Upon K-1 entry, besides SSN and AoS, anything else?

Hi All.

After entry into the US on a K-1 visa, besides the SSN after 10 days and AoS promptly after marriage, is there anything else I should be concerned about?

I can't think of anything else, but I feel like I'm forgetting about something else we need to be concerned with.

Thanks!

Life together is great! :roller:

Perhaps file for EAD along with AOS, many states require EAD or GreenCard + SSN to get a driving license, California is one.

Don't forget to enjoy life together. :)

. . . and to take down your Christmas decorations. :D

AP?

Are you referring to Lee's avatar?

I can't think of anything else, but I feel like I'm forgetting about something else we need to be concerned with.

Thanks!

Life together is great! :)

As long as you remembered to clean the house, it sound like you got it all covered.

Nice to hear things are going great.

Is she going to take your last name or her own? If she is taking your last name wait until you are married to apply for the SSN. Take a certified copy of your marriage licence with you. After that take the SSN, Passport, marriage licence and a piece of mail addressed to her and delivered at your home address to the DMV and get her a state ID card. Next stop should be the bank to put her on a joint account with you. Good evidence for filing AOS.

Is she going to take your last name or her own? If she is taking your last name wait until you are married to apply for the SSN. Take a certified copy of your marriage licence with you. After that take the SSN, Passport, marriage licence and a piece of mail addressed to her and delivered at your home address to the DMV and get her a state ID card. Next stop should be the bank to put her on a joint account with you. Good evidence for filing AOS.

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take it all under advisement.

I was thinking of getting the SSN immediately (after 10 days) then once we marry and she takes my surname, we'd go back to the SSN to get her name changed. It seems a rather simple procedure to change names after a marriage with the SSA.

I want to get her SSN ASAP so that I can add her name to my bank account ASAP. Also, after getting a SSN, she'll be able to apply for a California State ID. Without the SSN, she can't get the State ID. So I want to get that taken care of ASAP. I've been wanting to go to the SSA everyday since her arrival, but I've taken the advise of waiting 10 days before going to ensure CPB has sent the proper info over.

We haven't decided exactly when or where we'll be getting married yet. It could be in CA, Vegas or Maui, but it will be within the 90 days of course. So I'd rather get the SSN taken care of before the actual marriage as I'm still not sure exactly when that will be.

Things have been going great. We're having a blast. The warm and sunny CA weather (80's the past couple of days) has been such a contrast to her cloudy, cold and polluted Shanghai weather.

We went to San Francisco last Friday and did all the touristy things. Had photos taken by the Golden Gate Bridge. Window shopped in Union Square. On Saturday, we went shopping in the local mall and purchased her some shoes and lots of clothing to match more with the laid-back, suburban CA fashion style. ;) This coming Friday, it's time to hit the beach. I'm planning on taking her to Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. :)

I'm so thankful for this wonderful spring weather we're currently having. It's just great! B)

Here's to hoping everyone else is having a great time with your respective SOs. ;)

My advice would be to marry, get the SSN and then do the state ID, utility bills, bank accounts, etc. Also, when you fill out the AOS paperwork, use her married name so her green card comes back that way. I will save a lot of explaining down the road.

If the marriage doesn't occur till closer to 78 days, the it could get too late to get the SSN...

Then you'll just have to decide whether to file EAD (get it in two months), then get the SSN...

She's a Shanghai girl? Sorry, my friend (I sure hope that don't bring a flame on me). If she's like my Shanghai wife you'll have your hands full.

I appreciate wanting the SSN really soon and getting her on your bank account, but I'd recommend waiting until after you marry if she is going to take your last name. Why? If you add her to your accounts and get her state ID under her single name, you'll have to go back and redo all of that after you marry.

My advice would be to marry, get the SSN and then do the state ID, utility bills, bank accounts, etc. Also, when you fill out the AOS paperwork, use her married name so her green card comes back that way. I will save a lot of explaining down the road.

:lol: :lol: :P

I know exactly what you mean Don, regarding SH women. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense taken at all.

I'm still trying to mentally envision exactly in what order I'm going to do all of this. I'll take everyone's comments into consideration. Thanks.

We'll definitely apply AoS using her married name vs. maiden name.

Part of the reason I want to get her State ID ASAP is because CA will ONLY issue out State ID with expiration dates ending with the same expiration dates as the I-94. Since my SO has an I-94 expiration date of 6/6/07, her CA State ID will be issued with an expire date of 6/6/07.

So to have it be of any real utility, I'm trying to get her State ID issued ASAP. Otherwise if I wait a couple of months before applying, it'll expire before she receives the actual ID. :(

I'm thinking of getting married in HI--and our trip to HI isn't until middle May. It might be cutting it close to apply for the SSN after marriage since her expire date is 6/6/07.

Okay, my fiancee is from Shanghai... so you guys are seriously scaring me with all this talk about Shanghai girls. :rolleyes:

BTW, this thread is very informative for those of us who'll hopefully be bringing our SOs here soon.

Lance,

Good to hear things are going well.

Dave