I-864 vs. I-134

I sent back our P-3 package early this month, but today my fiancee received the package back with a rrequest to fill separate forms for her daughter who is only 14. I thought she did not ned to file separate forms. GUZ also sent a form I-864. I thought I-864 is only for relatives not for fiancees. I gave her I-134. Which one I should use? Can someone help clarify? Thanks.

Correct I-864 is used for CR-1, IR-1, and DCF cases, not K visas, which are Non immigrant visas. I-134 is the correct form, they must have sent the form in error.

What kind of Affidavit of Support does my K-1 petitioner need to prepare for my visa interview?

K-1 petitioners should prepare the I-134 Affidavit of Support, which they can get from their local CIS office or on the CIS website http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/. However, it is not a required document as long as applicants can demonstrate at the interview that she/he will not become a public charge in the States.

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/kvfaq.html Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Correct I-864 is used for CR-1, IR-1, and DCF cases, not K visas, which are Non immigrant visas. I-134 is the correct form, they must have sent the form in error.

What kind of Affidavit of Support does my K-1 petitioner need to prepare for my visa interview?

K-1 petitioners should prepare the I-134 Affidavit of Support, which they can get from their local CIS office or on the CIS website http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/. However, it is not a required document as long as applicants can demonstrate at the interview that she/he will not become a public charge in the States.

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/kvfaq.html

agreed... I-134 for K1 cases. You bring that to the interview, it does not go back to the consulate as part of P-3.

Yes, you must fill P3 docs for the daughter, if you want her to get a visa...

Realize the DS-230 is the Visa Application... it states: "Complete one copy of this form for yourself and each member of your family, regardless of age, who will immigrate with you."

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

It won't hurt to complete it, even if they sent it by mistake. You'll have to complete one when you file for AOS anyway, so what you do now, will save a little work later. Nicely, this new I-864 does not require notarization.

I sent back our P-3 package early this month, but today my fiancee received the package back with a rrequest to fill separate forms for her daughter who is only 14. I thought she did not ned to file separate forms. GUZ also sent a form I-864. I thought I-864 is only for relatives not for fiancees. I gave her I-134. Which one I should use? Can someone help clarify? Thanks.

Unlike others I make the assumption that GZ sent the WRONG affidavit of support and you should complete the I-134 for the interview. While it is possible they MIGHT accept the I-864 for a K-1/K-2 interview it is also possible they could issue a blue slip because their instructions say that the acceptable document for these visa categories is the I-134.

Now if you want to do both, that works, but do not have them show up for the interview without the I-134.

Unlike others I make the assumption that GZ sent the WRONG affidavit of support and you should complete the I-134 for the interview. While it is possible they MIGHT accept the I-864 for a K-1/K-2 interview it is also possible they could issue a blue slip because their instructions say that the acceptable document for these visa categories is the I-134.

Now if you want to do both, that works, but do not have them show up for the interview without the I-134.

9 FAM states explicitly a I-864 is not acceptable for K cases. I've heard on VJ of only one consulate that has asked for this for K cases, but I think the feeling was [by members] was that it wrongly applied but one does it since they know this consulate...