Studying on a k1

I guess this post straddles two different forums, but I will try my luck here. If everything goes according to plan, with some margin of error built in, my SO should arrive in late summer early fall. She is fluent in english but we were thinking of a refesher course during her 90 days and after when she is in limbo before working. A local liberal arts college with an excellant reputation offers a reasonably priced semester long english cirriculum with at least 2 classes focused on american culture. A semester is divided into 2 five week sessions so she can take at lease one session within the 90 days. As far as anyone knows, can she attend university on a k1 or do we need to get an F1 as well.

Thanks

Jay

P.S. I inquired at the college as well, but this board is always so helpful.

my wife studied on a k1 at a community college. they just needed legal presence verificaition and the i-94 was sufficient.

Check to see what their policies are after the I-94 expires so she doesn't have to drop mid semester.

out of state tuition though. but a good thing for her to have the opportunity to do something before the Ead comes

You need to verify their entrance documentation requirements. Most educational institutions will require transcripts and diplomas from other countries be translated and evaluated, some will only allow a single organization to do this.

It does take time to get the results back, in our case it took us 8 weeks to get a high school diploma evaluated and we paid extra for expedited processing.

My wife started attending the local community college one month after she arrived. They required proof of residency and our marriage certificate to get in-state / local tuition rates. For the proof of residency, I did a quit claim deed to redo the deed of the house from only my name to both our names.

The community college required an English test to see where to place her in the ESL classes. They did not require transcripts.

Now she is attending the local university, they required that she had her green card to get in state tuition rates. They did require her transcripts and the TOEFL test to be admitted into the MBA program.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an advantage, I work at a community college, and have the benefit of tuition waiver, and my spouse can also benefit from it. She wants to take classes after we marry.

Just check with your local community college, they usually have residency requirement to get the local tuition rate. Most community colleges are open enrollment, and only need transcripts if you intend on a degree program.