How Many Checks Do You Send???

The current fee to file a I-485 is $325.00...Right? The current fee for the Biometrics is $70.00....Right? Soooo, $325.00 + $70.00 = $395.00...Right? Sooo, do you send in one check for $395.00 or two separate checks??? If you send in two separate checks to WHOM do you make them payable too??? If you mail in one check to whom do you make it payable too??? I mailed, per the instructions for Persons Filing Form I-485, effective April 1 2005, one check in the amount of $395.00, payable to the Department of Homeland Security. Today, I received our entire package back stating rejection. The following is what it said in part: "....Your application package was submitted with a single remittance and one or more of the applications/petitions were unacceptable in the package for the reason(s) specified on the related Notice(s) of Action (Form I-797). Please correct the flawed application(s)/petition(s), and resubmit the application package with the appropriate fees and supporting documents....." There was no Form I-797 attached. Just the entire package and my uncashed check. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Perhaps is better to send separate checks, payable to Department of Homeland Security.

I would look at the package check list on VJ and see if you left something out.

Also did you send it to the Chicago address?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Perhaps is better to send separate checks, payable to Department of Homeland Security.

Dan....Thanks for the link. I did send it to the Chicago address. Also, visa journey says one check as well.

A single check with the I-485 that includes the fee and biometrics is standard, $325 + $70 = $395.

If you file EAD and/or AP they each need their own seperate check.

When they return the entire package including the check it is a paperwork issue, one person received an I-129F back because the lawyer section at the end was not completed with either N/A or someones name and signature.

Start at the top and go through the application, then G-325a and then all of the supporting paperwork. But by all means take your time. Verify every bit of information on the forms, don't assume you did anything right, check it all.

Here is a few more links to help you out( I would sent seperate checks if needed, but thats just me)

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf

Cheffie, we sent one check for the $395, but I also enclosed a cover letter detailing the contents of the package as well as what the $395 was to cover. I dont know how much difference it makes, but if you want me to post the cover letter, let me know. They accepted the check.

yep...I did include the I-864 support document along with three years of income tax returns. In addition, I sent a cover letter stating the purpose of the application and listed each document and supporting evidence that was requested. So wtf...does ya gots to do to appease. I have made many calls to USCIS....waited for many minutes to speak with somebody......explained in great detail what was sent and what was sent back......received the same responses from them all......."Geeez, dunno whad happen....hold the line I'll transfer ya to a special agent".......wait for many more minutes for special agent...Special Agent response..... ......."Geeez, dunno whad happen."...... :lol: :Dah:

yep...I did include the I-864 support document along with three years of income tax returns. In addition, I sent a cover letter stating the purpose of the application and listed each document and supporting evidence that was requested. So wtf...does ya gots to do to appease. I have made many calls to USCIS....waited for many minutes to speak with somebody......explained in great detail what was sent and what was sent back......received the same responses from them all......."Geeez, dunno whad happen....hold the line I'll transfer ya to a special agent".......wait for many more minutes for special agent...Special Agent response..... ......."Geeez, dunno whad happen."...... :lol: :Dah:

Geeez, dunno whad happen, must be a government operation. :Dah:

Was the check attached to the top of the package? (Only thinking if they didn't see it).

here are guidelines I put i the FAQ... Try to follow what's applicable (don't redo your packet with the acco's... just keep what you have intact, but check everything as lee says).

I'm a two check person.. don't trust mental calculators ...

please let us know the outcome.

Some general instructions for filing:

1. Mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the nature of the submission.

2. Mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the form type.

3. Provide both the receipt notice number and the A-Number as an identifier, if they are available.

4. Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

5. Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

6. The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

7. Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

8. Place the check on top of the application, securely fastened in the upper left corner. If more than one application is filed, submit a separate check for each. This will avoid the necessity of returning ALL applications should just one be found to be unacceptable. Place all the checks on the top application.

9. Make check Payable to: "Department of Homeland Security"

10. Attach passport photos to the relevant application, but do not staple since damage might occur to the picture.

File separate AOS packages for Children.

Sample I-485 AOS package:

1. I-485 Fee and Fingerprint/biometric Fee (attached to top of application)

2. Cover Letter (see below link for examples)

3. Completed I-485 and signed by Chinese national (see instruction sheet)

4. Two (2) passport photographs attached to I-485 (Chinese national)

5. Completed Form I-864 Affidavit of Support, signed by USC and notarized. (see instruction sheet)

6. Copies of three years of tax returns (or tax transcripts) and W2s for I-864 (USC)

7. Copies of Recent Pay stubs or employment letter (USC)

8. Form G-325A signed by Chinese National.

9. Copy of Birth Certificate with English translation (Chinese national)

10. Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (Chinese national)

11. Certified copy of marriage certificate

12. Copy of Petition approval notice, I-797.

13. Copy of I-94, both sides (Chinese national)

14. Vaccination supplement I-693 in a sealed envelope, completed by Civil Surgeon

The current fee to file a I-485 is $325.00...Right? The current fee for the Biometrics is $70.00....Right? Soooo, $325.00 + $70.00 = $395.00...Right? Sooo, do you send in one check for $395.00 or two separate checks??? If you send in two separate checks to WHOM do you make them payable too??? If you mail in one check to whom do you make it payable too??? I mailed, per the instructions for Persons Filing Form I-485, effective April 1 2005, one check in the amount of $395.00, payable to the Department of Homeland Security. Today, I received our entire package back stating rejection. The following is what it said in part: "....Your application package was submitted with a single remittance and one or more of the applications/petitions were unacceptable in the package for the reason(s) specified on the related Notice(s) of Action (Form I-797). Please correct the flawed application(s)/petition(s), and resubmit the application package with the appropriate fees and supporting documents....." There was no Form I-797 attached. Just the entire package and my uncashed check. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...

The same thing happened to my wife and I when we filed for our EAD the first time. We also put the biometrics fee and the application fee on the same money order, and the whole thing (except the pictures) was returned due to incorrect fee (in our case there was an I-797). We had a cover letter breaking the whole package down, including the fee. When I called USCIS later on I swore I heard the officer on the other end scratch his head and stroke his chin. I believe you sent yours to Chitown right? That's where ours went also - seems they need to replace the folks who screen the packages.