Questions - Questions

Lawrence,

Welcome to the Candle. I have read your original post and also reading all the replies.

We have a bit in common and I am anxious to read further replies also.

As for the steps and forms for the K-1 visa process, here is a link for you to view:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

For the K-3 visa process:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide

I am sure you will find them very helpful. I have.

Good luck and I look forward to reading more posts from you in the near future.

Clayton

Thanks Clayton!!!

I need all the help I can get.

Lawrence

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Lawrence,

I am a new poster to this forum but have spent many hours here, and VJ, reading and researching my K-1 application. These two forums have been a lifesaver for me so far with their wealth of info and support system.

Like you and your lady, I had been talking to Wenyan (from Fushun) for about 3 months, hit it off real well with her online, and decided to make the trip to meet her in person. Having already researched like mad about the paperwork involved I took 4 copies of the I-129F and 325A with me.

With the internet being the internet I had no clue who was really goihg to meet me in Beijing (she was to travel down to meet me at the airport), but I wanted to be ready in case this online relationship wound up being a good one in person.

I too thought of a ring and decided that it would not be smart for me to buy one here in Uncle Sam territory...heck, I had no clue what to expect in Beijing, was I truly gonna find the love of a lifetime, just gonna have a great adventure with a woman who I would only be friends with, or jump on the next plane out of China? I also had no idea on how Wenyan would even like me as it is a two way street.

I walked off Continental Flight 89 in Beijing, went thru the checks and dragged my luggage into the airport to look for Wenyan...there towards the end of the line she stood with her Ronny / Fei (her short name) sign. We hugged and after a quick kiss we headed for the "Nascar" style taxi ride to the hotel. On the walk to the taxi station I found that she really knew not one word of english...LOL...and even though I've traveled to New Zealand and Australia 6 times, I didn't seem to pick up any Chinese there, so as I'm sitting back in the taxi holding Wenyan's hand laughing at myself and thinking, "this oughta be a real hoot, a redneck in China for 16 days and no way to communicate with this beautiful lady"...about that time Wenyan pulls out a pocket translator with it's Chinese/english dictionary and opened up our line of comunication.

We hit it off like we had known each other for years, saw that the the internet gods had been very good to us by leading us meet each other, and off we headed to Fushun to meet her parents and brothers and their families.

It was in Fushun that we decided to marry and it was a great feeling to go shopping there to find a ring together. I didn't find the rings expensive in Fushun and I really want my marriage to Wenyan being one where she is in on all the decisions so I was glad I hadn't brought a ring with me. The joy of being with Wenyan as she picked out what "she" liked was fantastic.

My trip was from September 30-Oct.15 this year so I am a brand new guy to the K-1 process and I now talk to Wenyan each night on the phone, as well as e-mail her daily.

I hope your trip goes as you and your lady dream that it could. I found my soulmate in Wenyan and the great adventure was started.

I plan on returning to Wenyan in Jan or Feb just after I get the NOA-2, maybe I'll see you on Flight 89. It starts in Texas and I'll get on it in Newark...I'll be the hillbilly in the Aussie hat with the big grin on my face. I also plan on going over to China every 3 months until Wenyan gets that visa approval.

The internet has been vedy, vedy good to me,

Rawknee

I am confused on the whole paperwork thing. So I know I need the I129 and the 325A but what else do I need to take? Where can I go to see the entire paper process and forms, etc??? Everyone here seems like a Pro and I do not understand some of the terms used.. HELP!!!

I had asked her if she wanted to get married in China or get a Fiance Visa and that we could decide when we met. At this point she wants to go the Fiance Visa route, but I will still get her decide (assuming all goes well).

I have read about being careful as some women just want a green card. Well Nicole told me she had met an American who came to China and they did get married there. But after he was home, he sent her divorce papers and never brought her to the USA. So, I guess her family will be very leerly of another American coming to meet their daughter. I will just have to win them over.

In either case, I will fly into HongKong when I fly there and we will then travel to the mainland. I told her that she can plan the trip of where we go. I will bring the paperwork for both a Fiance Visa and a Marriage Visa to cover all bases.

I am new at this so any ideas, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!!!

A few thoughts. If you are meeting in Hong Kong, you will want to be careful to obtain the right visa. A single entry visa will get you into the mainland only one time. If you plan to cross into the mainland more than once, then get a two entry visa.

The marriage visa requires the I-130 form in addition to filling out the I-129 a little differently than for the K1 visa. You'll also need an additional set of G 325a. More importantly, you'll need to take any certified divorce decrees with you when you go. If you decide after your arrival, that you prefer to marry, simply take your SO and her ID with you to the Consulate in Guangzhou, present photocopies of your certified divorce decree (Show but retain the actual certified copy.) and have the Consulate issue you a Certificate of Marriageability. She will also need to present proof of any divorces to her local marriage office. Generally this is in the area of her registered residence or Houkou.

She will need her divorce decrees including one from the USA in order for you to marry or file any visa petition for her as your fiance or wife. You might as well obtain multiple passport type photographs while you are there and if she doesn't already have a passport there is no reason to delay applying for one.

You mention her family lives elsewhere. If I were in your shoes, I would want to both meet her family and see her current residence before committing to marriage but maybe that's just me. Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime regardless.

Duke:

Thank you. We are playing to meet her family while I am there. She owns her own apartment in Shenzhen and I am sure we will be there also.

Thanks for the input.

Lawrence

Hey Lawrence,

I am a new poster to this forum but have spent many hours here, and VJ, reading and researching my K-1 application. These two forums have been a lifesaver for me so far with their wealth of info and support system.

Like you and your lady, I had been talking to Wenyan (from Fushun) for about 3 months, hit it off real well with her online, and decided to make the trip to meet her in person. Having already researched like mad about the paperwork involved I took 4 copies of the I-129F and 325A with me.

With the internet being the internet I had no clue who was really goihg to meet me in Beijing (she was to travel down to meet me at the airport), but I wanted to be ready in case this online relationship wound up being a good one in person.

I too thought of a ring and decided that it would not be smart for me to buy one here in Uncle Sam territory...heck, I had no clue what to expect in Beijing, was I truly gonna find the love of a lifetime, just gonna have a great adventure with a woman who I would only be friends with, or jump on the next plane out of China? I also had no idea on how Wenyan would even like me as it is a two way street.

I walked off Continental Flight 89 in Beijing, went thru the checks and dragged my luggage into the airport to look for Wenyan...there towards the end of the line she stood with her Ronny / Fei (her short name) sign. We hugged and after a quick kiss we headed for the "Nascar" style taxi ride to the hotel. On the walk to the taxi station I found that she really knew not one word of english...LOL...and even though I've traveled to New Zealand and Australia 6 times, I didn't seem to pick up any Chinese there, so as I'm sitting back in the taxi holding Wenyan's hand laughing at myself and thinking, "this oughta be a real hoot, a redneck in China for 16 days and no way to communicate with this beautiful lady"...about that time Wenyan pulls out a pocket translator with it's Chinese/english dictionary and opened up our line of comunication.

We hit it off like we had known each other for years, saw that the the internet gods had been very good to us by leading us meet each other, and off we headed to Fushun to meet her parents and brothers and their families.

It was in Fushun that we decided to marry and it was a great feeling to go shopping there to find a ring together. I didn't find the rings expensive in Fushun and I really want my marriage to Wenyan being one where she is in on all the decisions so I was glad I hadn't brought a ring with me. The joy of being with Wenyan as she picked out what "she" liked was fantastic.

My trip was from September 30-Oct.15 this year so I am a brand new guy to the K-1 process and I now talk to Wenyan each night on the phone, as well as e-mail her daily.

I hope your trip goes as you and your lady dream that it could. I found my soulmate in Wenyan and the great adventure was started.

I plan on returning to Wenyan in Jan or Feb just after I get the NOA-2, maybe I'll see you on Flight 89. It starts in Texas and I'll get on it in Newark...I'll be the hillbilly in the Aussie hat with the big grin on my face. I also plan on going over to China every 3 months until Wenyan gets that visa approval.

The internet has been vedy, vedy good to me,

Rawknee

I am confused on the whole paperwork thing. So I know I need the I129 and the 325A but what else do I need to take? Where can I go to see the entire paper process and forms, etc??? Everyone here seems like a Pro and I do not understand some of the terms used.. HELP!!!

I had asked her if she wanted to get married in China or get a Fiance Visa and that we could decide when we met. At this point she wants to go the Fiance Visa route, but I will still get her decide (assuming all goes well).

I have read about being careful as some women just want a green card. Well Nicole told me she had met an American who came to China and they did get married there. But after he was home, he sent her divorce papers and never brought her to the USA. So, I guess her family will be very leerly of another American coming to meet their daughter. I will just have to win them over.

In either case, I will fly into HongKong when I fly there and we will then travel to the mainland. I told her that she can plan the trip of where we go. I will bring the paperwork for both a Fiance Visa and a Marriage Visa to cover all bases.

I am new at this so any ideas, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!!!

A few thoughts. If you are meeting in Hong Kong, you will want to be careful to obtain the right visa. A single entry visa will get you into the mainland only one time. If you plan to cross into the mainland more than once, then get a two entry visa.

The marriage visa requires the I-130 form in addition to filling out the I-129 a little differently than for the K1 visa. You'll also need an additional set of G 325a. More importantly, you'll need to take any certified divorce decrees with you when you go. If you decide after your arrival, that you prefer to marry, simply take your SO and her ID with you to the Consulate in Guangzhou, present photocopies of your certified divorce decree (Show but retain the actual certified copy.) and have the Consulate issue you a Certificate of Marriageability. She will also need to present proof of any divorces to her local marriage office. Generally this is in the area of her registered residence or Houkou.

She will need her divorce decrees including one from the USA in order for you to marry or file any visa petition for her as your fiance or wife. You might as well obtain multiple passport type photographs while you are there and if she doesn't already have a passport there is no reason to delay applying for one.

You mention her family lives elsewhere. If I were in your shoes, I would want to both meet her family and see her current residence before committing to marriage but maybe that's just me. Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime regardless.

Duke:

Thank you. We are playing to meet her family while I am there. She owns her own apartment in Shenzhen and I am sure we will be there also.

Thanks for the input.

Lawrence

i just wanted to say , welcome , i came to cfl by accident , found this site after i filed, but you are one of the luckey one,s you have found the best site for all your need to know questions, there are many pro's here and the finest people in the world, never meet anyone on here but i fill , i have many new found friends,just be prepaired for a long strain on you mental side ,hell on earth, but at the end , there is almost always a rainbow :candle:

WOW, so much information. Thank you all and keep it coming. I need all the help I can get.

More info, I am 57 and Nicole is 41.

I wanted to address the concerns raised on her looking to marry another American. I am not trying to defend her but when I first asked, she seemed insulted a little but then said she would tell me. When she did, she then asked that we not discuss it again. I think she was hurt from the way she wrote it over having to tell it to someone.

If things work out, then I want her to decide if we go the K1 or K3 route, and I still feel that way. I agree that we need to meet and spend time together, but that is also what she told me. I think she now suggested going the k1 route possible for a few reasons, such as not putting the family through another marriage and who knows what will happen; the K1 processis suppose to be faster; with the K1 we will get months together to see if we want to make this permanent; and maybe she was insulted that I did push the issue.

I also read that for women over 40 in China it is very hard if not impossible to find someone in China. But in the end who knows.

I did have one person PM me telling me to watch out for ladies from Shenzhen as they are after your money and will only stay with you if you have money. I am not writing this to insult anyone but to get a response. I could make this same comment for parts of the USA as well but is this a concern for Shenzhen or anywhere in China??? Again, I mean no disrespect.

She seems to want a simple life. She will work or stay home depending on what I want; we can live in a city or country based upon what I want, and so on. Of course if we were going to be together, then I would not make any decisions without talking to her.

Everybody says that i/we need to be cautious and I agree with that. I do want to be careful but also do not want to over anlayze a situation and make it bad when it is not.

In the end spending time with Nicole when I come to China will be the best yardstick fior measuring the relationship.

Any comments????

Also, it was said to bring presents for the family. I was planning on doing that but what are the right sort of presents. I could bring the wrong presents and offend as well. Some ideas would be appreciated. Also are there any threads here or books to read on understanding the Chinese culture??? I was brought us in New York City where we speak our mind so I would love to understand the culture better.

when I first asked, she seemed insulted a little but then said she would tell me. When she did, she then asked that we not discuss it again. I think she was hurt from the way she wrote it over having to tell it to someone.

not really unusual. Some are not accustomed to sharing private issues too early.. and your 'prying' on a certain level...

I did have one person PM me telling me to watch out for ladies from Shenzhen as they are after your money and will only stay with you if you have money. I am not writing this to insult anyone but to get a response. I could make this same comment for parts of the USA as well but is this a concern for Shenzhen or anywhere in China???

see this thread:

Women from Shenzhen, are they money hungry

I did have one

Also are there any threads here or books to read on understanding the Chinese culture??? I was brought us in New York City where we speak our mind so I would love to understand the culture better.

for a starter...here's a collection I pulled together at the start of the year... but you can just scan titles in forums too.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15226

I think you'll find the time difference between K1 and K3 can be less than the difference between random pairs of K1 petitions. As a practical matter, there is no reason the time difference should be any more than 30 days and that's just the time between filing the I-130 and receiving the receipt for doing so. It could be as short as 10 to 14 days. My own K3 was faster than many of the K1 timelines you'll see here, even considering the month between filing the two petitions.

I have no idea how you could possibly tell someone that the average time for a K-1 and K-3 is about 30 days. I believe the average for K-1's is about 9 months where K-3's appear to be closer to 18 months.

Perhaps you should post your timeline to allow us to understand your expertise better, we wouldn't want anyone thinking you were just blowing smoke.

I think you'll find the time difference between K1 and K3 can be less than the difference between random pairs of K1 petitions. As a practical matter, there is no reason the time difference should be any more than 30 days and that's just the time between filing the I-130 and receiving the receipt for doing so. It could be as short as 10 to 14 days. My own K3 was faster than many of the K1 timelines you'll see here, even considering the month between filing the two petitions.

I have no idea how you could possibly tell someone that the average time for a K-1 and K-3 is about 30 days. I believe the average for K-1's is about 9 months where K-3's appear to be closer to 18 months.

I think upon closer reading, you'll see I referred to "the time difference". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The timeline information is available for all to compare, including examples of K3 visas issued faster than some K1's. The last time I looked there were a few K3 timelines shorter than 8 months. In any event, they are all available for anybody to examine. Thanks David.

My wife had her K3 visa in hand 8 months and 10 days from our marriage and under 8 months from the day I mailed the I-130.

Edited by Duke (see edit history)

I think upon closer reading, you'll see I referred to "the time difference". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The timeline information is available for all to compare, including examples of K3 visas issued faster than some K1's. The last time I looked there were a few K3 timelines shorter than 8 months. In any event, they are all available for anybody to examine. Thanks David.

My wife had her K3 visa in hand 8 months and 10 days from our marriage and under 8 months from the day I mailed the I-130.

Yes, I understood you meant time difference and the collective averages for the visa processing of K-1 and K-3 visas is considerablely longer than 30 days. But I fail to see the stats you are speaking, perhaps you will show us specifically what you are taking about and not just point us in a direction to aimlessly wander.

In trying to understand how your situation fell into one of the exceptions for processing your timeline would be helpful. Could it be that:

1. You were married in Hong Kong.

2. Fast Service Center for initial processing.

3. You benefited from the
IMBRA
backlog.

4. Your case missed all the normal speed bumps.

5. You are just full of crap.

I am sure you can see how not having a timeline makes it difficult to understand your situation or possibly motives. Plus in recent history the service centers who process specific visa types have changed in an attempt to speed things up, which with our government agencies seems to have the opposite affect.

The OP should know there are those who would supply their own brand of morality on others and suggest they get married in China without explaining the potential delays involved. These people seem to have an issue with the fiancee visa or "living in sin visa."

I am not suggesting one visa type over the other but feel it is important that we provide straight answers that provide all the information to understand the potential consequences and not cause others undue delay in bringing their family together.

Yes, I understood you meant time difference and the collective averages for the visa processing of K-1 and K-3 visas is considerablely longer than 30 days. But I fail to see the stats you are speaking, perhaps you will show us specifically what you are taking about and not just point us in a direction to aimlessly wander.

In trying to understand how your situation fell into one of the exceptions for processing your timeline would be helpful. Could it be that:

IMBRA
backlog.

I am sure you can see how not having a timeline makes it difficult to understand your situation or possibly motives. Plus in recent history the service centers who process specific visa types have changed in an attempt to speed things up, which with our government agencies seems to have the opposite affect.

The OP should know there are those who would supply their own brand of morality on others and suggest they get married in China without explaining the potential delays involved. These people seem to have an issue with the fiancee visa or "living in sin visa."

I am not suggesting one visa type over the other but feel it is important that we provide straight answers that provide all the information to understand the potential consequences and not cause others undue delay in bringing their family together.

I'm not suggesting one type visa over the other either.

The data I'm using is the CFL YTD timeline compilation.

If you take the Sub IV (I take it that means the number of days between filing or NOA1 and interview.) day count, total it, divide by the number of data points, then divide by 30 day per month, you will find the 20 K3 timelines yield a result of 9.24 months from NOA1 (or is it filing date?) to interview.

The same data on K1 petitions yields 47 data points and an average of 9.9 months. If you take out the three petitions with timelines exceeding 400 days, the K1 average is an identical 9.24 months.

My reference to a 30 day difference was in reference to the fact that one must wait for the NOA1 from an I-130 filing before filing the K3 petition. I thought 30 days was a conservative estimate on CR1 filing to NOA1.

My own experience tracks with the short end of the K3 timeline data on file here at CFL. I believe all the K3 petitions in that data were processed at the same service center, NBC in Missourri. Mine was too. It appears that only 3 or 4 of the petitions in this data were subject to IMBRA. Mine was not. I hope this answers your questions satisfactorily.

IMO.. one should not look exclusively at "filing to finish" times... The bottom line is that the entire "process" of meeting someone, getting married or becoming engaged, deciding to file, going through the paper process to get a visa and eventual greencard... will definitely take longer if you pursue the marriage path.

To file for a spouse implies you get married; to get married means you must do all that this requires (while someone engaged could file quicker); unless your getting married on the first trip... and I seriously doubt that is the norm to do (nor is adviseable).. which means many get married on a second trip... ergo, more time is adding up already since one cannot file till they are married...

Don't let the rush to file mean a rush to marry or a rush to get engaged... Don't let a one or two year process result in a failed relationship in less time than the process took. If this is a lifetime decision, take your time and make sure your head is making decisions when the heart should not be the primary driving factor.

IMO.. one should not look exclusively at "filing to finish" times... The bottom line is that the entire "process" of meeting someone, getting married or becoming engaged, deciding to file, going through the paper process to get a visa and eventual greencard... will definitely take longer if you pursue the marriage path.

To file for a spouse implies you get married; to get married means you must do all that this requires (while someone engaged could file quicker); unless your getting married on the first trip... and I seriously doubt that is the norm to do (nor is adviseable).. which means many get married on a second trip... ergo, more time is adding up already since one cannot file till they are married...

Don't let the rush to file mean a rush to marry or a rush to get engaged... Don't let a one or two year process result in a failed relationship in less time than the process took. If this is a lifetime decision, take your time and make sure your head is making decisions when the heart should not be the primary driving factor.

I so agree!!!

I am not writing all this to air laundry, but I while we have never met, I am beginning to feel like we want the same things and would make each other very happy. She was not proud of what happened with the American but I guess it shows that both Americans and foreign nationals can prey on each other.

Phantom, I'd like to urge that you proceed with caution. I'm sensing red flag alerts from reading the above. The fact that she has already married an American before and is wanting to do it again after she was completely humiliated with the previous experience doesn't sound positive to me. Her loss of face after her divorce to the American is enormous and can't be overstated. And add the fact that she wants to go the K-1 route this time, it sounds to me like she may just want entry to the US. She wasn't able to achieve it last time with getting married in China first, this time she wants to try getting to the US before getting married.

While she may be quite sincere with this relationship, I just want to urge caution. For her to lose face once before and want to try it again is extremely unusual for a Chinese person, unless she has ulterior motives.

Conduct plenty of due diligence and best wishes going forward.

I had the exact same feeling on the exact same text.. and decided not to mention it.. but you really need to just meet her and keep the head at the forefront of what you see and keep the heart under guard a little... but since an astute comment has been made.. I'll second it.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. It is not rushing the process, but finding true love that matters to me and I think Nicole.

Since these posts on Caution, I have been reading chinese vs american culture and life styles, etc. Trying to understand what I feel and what Nicole is saying.

I have read her last e-mail to me a dozen times. We can read something and interpret things different ways. I do not know when she had the experience with the American (now recent), but I have read that a Chinese woman over 40 has few prospects for marriage in China and that may be part of her motivation to try again.

When I re-read her last e-mail to me, what I heard was that he K1 process would allow us to spend more time together and really get to know each other, rather then rushing into a marriage. And unless I am wrong, the K1 process bring her to the USA and if we do not get married then she has to go back (Which I would think is as much an enbarrassment). She had a failed marriage early on with a Chinese gentlemen who cheated on her and then now the American experience. She speaks of our knowing each other. When I would write and tell her she is beautiful, she would respond that she is looking for the beauty inside not outside.

I also think Nicole talking about the K1 route, may be in part because of my probing quesitons and her wondering if I am the man for her??? I hope I did not blow it here!!!!

I have found her to be caring, wise, smart and very down to earth. I have aksed her probably 4-5 times for a mailing address so I can send her a holiday present and she has not sent one. In reading about Chinese culture, I found this is normal and also says to me she is not after $$$ or things.

People have written to me and raised concerns or red flags that I have taken seriously, but upon research and re-reading e-mails and thought, well, I do not feel they are valid. or at least red flags to me. But I respect everyones opinions and still want to hear what everyone things.

We have all had bad experiences in relationships and need to be careful in moving forward with a foreign spouse. But as I am seeing, in China they can say the same thing...

So please tell me where I am wrong.... or what you think and feel.

Lawrence

IMBRA
backlog.

I'm not suggesting one type visa over the other either.

The data I'm using is the CFL YTD timeline compilation.

If you take the Sub IV (I take it that means the number of days between filing or NOA1 and interview.) day count, total it, divide by the number of data points, then divide by 30 day per month, you will find the 20 K3 timelines yield a result of 9.24 months from NOA1 (or is it filing date?) to interview.

The same data on K1 petitions yields 47 data points and an average of 9.9 months. If you take out the three petitions with timelines exceeding 400 days, the K1 average is an identical 9.24 months.

My reference to a 30 day difference was in reference to the fact that one must wait for the NOA1 from an I-130 filing before filing the K3 petition. I thought 30 days was a conservative estimate on CR1 filing to NOA1.

My own experience tracks with the short end of the K3 timeline data on file here at CFL. I believe all the K3 petitions in that data were processed at the same service center, NBC in Missourri. Mine was too. It appears that only 3 or 4 of the petitions in this data were subject to IMBRA. Mine was not. I hope this answers your questions satisfactorily.

I would say that the numbers you are currently using are somewhat skewed due to IMBRA.

Sorry if I seem cynical concerning the information you have suggested previously, but we not all that long ago had a member provided such a large amount of misinformation that he was banned by popular demand. But the strangest part was that he was the one who called for the vote to bounce him or not and would never attempt to validate the misinformation he spewed.

I don't think he's surprised by anything you're saying here, Lee.

Lee, you did come down pretty hard on the guy.

I don't think he was "imposing" his opinions on anybody, like who you alluded to had done, but rather stated his findings, which everyone here should feel free to do so. Remember "nooneufo" and "timeline"?