Unique dining experience

panthr

My SO and I went to one of these places in Nanning....same theme, strolling waiters offering various roasted meats on skewers......nice buffet, and only silverware on the tables...not a chopstick in sight....btw, my SO called this a BBQ resteraunt......it was very nice though....I almost poked myself in the face with my fork, I hadn't had one in my hand for almost 3 weeks..... :D

Steve

( all the waiters had on Brazilian cowboy hats..... :blink: )

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taco Bell does have a full fledge restaurant in Shanghai. Like Pizza Huts, the Taco Bells in China is not what you're thinking of in your head. It's a real restaurant with relatively expensive prices for the locals. I actually like the Taco Bell in Shanghai. I highly recommend the beef fajitas.

http://www.tacobell.com.cn/store.aspx

There seems to be two in ShenZhen and one in Shanghai.

I actually just got back from Shanghai and Beijing and saw the Taco Bell in Shanghai. I didn't go in though. I have been to too many Taco Hells in the US. However, now I am kind of regretting not going in. Fang wants to experience all the different food types that are available in the US and I told her that I would take her to my favorite Mexican restaurant the first week we get in the US (hopefully early May!).

One thing that did strike me a little funny was the wait staff all were wearing sombreros. I had to laugh.

When you think about it, there may be somewhat of a nexus between the Sombrero and the traditional round hat that Chinese laborers wore in years past, and even today !?? Shape and purpose so very similar, even though the finer details of the hat are different. ;)

My SO and I went to one of these places in Nanning....same theme, strolling waiters offering various roasted meats on skewers......nice buffet, and only silverware on the tables...not a chopstick in sight....btw, my SO called this a BBQ resteraunt......it was very nice though....I almost poked myself in the face with my fork, I hadn't had one in my hand for almost 3 weeks..... ;)

Steve

( all the waiters had on Brazilian cowboy hats..... ;) )

We have a Brazilian BBQ place here near home. When we went my wife said they have one in her home city. I was rather surprised. It seems this style that is spreading quickly in the U.S. hit China first.

Guest knloregon

Thanks for the tip, Panther.... I'll definately check it out nex time I'm in GZ!

Also, just down the street from the Garden Hotel is Macao Street Restaurant (just the name---not on a Macao St.) ----quite good (reasonable price) with some traditional Cantonese, but mostly, "Asian Fusion" ----- good seafood, curry, one of my faves are razor clams with a potato topping, then broiled, I think... They also take Visa.

Definately nice enough (and with varied enough menu) to take business clients....

Thanks for the tip, Panther.... I'll definately check it out nex time I'm in GZ!

Also, just down the street from the Garden Hotel is Macao Street Restaurant (just the name---not on a Macao St.) ----quite good (reasonable price) with some traditional Cantonese, but mostly, "Asian Fusion" ----- good seafood, curry, one of my faves are razor clams with a potato topping, then broiled, I think... They also take Visa.

Definately nice enough (and with varied enough menu) to take business clients....

My colleagues and I often go to macau street restaurant.:) It's about 10 mins walk from our office. But we prefer the "Lemon House" (Yue Ming Yuan) Vietnam restaurant at "Jian She Liu Ma Lu", about 5 mins walk from the "Latina" brazilian BBQ place. Yummmmm...

My colleagues and I often go to macau street restaurant.:) It's about 10 mins walk from our office. But we prefer the "Lemon House" (Yue Ming Yuan) Vietnam restaurant at "Jian She Liu Ma Lu", about 5 mins walk from the "Latina" brazilian BBQ place. Yummmmm...

We tried to go to Macau Street but it was packed! So we went to Latina instead. Fang and I will have to check it out. I also have seen the sign for Lemon House and want to try that also. Have you ever been to the Italian restaurant "Buon Giornoa"? Fang loves Italian food and was thinking about taking her there tonight. Last summer when I was in GZ the frst time, we went to this little side street that Fang calls "The Pizza Street". It is off of the same Jian She Liu Ma Lu and had a couple really good pizza places there... when I went there again a couple weeks ago, I found there is only one pizza place there and it looks like a couple of the other cafes closed down too. The best pizza place (Cin Cin I think it was called) is no longer there... It was run by a Portugese guy and had fantastic pizza including a Gong Bao Ji Ding pizza that was wonderful.

We tried to go to Macau Street but it was packed! So we went to Latina instead. Fang and I will have to check it out. I also have seen the sign for Lemon House and want to try that also. Have you ever been to the Italian restaurant "Buon Giornoa"? Fang loves Italian food and was thinking about taking her there tonight. Last summer when I was in GZ the frst time, we went to this little side street that Fang calls "The Pizza Street". It is off of the same Jian She Liu Ma Lu and had a couple really good pizza places there... when I went there again a couple weeks ago, I found there is only one pizza place there and it looks like a couple of the other cafes closed down too. The best pizza place (Cin Cin I think it was called) is no longer there... It was run by a Portugese guy and had fantastic pizza including a Gong Bao Ji Ding pizza that was wonderful.

Buon Giornoa? I tend to notice the Chinese name instead so I'm not sure where it is. I've heard that the "Milano" is good, but I don't care for Italian food. Guess I had too much pizza when I was travelling in Italy now I don't care for pizza either. lol

If you like French cuisine, La Seine is great. It's at the Er Sha Island. Banana Leaf's thai food is not bad. There are loads of dining options in GZ. :)

vet

Buon Giornoa? I tend to notice the Chinese name instead so I'm not sure where it is. I've heard that the "Milano" is good, but I don't care for Italian food. Guess I had too much pizza when I was travelling in Italy now I don't care for pizza either. lol

vet

My wife loves spaghetti, even though the spaghetti she has tried in GZ, is not all that good !! LOL. My mother is off-the-boat Italian and I learned to cook authentic Italian dishes very early in life. I cannot wait to spoil her with my cooking when she is here !! She is so worried I will make her fat :) I appreciate all of your posts here in this regard 'vet -_- :P Best wishes to you both !!! :P

My favorite in GZ .... Chinese Muslim ... yes, you heard me right.

No pork, no beer, duhh!

Hey there Jim......

I have to agree with you on this one. Chinese Muslim restaurants do serve up some tasty foods. Sure do like those meat kaboobs they serve up....minus the pork of course! :angel:

But in the Beijing Muslim Chinese Restaruants we've been in have served beer. I read this post yesterday and wondered about what I remembered, asked Lao Po, and was informed that most Muslim Chinese Restaurants in Beijing serve beer with their food. :blink:

Go figure? :D

PapaBear :angel:

Edited by PapaBear (see edit history)

My SO and I went out to this really cool Brazilian themed restaurant near the Garden Hotel in TianHe District. It is called the Latin Grillhouse at 29-31 Jian She Liu Ma Road. It is a LARGE buffet style all-you-can-eat for 68RMB for dinner and 40somethingRMB for lunch. They also come out to your table with skewers of fresh cooked meats. They also have live entertainment there everynight until 10pm. My SO absolutely went nuts over this place! The phone number is :(020)83319118

I've been to Brazil several times. Buffet style and the waiters will bring fresh cooked meat in skewers. The restaurants in Brazil will place an wooden hourglass shaped piece on the table. Half is green and half red. When the red half is on top the waiters will not come to your table. It give you the opportunity to chat or have drinks without being disturbed. The waiters will only come to your table to serve you when you flip the hourglass shaped piece on green. Really cool! How good was the food?

If you like French cuisine, La Seine is great. It's at the Er Sha Island. Banana Leaf's thai food is not bad. There are loads of dining options in GZ. :)

vet

Yes... well Fang and I went to Buon Giornoa tonight for dinner. I am not sure of the Chinese name but it is right above the McDonalds near the 6th Street Restaurant. Very disappointing. Fang ordered Minestrone Soup. What she got looked like dish water with some vegetables in it. She said it tasted very bland and not "special" at all. I had the lasagne bolognese and later I felt like I had swallowed cement, luckily we had some Wang Lao-ji tea back at her apartment. :P Definitely do not recommend Buon Giornoa. However, we went to Milano when I was here over the summer. Milano had a real nice atmosphere the food was decent. If you really want Italian food while in Guangzhou, I would recommend Milano over Buon Giornoa. Milano is by the Friendship store across from the Garden Hotel.

I've been to Brazil several times. Buffet style and the waiters will bring fresh cooked meat in skewers. The restaurants in Brazil will place an wooden hourglass shaped piece on the table. Half is green and half red. When the red half is on top the waiters will not come to your table. It give you the opportunity to chat or have drinks without being disturbed. The waiters will only come to your table to serve you when you flip the hourglass shaped piece on green. Really cool! How good was the food?

Ack! Sorry for the spam... The food was excellent and the atmosphere was like a party...lots of fun. The band really was good and they got the audience involved. I had a blast... Fang's parents are coming in for Hubei in April and we are taking them there.

They did not have any hourglass type thing that I could see so they kept coming to the table. But overall it was alot of fun... I had a great time.