Happy and confused, what am I missing here?

Today I received a I-797, Notice of Action, Notice Type: Approval Notice Valid from 12/07/06 to 04/06/07. My file is now being sent to NVC.

I have been looking at the USCIS web page for the California Processing Center and it shows they are processing applications dated June 1, 2006. My application has an application date of Sept, 20, 2006. What am I missing? Am I looking at the wrong web page? Don't get me wrong I am thrilled that my application is moving along, I am just trying to make understand what I am supposed to be looking at.

You are missing nothing, the dates that USCIS posts on their website will always be at 6 months back. This is their way of telling people to not bother contacting them for the allowed 6 month period.

The service center in Vermont tends to take 1 month to process I-129F petitions but they too follow the 6 month rule on their processing times web page, there are the occasional cases even at VSC that can take up to 6 months, they may run into complications with name checks, that can even push cases back at VSC.

Be happy that CSC was as quick at they were.

CSC can take a few weeks to actually send the case to NVC, and then NVC takes about a month to send it on to the consulate.

Today I received a I-797, Notice of Action, Notice Type: Approval Notice Valid from 12/07/06 to 04/06/07. My file is now being sent to NVC.

I have been looking at the USCIS web page for the California Processing Center and it shows they are processing applications dated June 1, 2006. My application has an application date of Sept, 20, 2006. What am I missing? Am I looking at the wrong web page? Don't get me wrong I am thrilled that my application is moving along, I am just trying to make understand what I am supposed to be looking at.

The processing dates shown actually reflect the oldest case the service center is aware they still haven't approved. They use these dates to keep petitioners off their backs until their petition is 30 days older than that date. Otherwise there is no meaning to it.

Your 80 days or so is reasonably typical for I-129 approval. Check the CFL timelines for NOA1 to NOA2 for your visa category.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Looking at the USCIS Processing times at the same time you are observing reality is akin to Scotty having an anti-matter leak in the main engine when Captain Kirk calls for Warp Nine.

The only function of those processing times is for use with requesting an investigation after your paperwork moves beyond their published dates.

Congrats!

So I take it you weren't expecting this NOA2 approval for another 3 months? Feels good to think you got ahead of the process rather than behind right? That's why USCIS posts those dates. :hug: