wife went through, this process should be a breeze!!....:lol:

One day you should sit down and lay out your timeline. People will find it very interesting and it very well could be a lifesaver for any one faced with the same crisis.

You certainly have the experience and insight concerning the I-601.

-Best to ya! :)

One day you should sit down and lay out your timeline. People will find it very interesting and it very well could be a lifesaver for any one faced with the same crisis.

You certainly have the experience and insight concerning the I-601.

-Best to ya! :)

The best advice I could give anyone who may have to face an I-601 would be to tell them to have the patience of an oyster. Anything less and they'll go nuts.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!

We received the receipt form/number yesterday. At the bottom it has the California Service Center, Laguna Niguel listed. Does that have any significance since I submitted the paperwork at/through the Vermont center?

It could be that the VSC transfered the case to their "sister" service center, CSC, for processing.

The USCIS has a memo floating around about such things.

It means just what it says.

Go look at INA 201 b and see what it says.

A non-citizen may immigrate as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen if the person is a child, spouse, or parent of the citizen. INA 201(B ).

It's good that we have documentation that they have him classified as my stepson. That's a lot faster than getting them to admit that Mei is my wife!.........lol

But 16 + 5 1/2 = 21 1/2 ??

How old was he at the time the I-130 was filed?

He was/is 20 YOA as we speak. We've been married for 5 years now so that means that we got married when he was only 16. That means that acording to USA immigration law is is my stepson. Therefore he is my child and may immigrate. That's a quick paraphrase but that's it as I understand. His 21st b-day is this coming October 17th.

Edited by dcwfn (see edit history)

What happens to a case if the applicant turns 21 before USCIS approval or turns 21 before NVC adjudication? That would be a good question for the USCIS helpline.

INDEED! That's why I took someone's advice and put "POTENTIAL AGE OUT" all over the paperwork. Hopefully we'll find out sooner than later if it helped any. Pray and wait.

Edited by dcwfn (see edit history)