Year of the what???

My gf just turned 30 in November which means she was born in 1976. She tells me she was born in the year of the snake, but when I have looked on wiki it says that November 1976 is year of the dragon. :blink: Not that it's important, but either I'm missing something, or she has a short circuit. :)

I think I have read before that the Chinese people measure the age from the date of conception, not birth, but I'm not sure if that's true. :huh: Could that be why she says it's year of the snake?

Any help with my confusion would be much appreciated. :lol:

Edited by kenshin (see edit history)

My gf just turned 30 in November which means she was born in 1976. She tells me she was born in the year of the snake, but when I have looked on wiki it says that November 1976 is year of the dragon. :blink: Not that it's important, but either I'm missing something, or she has a short circuit. :)

I think I have read before that the Chinese people measure the age from the date of conception, not birth, but I'm not sure if that's true. :huh:

Any help with my confusion would be much appreciated. :lol:

My wife says they go by the lunar year. according to the chart she was supposed to be something else ( I can't remember) but instead she is a sheep. There was one day different in the lunar calender. I am chatting with her now. I will ask her again.

Thankyou. Her birthday is November 17th if that helps any. I'm just interested as to why she would say it's the snake.

I am waiting on her to finish her shower. It is cold where she is and she will not use a heater so she is probably basking in the hot water...lol. Hang tight, when she finishes I will aks her.

I am waiting on her to finish her shower. It is cold where she is and she will not use a heater so she is probably basking in the hot water...lol. Hang tight, when she finishes I will aks her.

lol, no rush. :blink: I need to go to work soon anyway, so I may not get back to this till later. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by kenshin (see edit history)

Thankyou. Her birthday is November 17th if that helps any. I'm just interested as to why she would say it's the snake.

ok she was washing clothes in the cold...lol. She says that the chinese use the lunar calender. We look at our calender and what we see is not the same. Perhaps you could search "lunar calender" and you will see why. Hope this helps.

Charles

She definitely turned 30 this November 17 so it has to be 1976 unless there is this thing about measuring the age from conception.

ok she was washing clothes in the cold...lol. She says that the chinese use the lunar calender. We look at our calender and what we see is not the same. Perhaps you could search "lunar calender" and you will see why. Hope this helps.

Charles

I will look it up and see what I can find out. She would probably be a little upset if I said "but you're a dragon, and now you're an angry dragon". :blink:

Thx Charles

Troy

My wife does not use the lunar calendar for this astrological question but uses the normal calendar, such that she was born in 1960 which was a year of the mouse, and so forth. Also, the birth rates go up whenever there is a year of monkey because people want to have a clever child. There are many other examples. I think most Chinese people use the normal solar year to determine their astrological sign.

If she said she is 30 using traditional counting she would have been born in 1977 and the year of the snake is correct. At birth Chinese count the child as one year old.

That is correct.

That's different. :blink: So, in western terminology she is really 29. :lol:

Thankyou for clearing this up.

Did she tell you her actual birth date, or did you figure it by her telling you that she is 30, and her birth month, but not year?

In Chinese culture, they consider a child 1 year old at birth, so in actuality she may be 29 years old but she tell you that she is 30 in Chinese years.

I have a perpetual lunar calendar:

Year of Snake:

Feb 18, 1977 -- Feb 6, 1978 (Chinese age (30))

Chinese Age

The most appropriate Lunarcal screen is the "Display Animal Years" screen. But if you do not already know your animal sign, then you have to "Display Next 12 Years" or "Display Prev 12 Years" and check your birthday and discover your animal sign first.

The age calculation in Chinese culture is different from the English. In Chinese, you are already 1 year old the day you were born. Your Chinese age is calculated by the difference in year between the Chinese New Year your were born and the current Chinese New Year. If current date is past your birthday you add another 1 year to your age. In essence, your Chinese age could be as much as 2 years older than your English age.

For example, if you were born on Jan 23, 2001 (year of Dragon), your age today (Feb 25, 2001) is 1 year old according to English speaking countries. However, in Chinese culture, on Jan 23, 2001 you are already 1 year old. On Feb 25, 2001 (Chinese New Year) you are 2 years old! On Jan 23, 2002 you are 2 years old (you have reached your 1st birthday, but have not reached Chinese New Year yet). On Feb 12, 2002 (Chinese New Year) you will be 3 years old.

http://www.lunarcal.org/UG/UG-Age.html

Great program, I have used for years for figuring lunar dates.

http://www.lunarcal.org/index.html

If she said she is 30 using traditional counting she would have been born in 1977 and the year of the snake is correct. At birth Chinese count the child as one year old.

That is correct.

That's different. :blink: So, in western terminology she is really 29. :huh:

Thankyou for clearing this up.

Are you sure about that? do you want to tell me my wife is 1 year younger then she is and that she wasn't actually born on her birth date but rather was conceived on that date??? you got me totally confused now :lol: