its not uncommon for the chinese embassy to require proof that the chinese has not gotten citizenship when renewing prc passport

They REQUIRE a copy of I-551 Green-card and to see the green-card, if one is not provided they assume US Citizen.

USCIS takes the green-card away upon becoming a US Citizen.

2. Subject to the U.S. "green card", providing a "green card" original and copy;

http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/hzqz/hzlxz/t84197.htm

Recent topic: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41637

its not uncommon for the chinese embassy to require proof that the chinese has not gotten citizenship when renewing prc passport

They REQUIRE a copy of I-551 Green-card and to see the green-card, if one is not provided they assume US Citizen.

USCIS takes the green-card away upon becoming a US Citizen.

2. Subject to the U.S. "green card", providing a "green card" original and copy;

http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/hzqz/hzlxz/t84197.htm

Recent topic: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41637

Dan is correct about this. On the other hand I think that a great many Chinese will say that they don't have their Chinese passport and say that they lost it. They have to fill out a form stating that the passport was lost and that is the end of that. This way they get to keep their passport. I don't agree with this tactic but I can tell you that it is done.

Larry

Dan is correct about this. On the other hand I think that a great many Chinese will say that they don't have their Chinese passport and say that they lost it. They have to fill out a form stating that the passport was lost and that is the end of that. This way they get to keep their passport. I don't agree with this tactic but I can tell you that it is done.

Larry

As I said on other topic:

Other issue with that is showing how enter and exit China. Entry to HK would be on US passport, they may share this information with the mainland, they will then question why the Chinese passport has no entry stamp for HK. Then They may also have an issue when exiting mainland China, need evidence can travel further usually a green-card or a visa in Chinese passport, and US passport would have no entry or exit visa for china.

WAY TOO COMPLICATED!

The key here would be to take a trip to China and renew your passport in-country, rather than from the U.S.

I agree that it is simply way too complicated. To me, this simply seems like tempting fate as if you hit a snag, you'll likely face harsher penalties from China's side. Remember, China doesn't recognize dual citizenship and it's wise to keep that in mind rather than trying to find creative ways to circumvent their regulations. If your wife doesn't want to give up Chinese citizenship, then she should keep her green card, and simply try to renew it every ten years.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

The key here would be to take a trip to China and renew your passport in-country, rather than from the U.S.

Actually renewing the passport is not a problem. All she has to do is show her green card. Chinese consulates know that they take the green card at the swearing in ceremony because afterward it is not needed.

Actually renewing the passport is not a problem. All she has to do is show her green card. Chinese consulates know that they take the green card at the swearing in ceremony because afterward it is not needed.

Carl, that is the point, a US Citizen will not have a green-card, the post is about renewing a Chinese Passport, not happening in the USA, but may happen in China.