Social Security Question

Guest bbridges51

Guest bbridges51

Greetings,

Well, nearly 6 weeks after SuJuan applied for her SSN, it finally arrived. Since we were told by the SSA that her card would allow her to work immediately, we have a question.

Her SS card and the famous "Valid for work only with INS authorization."

OK, we were told that her I-94 indicated permission to work, and the instructions on the back of the card say that she will have to show authorization if she wants to work.

what have the rest of you encountered? Were your cards marked in the same manner? If so, what did you use for authorization?

Thanks,

Brian and Mia

Greetings,

Well, nearly 6 weeks after SuJuan applied for her SSN, it finally arrived. Since we were told by the SSA that her card would allow her to work immediately, we have a question.

Her SS card and the famous "Valid for work only with INS authorization."

OK, we were told that her I-94 indicated permission to work, and the instructions on the back of the card say that she will have to show authorization if she wants to work.

what have the rest of you encountered? Were your cards marked in the same manner? If so, what did you use for authorization?

Thanks,

Brian and Mia

Same here Brian

You will need an EAD. No way around this I'm afraid

Although TECHNICALLY a K-1 and I-94 SHOULD BE ENOUGH by themselves, employers will need an EAD, especially with that note on the SS card.

Guest bbridges51

Here's the latest. We went down to our local SSA and asked the same question. Since we were told when we applied for the number that our I-94 indicated SuJuan would be able to work, why was the notice placed on the card?

According to the SSA, her I-94 is the authorization she needs to work. The worker looked in her computer and said that SuJuan had permission to work.

Ok, i'm still confused, but she's looking for work anyway.

We'll file AOS and EAD as soon as we get the certified copy of our marriage certificated. yes, we did the Las Vegas thing this past weekend, but opted not to have Elvis present.

Brian

According to the SSA, her I-94 is the authorization she needs to work. The worker looked in her computer and said that SuJuan had permission to work.

Ok, i'm still confused, but she's looking for work anyway.

Brian

The "problem" is when a potential employer will have to fill the I-9 form , Employment Eligibility Verification

They will want to see ( regardless of what the K-1 guidelines are ) items from list A, or from list B AND C.

List A lists in particular:

Unexpired foreign passport,

with I-551 stamp or attached

INS Form I-94 indicating

unexpired employment

authorization