GZ K-1, two blue slips, any options?

Hello all,

I appreciate all your input as I was naive of the immigration process from Day 1. I will provide the nutshell version. If anyone would like additional info, please feel free to ask. I joined AFF in 2003. I met Xiaorong online, Nov. 2005. She was introduced to AFF by a Chinese "translation company". Xiaorong was very different. We started emailing daily. I had been divorced 15 years, she had been for 13 years. She has no children. My two daughters are grown. I am 52, she is 43. In Feb. 2006, I spent 10 days with her in GZ during Chinese New Year. We laughed the entire time. Her relatives rolled out the red carpet. It was as if we were long, lost friends. There's more to the story, but the short version is I filed a K-1 with the "translation company" before leaving China. The paperwork was flawless. Received in Nebraska, Feb. 28, 2006. Received in GZ Sept. 2006. My second trip, Oct. 2006, three weeks in GZ, Mid-Autumn festival and moon cakes, at which time her first interview was scheduled, Oct. 10, 2006. I did not accompany her. She had mountains of family photos (of course, with me), emails, etc. Blue slip. Needed info on the "translation company". She acknowledged in the interview she paid a fee to the company. I had purchased a R/T ticket for me and a O/W for her. I really did not feel there would be a problem. Left without her. Nov. 7, she delivers a "translation company" CD to GZ. It basically showed our meeting at the airport for the first time. Really not much info on the background of the company. She returns to consulate Nov. 9, blue slip, but no explanation as to why. But obviously, the CD did not convince them the relationship was real. Since then, we still email daily and webcam nightly for one hour. My questions are: (1) Do we have any options other than waiting until the next consulate contact hopefully, within three months? (2) Does it have any impact to email the GZ consulate with regards to this case? (3) What the hell should I do now?

Thanks all,

Gary ~ Ohio

Xiaorong ~ Guangzhou

Hello all,

I appreciate all your input as I was naive of the immigration process from Day 1. I will provide the nutshell version. If anyone would like additional info, please feel free to ask. I joined AFF in 2003. I met Xiaorong online, Nov. 2005. She was introduced to AFF by a Chinese "translation company". Xiaorong was very different. We started emailing daily. I had been divorced 15 years, she had been for 13 years. She has no children. My two daughters are grown. I am 52, she is 43. In Feb. 2006, I spent 10 days with her in GZ during Chinese New Year. We laughed the entire time. Her relatives rolled out the red carpet. It was as if we were long, lost friends. There's more to the story, but the short version is I filed a K-1 with the "translation company" before leaving China. The paperwork was flawless. Received in Nebraska, Feb. 28, 2006. Received in GZ Sept. 2006. My second trip, Oct. 2006, three weeks in GZ, Mid-Autumn festival and moon cakes, at which time her first interview was scheduled, Oct. 10, 2006. I did not accompany her. She had mountains of family photos (of course, with me), emails, etc. Blue slip. Needed info on the "translation company". She acknowledged in the interview she paid a fee to the company. I had purchased a R/T ticket for me and a O/W for her. I really did not feel there would be a problem. Left without her. Nov. 7, she delivers a "translation company" CD to GZ. It basically showed our meeting at the airport for the first time. Really not much info on the background of the company. She returns to consulate Nov. 9, blue slip, but no explanation as to why. But obviously, the CD did not convince them the relationship was real. Since then, we still email daily and webcam nightly for one hour. My questions are: (1) Do we have any options other than waiting until the next consulate contact hopefully, within three months? (2) Does it have any impact to email the GZ consulate with regards to this case? (3) What the hell should I do now?

Thanks all,

Gary ~ Ohio

Xiaorong ~ Guangzhou

What does the second blue slip say, exactly?

What more do you know about the translation company except they do translations and help with filling out petitions?

Did you get an IMBRA RFE before your I-129F was approved? I'm assuming not but your dates are too close to be sure.

Answers to the above will help the members figure out the why and what.

Second Blue Slip: The only box that was checked was the top box. It said: "Your case requires additional processing. We will advise you when you should return to the Consulate. If you have not received a letter from the Consulate in three months, send us a letter or an e-mail at www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html". No other boxes were checked.

The translation company has a successful track record as far as match making and paper work is concerned. We checked with previous applicants. Other than that, I later found out that since divorce is now largely accepted in China, many of these companies are popping up in every city. As I mentioned before, the paperwork was flawless. It sailed through Nebraska. No issues.

And no, we did not get an IMBRA RFE before the I-129F was approved.

Sorry to hear of your situation...

Don't mix up a petition approval through a USCIS center with the consulate's authority to issue visas; Nebraska approved the petition only suggests you meet the requirements to file for a visa application with the consulate, it doesn't really suggest that the paperwork is flawless or the relationship is a bona-fide one.

The roadblocks to getting a visa issued are mostly to do with how the consulate views the paperwork and relationship.

questions:

1) Does the paperwork bear any reference to the "Translation Company".. in essence: How did the consulate know of them and at what point were they first aware of this company (prior screening of your file or only revealed for first time at the interview)?

2) What did you file with the original I-129F petition that was beyond the minimum requirement?

3) What were the exact questions and answers given at the interview?

4) Your avatar shows a 'wedding' like picture... were wedding like pictures submitted with the paperwork or consulate? When did you have that ceremony (first trip or second, if at all)?

5) What all was on the first slip? Only request for info on the Company.. nothing else?

---

On the surface, it appears the first denial is due to the Translation Company's role in the relationship; The second denial is to check them out. Administrative review/processing usually means they want to verify information, cross check, etc. One member's fiancee got an unannounced visit by the consulate to 'search her apartment'. It was evident that the 'administrative processing' was to plan that trip and go there !

Being so close to IMBRA, I wonder if the consulate is applying some checking on the company due to this new law... but I'd really like to hear the answers to see what might of raised some issues to GUZ...

she delivers a "translation company" CD to GZ. It basically showed our meeting at the airport for the first time.
A CD may make "translation company" look like a snakehead :ph34r: (translation company and snakehead work for the same thing - money so the way they coach their clients may seem similar). Why not just a name card of the translation company?

Contact information like address, phone number of the translation company, if possible, copy of business license of the translation company.

It's too late to say this but it might help newcomers to avoid making the same mistake. B)

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)

1) I'm not sure if he referenced his company or just his signature as preparer.

2) Photos, emails, timeline.

3) GZ: How did you meet?

SO: Through a company.

GZ: What company? The name of the company. How much did you pay?

SO: Name of company is ****. I paid 4880 yuan.

Officer takes file and leaves for a few minutes.

GZ: This company introduced the foreigner to you?

SO: Yes.

GZ: The company provides what other services?

SO: Consultation and translation.

GZ: What is the address and phone number?

SO: I don't remember. The number is in my cell phone.

SO hands the officer our books and information.

GZ: Does your fiance understand Chinese?

SO: No, he is studying Mandarin.

GZ: Do you understand English? How do you communicate.

SO: Understand some English. We use translation machine.

GZ has her pronounce a little English. Leaves and comes back with Red and Blue paper.

4) The avatar is a photo we had taken in GZ on second trip. No, this photo was not submitted.

5) It requested company info, notarized passport copy ( I had sent copies with the petition), and a detailed timeline of our relationship ( I had also sent this with the petition).

I think the issues were her lack of English ability, the "company's role", and one other item that raised suspition. I didn't think about this at the time. When I email Xiaorong, it is in Simplified Chinese. I use Babel Fish to translate. She showed the SO my Chinese emails. His first question was, "Did you write these?" Of course, she answered no.

Frankly, I think we're done for..........

GZ requested a CD.

she delivers a "translation company" CD to GZ. It basically showed our meeting at the airport for the first time.
A CD may make "translation company" look like a snakehead :ph34r: (translation company and snakehead work for the same thing - money so the way they coach their clients may seem similar). Why not just a name card of the translation company?

Contact information like address, phone number of the translation company, if possible, copy of business license of the translation company.

It's too late to say this but it might help newcomers to avoid making the same mistake. B)

GZ requested a CD.
A CD of the two of you together communicating, or she speaks broken English to prove you two can communicate, or you speak simple Chinese. You and your SO can communicate, this is the point.

Can you clarify what the slip said exactly in reference to a CD?

I'm most curious to see if the request appeared to be something about the relationship in general, or communication issues... Was it apparent the company made this CD? Someone had to video the first meeting...

Did the video contain your time together all the way up to the interview period (ergo, the range of the video covers a year or less of the two of you)?

I see Eunice has mentioned the issue I had in mind: Usually the a CD is requested to simply show communication between the two of you. If the video doesn't demonstrate any communication.... then it's not really what they are asking for. The key, as Eunice states is to show you can communication. Most do this video sitting down together at a table, even with pocket translators.

---

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a Translation Company prepare the paperwork and therefore maybe signed the bottom... are they legal representation as a lawyer is who normally are the ones to fill out this 'preparer block' ? You mentioned their track record; you mean others who did a K# or CR1 visa through the US Consulate in GUZ, right?

GZ requested a CD.

GZ has her pronounce a little English. Leaves and comes back with Red and Blue paper.

4) The avatar is a photo we had taken in GZ on second trip. No, this photo was not submitted.

5) It requested company info, notarized passport copy ( I had sent copies with the petition), and a detailed timeline of our relationship ( I had also sent this with the petition).

I think the issues were her lack of English ability, the "company's role", and one other item that raised suspition. I didn't think about this at the time. When I email Xiaorong, it is in Simplified Chinese. I use Babel Fish to translate. She showed the SO my Chinese emails. His first question was, "Did you write these?" Of course, she answered no.

Now we're getting somewhere. :ph34r:

With an interview like this, I would have expected them to ask you for a video of you and your SO communicating. The request would have been specific and to include actual communication between the two of you, not just your meeting at the airport. Most of these requests have required a quick trip to China to make a video. They also would have wanted specific information about the translation company. Perhaps the address and phone number were on the CD.

What specifically was asked for on the first blue slip?

What specifically did you provide in response?

Edited by Duke (see edit history)

Clearly the Company was the focus of the VO for the entire interview...

Lack of english on it's own is not a problem; many (including my SO) could not speak english for the interview.. but coupled together with what the VO might see as a 'pay for bride' service might raise their eyebrows (or at least this VO's).

The email issue is another miscue to add into the mix... Did it have a header to show that it was from you to her? Emails should be carefully selected since (as you see) , you can be questioned on them. (I used babelfish as well, but usually put english and chinese together). At a minimum, your SO should of explained the email and/or communication.

Taken all together, they are questioning this as a bona-fide relationship or a 'pay for bride' arrangement... IMO.

I still think that the additional processing right now is to check out this company...

The possible outcomes are:

1) You get the visa (the company checks out and the video was sufficient)

2) You get another blue slip (this is good news denial; at least you can supply more evidence again).

3) You get a slip with 'return to DHS'.. (this is bad news denial)

-- you can get a lawyer (only a lawyer can hold it, you cannot do it) to try and hold it at the consulate to rebut or

-- wait for it to return to the USCIS for their review and rebut there; or

-- marry, thus abandoning the K1, and refile/rebut at that filing. (this latter issue is more complicated than the one sentence I give it and should be done with a lawyer).

I already asked about the first slip.. it is his answer # 5

Now we're getting somewhere. :ph34r:

With an interview like this, I would have expected them to ask you for a video of you and your SO communicating. The request would have been specific and to include actual communication between the two of you, not just your meeting at the airport. Most of these requests have required a quick trip to China to make a video. They also would have wanted specific information about the translation company. Perhaps the address and phone number were on the CD.

What specifically was asked for on the first blue slip?

What specifically did you provide in response?

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

The various answers given have me a bit confused as to the details. I agree with your assessment completely anyway. The OP also mentions GUZ asking for a CD in an earlier post but does not mention a CD in answer 5. Answer 5 indicates he submitted relationship description with petition but does not indicate specifically what was submitted in response to the requests on the blue slip.

My focus now is on what caused the second blue slip. Was it a failure to comply with the requests? For instance, they asked for a notarized passport copy. The OP indicates "a copy" was submitted with the petition. That would not satisfy the request even if it was notarized because if submitted with the petition, it would not be current. There is also no indication it was notarized. You see where I'm going.

At this point I don't see any choice but to wait until GUZ does whatever they are going to do, without knowing what that is. The best that can be done now is to prepare for the next round to the extent possible.

yes.. i see... good points.

but what we know is that it's in administrative processing (AP); a wrongly submitted copy instead of notarized one I don't think will cause AP.. checking up on the company will cause AP.

WHen he gets the outcome, it could be that the company checks out but something else was not provided as they asked for... thus another blue slip for the part not complied with.

It would be good for the OP to clarify the points you brought up..

The various answers given have me a bit confused as to the details. I agree with your assessment completely anyway. The OP also mentions GUZ asking for a CD in an earlier post but does not mention a CD in answer 5. Answer 5 indicates he submitted relationship description with petition but does not indicate specifically what was submitted in response to the requests on the blue slip.

My focus now is on what caused the second blue slip. Was it a failure to comply with the requests? For instance, they asked for a notarized passport copy. The OP indicates "a copy" was submitted with the petition. That would not satisfy the request even if it was notarized because if submitted with the petition, it would not be current. There is also no indication it was notarized. You see where I'm going.

At this point I don't see any choice but to wait until GUZ does whatever they are going to do, without knowing what that is. The best that can be done now is to prepare for the next round to the extent possible.

One thing we should avoid: when talking about the petitioner at the interview, the expression on some applicants face seems very distant due to language barrier and cultural difference, which can interprete as "It's the business of the translation company. I only walked that man around my city (or maybe I have slept with him)".

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)