AOS appointment quandry

I think it makes sense for me to just go with the flow. We waited six months with the idea that it looks *worse* to just rush in and EAD/AOS, though I guess that is what everyone does. Also, we wanted (ok maybe I wanted) to be sure things were going to work out before we took that next big step. That i-864ez scared the **** out of me. Now, I have no worries, but I did early on because there was so much for us both to get used to. Ya know?

In hindsight, I would have waited maybe 3-4 more months, but then I agree that I would be risking the expiry of her K-3. It's a crapshoot, but I chose to pay and maybe pay a little more, than to have her k-3 screwed up.

Now I am going to go look at the 751 paperwork.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

I never said any rules were being broken. I am saying it could raise a red flag and it won't save you any money.

I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you wrote...

Makes more sense to me to follow the rules and get it over with.

I'm following the rules and NOT getting it over with until later. :unsure:

(Pushbrk, AKA Duke) saved themselves at least $545 + $80, he won't be filing I-751 for wife and child. They just got their 10 year green-cards, just by delaying filing for AOS and filed last July before rate hike, a few months before their second wedding anniversary. This is not a problem for K-3 because they get a 2 year I-94 giving them legal status for 2 years after entry.

SEE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1523672

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Hmmm, a K-3 cannot get a SSN without an EAD or a green card. You can't file for an EAD without filing for AOS. Now if the K-3 doesn't want to work then no problem. I'm sure the lost wages would be a lot more than $620.00

Hmmm, a K-3 cannot get a SSN without an EAD or a green card. You can't file for an EAD without filing for AOS. Now if the K-3 doesn't want to work then no problem. I'm sure the lost wages would be a lot more than $620.00

Not true - K-3's can file for EAD by paying the $340 fee.

B. K-3 Nonimmigrant Spouse of U.S. Citizen or K-4 Dependent--(a)(9). File your EAD application along with evidence of your admission such as copies of your Form I-94, passport, and K visa.
Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

K-3 can apply for EAD for $340 before filing for AOS, this EAD will expire at the same time as the I-94 (up to 2 years) so depending on timing like Visa medical is less than a year from AOS filing it can still save the hassle of removal of conditions later on and still about $300+.