Police Certificate

POLICE RECORD

Generally available, reliable. Persons should apply for a certificate of no criminal record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) (or certain types of employers such as state owned enterprises), then make application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document. Persons without a criminal record will be able to obtain a certificate to that effect. Certificates for individuals with one or more criminal convictions will list all convictions for which records still exist. The certificates purport to reflect all criminal convictions during residence in China. Police records are generally not available for the period prior to 1949. Police records also are not available for those who were in China in diplomatic status including those working for international organizations such as the United Nations. Notarial police certificates are based in part upon records from an individual's employer. If an employer refuses to release records, the notarial office is not able to issue a certificate. This is the case for persons sent abroad for education by the Chinese Government who fail to return to China.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...der/C/China.htm

Thanks for your replies.

After I read your responds and all threads, I'm still not clear about one thing. If currently one's "hukou" is in Beijing but he lived in his hometown for a number of years before moved to Beijing, his hometown(police dept and prior employer) now is refusing to issue the record due to absence of "hukou", what can I do? Is the notaried certificate from Beijing good enough for the interview? Does Guangzhou consulate buy it? Or do I have to get one from the hometown?

Anyone has the experience? Could you please share your story with me? Any advise or suggestion is highly appreciated.