Help on applying for SSN!!!

My fiancee has been here for two weeks now. This is the time she will be applying for the card. For #3 on the application- Status: which option would we pick? Legal alien allowed to work?

For #8 and 9, do we leave it blank, since mother and father is not living in USA.

Also, how long does it take for her to receive her SSN? Should I start filing for AOS during the wait period or until she get the number>?

My fiancee has been here for two weeks now. This is the time she will be applying for the card. For #3 on the application- Status: which option would we pick? Legal alien allowed to work?

For #8 and 9, do we leave it blank, since mother and father is not living in USA.

Also, how long does it take for her to receive her SSN? Should I start filing for AOS during the wait period or until she get the number>?

Assuming K-1, it's legal alien allowed to work. Otherwise, she will not be able to get one until her EAD (Employment Authorization).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I think we got the card in a few weeks... but ask the office how long to expect the card in the mail.

AOS has nothing to do with SS card.. so yes, go ahead and start that as soon as you can...

Just this past Friday my SO received her SSN card in the mail. She applied for her card exactly 8 calendar days prior (the previous Thursday).

The SSA rep told us to expect the SSN card to be delivered within two weeks.

I think we got the card in a few weeks... but ask the office how long to expect the card in the mail.

AOS has nothing to do with SS card.. so yes, go ahead and start that as soon as you can...

Just this past Friday my SO received her SSN card in the mail. She applied for her card exactly 8 calendar days prior (the previous Thursday).

The SSA rep told us to expect the SSN card to be delivered within two weeks.

We applied for my wife's SSN in San Diego, CA. It took less than two weeks to get the card in the mail. Since my wife was a K-1, the answer to #3 was Legal Alien Allowed to Work. The name change was a pain in the rear for us because someone at POE didn't do the computer work they were supposed to. It took some time, but we got it fixed.

Since you live in CA, you might think of getting her a CA ID. My wife got one and seemed to like, it was pretty easy to get. Just have to go the DMV when it's not busy. Where we lived in San Diego, there were three DMVs within 15mins of our house.

Getting the driving permit was fairly easy as well for my wife.

My wife got her DL when we moved back to Hawaii.

Good luck.

Items #8 & 9 are required, if they do not have SSN's you leave that blank, but the parents names are required.

You may also print out these pages from the SSA website and have them when visiting the SSA office.

http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/visa.htm

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...203500#C1(Point out K-1 in part C)

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...php?p_faqid=576

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).
  2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)
  3. your valid I-94
  4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)
  5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)