Interview Starters

Hello All,

When my wife begins her interview on Monday, I told her to hand the Visa officer both my passport and her passport. Also, she will hand a letter from me describing our relationship. Does this sound OK to everyone? I won't be able to be in China, but my wife has my passport. It has my records of my past residency in China.

Thank you for your help!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hello All,

When my wife begins her interview on Monday, I told her to hand the Visa officer both my passport and her passport. Also, she will hand a letter from me describing our relationship. Does this sound OK to everyone? I won't be able to be in China, but my wife has my passport. It has my records of my past residency in China.

Thank you for your help!

It might be better to wait until asked before providing anything to the VO. Then, after being asked, only providing that which is requested. For example, if the VO requests photos, show him four or five; even if you brought hundreds. Use this rule across the board. Bring more than you need, but only supply what's requested, and only provide the minimum unless requested to provide more.

A proactive approach might sometimes be good in the business world; as in answering questions before being asked, supplying documents, etc., but it can easily be misperceived at the interview. I think it best to appear relaxed and comfortable, make good eye contact, and smile. Engaging in small talk is not wise, unless of course the VO starts it.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

You filed DCF.. I don't think you have anything to prove in a letter that is not implicitly proved by the fact you were living together at the time of filing.

She should be aware that some VOs will push the letter away if they don't want it... Some might read it.

I would not hand over an original passport of a USC if he is in the US.. have her give a copy of it... again, the VO might push it away or might take it.

Hello All,

Thank you for your help!

Apparently she's already got the passport. (Already mailed to her ??)

Should she take it with her, or make copies?

Hello All,

Thank you for your help!

Apparently she's already got the passport. (Already mailed to her ??)

Should she take it with her, or make copies?

Since she has the passport, I would suggest handing it to the VO when along with her passport when asked. I would hold the letter in reserve until asked for it. As David said, your residence in China with her proves your relationship better than any letter could.