joint filing for taxes

When applying for a ITIN number for spouse(W-7), does it have to be submitted with the actual return? Can you go to the local IRS office and submit the application along with notarized passport and wait for the number to be assigned and then file?

Good Question - I was wondering the same thing. In reading the instructions it seems to imply that you have to file it with your current tax return.

The instructions do indicate you are to file the W7 with a tax return. I filed as single and waited until my wife was here to send an amended return and W7. I'm actually on hold for the ITIN unit right now because they mistakenly returned my daughter's W7 saying she wasn't listed as a dependant on the return. She was listed correctly. I'll ask when I get through to a human and report back. You could call them directly at 215.516.4846. They've had some system problems lately so the hold times are long.

I filed following the instructions (W-7 with return) last year and all went smoothly. Recieved a notice with the ITIN number. I did not notice any delay in getting the tax refund (direct deposit).

Did it take longer than usual to receive the refund than previous returns?

I tried to do this last week and it was confirmed that it can only be done at filing.

I'd advise having a copy of your evidence, such as passport and any other documentation certified by the IRS or other recognized authority instead of sending the originals.

The IRS now has 2 addresses available to send tax returns that are needing an ITIN, the new one is in Austin and supposedly they will publish updated instructions before the new tax season begins.

I tried to do this last week and it was confirmed that it can only be done at filing.

I'd advise having a copy of your evidence, such as passport and any other documentation certified by the IRS or other recognized authority instead of sending the originals.

The IRS now has 2 addresses available to send tax returns that are needing an ITIN, the new one is in Austin and supposedly they will publish updated instructions before the new tax season begins.

I gave up holding after two hours on speaker today. My wife's ITIN was issued using Notarized copies of her passport and visa pages. The Notary wrote a simple statement certifying she seen the originals and then signed, dated and stamped the statement and the pages. Any IRS office can accept and forward the copies if they see the originals.