Checking case status

I have the feeling AOS'ers like me are going to need this sooner or later ;)

This is only for applications filed at local BCIS offices and district offices.. NOT at Service Centers.

Finding the Status of Applications Filed at a Local BCIS Office

Calling:

If your application is pending for longer than the projected processing time on your receipt, and you have not recently received any type of notice or update from BCIS, you can call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 for information. When you call, please have your A-number, any receipt number issued to you after BCIS received your application, and the last notice you received about your case. NCSC Customer Service Representatives use information provided by each local office to answer questions about case status and processing times.

Writing

If you write, please provide the following in your letter:

Your current name and address, and, if different, your name as it appears on your application;

Any A-number, which is an 8 or 9 digit number following the letter "A", assigned to you or to your application;

Your date of birth;

The date and place where your application was filed;

Any receipt number from any receipt notice issued by INS or BCIS for your application;

A copy of the most recent notice sent to you by INS or BCIS on your case, if you have received one; and

The date and office where you were fingerprinted and where you were interviewed, if this has been done.

Sign your request, or, if you are preparing the request for the applicant, have him or her sign the request. Please mark your envelope: ATTN: Status Inquiry.

Source: BCIS ( I added the hyperlinks )