Passport notarization for income tax

rogerinca

I think that's exactly what he's doing - there shouldn't be a problem because its his wife's passport. The notary is signing that it's a true and correct copy of the passport, not that his wife was there.

Spouses have authority to represent a spouse when it comes to notaries? I wasn't aware of that. I don't understand how the notary would assert, with his seal, that it's a true and correct copy of the passport when the actual person to whom the passport belongs to isn't there to officially swear that is the case. A spouse can stand in to do that? Hmmm..

Anyway, I'm not arguing against this course of action. It just seems odd to me that it would work this way.

I think that's exactly what he's doing - there shouldn't be a problem because its his wife's passport. The notary is signing that it's a true and correct copy of the passport, not that his wife was there.

Spouses have authority to represent a spouse when it comes to notaries? I wasn't aware of that. I don't understand how the notary would assert, with his seal, that it's a true and correct copy of the passport when the actual person to whom the passport belongs to isn't there to officially swear that is the case. A spouse can stand in to do that? Hmmm..

Anyway, I'm not arguing against this course of action. It just seems odd to me that it would work this way.

Again, it's the document that's being certified, not the spouse.

Again, it's the document that's being certified, not the spouse.

Exactly. Anybody can get a notarized copy of anybody's passport as long as they have the passport in hand. The Notary is simply certifying they saw the passport and this a true and complete copy.

Only when US Notaries Notarize a signature do they swear they verified ID and witnessed the act of signing.

I think it stinks he had to pay his bank to do this. My insurance agent does this for free.

Anyone can have a document notarized as a "True Copy", all it means is that they have seen the original and the copy is a copy of the original. It doesn't require any special relationship to the owner of the document.