Another Q about TB/required medical checks

As there is already another thread about TB (sorry, excuse the repetition), I just wanted to elaborate and go into a little bit of what I'm asking for. I was reading several threads and researching the TB. This has prompted me to post my own question as I was confused upon reading several TB threads and also health checks. I'm still in the early stages of the K1 visa process. Just got my NOA1 and awaiting my NOA2 now. But I have been reading over the requirements for vaccinations and health records and a topic came to interest, the TB debacle.

Now, there has been some people who have at the point been testing positive for TB through the skin testing. Now I'm no health scientist, but it seems there are two types (hypothetically) of TB. An "infection" which is an inactive state and is asymptomatic and an "infection" state which is the active state and symptoms are present. It is also apparant that some people can be infected and never show symptoms and still be healthly fine. Just some open Q's:

-When is TB testing needed in the process? If at all? During the initial medical appointment in China? P.O.E.? AOS? If not, is it recommended then.. say for peace of mind or just knowing? I've heard people even refusing to get certain tests, perhaps because of conflict between several doctors and patients?

-I think there were some threads for people who tested positive because their fiance(e)'s had receive a dose of the BCG vaccine as a child or their youth (since TB is kind of a problem in China?).. and this created some conflict in the later tests and results to come. Any comments or suggestions on this? I am unsure whether my fiance had been vaccinated even for TB as a child or not. My fiance doesn't know for absolute sure either. Any one with similar problems?

-Any other info regarding required health checks, vaccinations, tests, etcI should watch out or be on alert for?

Thanks!

Edited by Tiger320 (see edit history)

-When is TB testing needed in the process? If at all? During the initial medical appointment in China? P.O.E.? AOS? If not, is it recommended then.. say for peace of mind or just knowing? I've heard people even refusing to get certain tests, perhaps because of conflict between several doctors and patients?

Thanks!

Isn't it during the medical exam that is required before the Visa interview?

At the medical facilities in GZ I am only aware of them taking a chest x-ray to check for TB, I am not sure what conditions or if it is only some of the medical facilities who are performing a skin test.

There seems to be some major conflict concerning the BCG vaccine within the medical community. The CDC states that childhood immunization using the BCG vaccine will not affect the test of an adult. Other doctors will disagree saying that the vaccine seems to have a long lasting affect on the skin test results, which is why there is a test that will rule out a false positive caused by BCG.

I'm not sure if it is the CDC, drug companies, CYA doctors who feel it is appropriate to not rule out all possible causes of the skin test results before moving onto treatment of suspected TB.

Reading the potential issues caused by the treatment is enough to scare a healthy person and even those who are sick.

Guest ShaQuaNew

At the medical facilities in GZ I am only aware of them taking a chest x-ray to check for TB, I am not sure what conditions or if it is only some of the medical facilities who are performing a skin test.

There seems to be some major conflict concerning the BCG vaccine within the medical community. The CDC states that childhood immunization using the BCG vaccine will not affect the test of an adult. Other doctors will disagree saying that the vaccine seems to have a long lasting affect on the skin test results, which is why there is a test that will rule out a false positive caused by BCG.

I'm not sure if it is the CDC, drug companies, CYA doctors who feel it is appropriate to not rule out all possible causes of the skin test results before moving onto treatment of suspected TB.

Reading the potential issues caused by the treatment is enough to scare a healthy person and even those who are sick.

Lee is correct about the TB vaccine, which was widely used in China at one time. It appears that many of those that were vaccinated with this vaccine may react positively with the skin test. The skin test uses a two-pronged needle, which the tech dips in serum, and pokes about 8-12 times in the tender part of the forearm. A postive reaction will show up in about two days, with a variety of reactions, from mild, to severe.

Now, keep in mind, that the medical professionals say it's not a good idea to perform subsequent skin tests on those who test postive; they however use the chest x-ray to determine whether the positive TB test, was an actual case of TB or not.

A skin test does not determine whether or not one has TB, but may. A chest x-ray is needed to make that determination. Also, a positive skin test occurs from those that have been exposed to someone with an active case of TB, or were vaccinated with the serum Lee mentioned.

From my experience with my ex-wife, who gets positive reaction from TB skin tests, is that she was exposed to her mother, who has somehow contracted a minor case of TB. My ex-wife however never developed the disease. Because her body reacted and beat the exposure, her body has the anti-bodies, or whatever is inside her that reacts to the skin test. Chest x-rays show no scaring that occurs from those with previous, or active cases of TB.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Can anyone tell me why this is required since there are millions of illegals here that probably have TB, are serving food and tests are not required. Another case of scewing people who obey the laws?

I'm not sure, but I think Nancy Pelosi had something to do with it... :rolleyes:

Ah, okay. It's just that I always thought the majority of foreigners (which pretty muchs everyone not living in the US--so basically applicable to all applicants in a sense) was BCG-vaccinated and will thenshow positive results on a TB skin test. Perhaps not everyone does show it, then? I'm assuming that most of the people here going through the K1 visas and etc. did not have too much of a problem, eh? Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray for the best, heh.

So I guess they do initial testing for that during the first medical interview, then from there... do they test anymore... say after AOS or anything else like that?

Edited by Tiger320 (see edit history)

So I guess they do initial testing for that during the first medical interview, then from there... do they test anymore... say after AOS or anything else like that?

bumping this question..

I'm not sure if one goes to a civil surgeon who then requires another physical (which isn't needed and one can simply call another), if they would do a Tb test again?