Consulate Layout

A few of these things, I don't remember seeing before. So here goes:

The consulate is in the center section of a building with 2 towers - the fifth (top) floor circled here:

http://i13.tinypic.com/2hga0m0.jpg

The building itself is open - anyone can come and go as they please. The guards seem to be there simply to watch over "No Loitering" zones - around the waiting queue, between the queue and the escalators, and around the small entry area on the fourth floor (which contains simply a desk for the guards and an escalator to the fifth floor) and to admit visa applicants. The consulate itself is on the fifth floor.

This is the waiting queue outside the building. The guards were distracted by someone to the left. All of them left their posts and joined in the argument, although one came by within seconds to tell me to put up the camera.

http://i14.tinypic.com/2a9wuw5.jpg

American citizens can go to the fifth floor anytime they want - just show your passport to the guard. I reccomend that everyone do this after their SO has checked in to scope out the area - see where your SO is waiting and where you might meet her. You can also meet her/him by the down escalator after the interview.

On the fourth floor, aside from the consulate checkpoint, there is a coffee shop and travel and visa services. The "sharks" that day were all from the travel services (no lawyers).

This picture is of the coffee shop, what we have called a "Starbucks". It is actually called "Chamey Coffee", with a different logo and no apparent affiliation. The consulate escalator (up) is to the left of the coffee shop, while the down escalator that everyone takes when leaving the consulate is on the right (behind that group of travel agencies).

http://i14.tinypic.com/2youx4j.jpg

Cool stuff Randy. It's really easy to see (for those of us who haven't been there) how busy they really are. Thanks.......

Manyun and I arrived at Mr. Yang's hotel (immediatly around the corner to the left) on a Sunday, and her interview was the following Thursday. Every morning I wandered down (I was horribly caffeine-deprived...don't get all excited because there are 4 7-11's in the immediate area. They do not have coffee :o ) and the line was at least as long as you see in the photo, sometimes even longer. And, it is four-people wide. It is incredible that they are processed as quickly as they are.

During the last half-hour or so, I was seated in the center of the pic of the coffee shop, right by the aisle. When Manyun came down and showed me the blue slip, I went off, and even more-so as I read it. I think I attracted every lawyer in the immediate vicinity. I think they could smell the blood in the water :D

Edited by Michael and Manyun (see edit history)

Cool stuff Randy. It's really easy to see (for those of us who haven't been there) how busy they really are. Thanks.......

Manyun and I arrived at Mr. Yang's hotel (immediatly around the corner to the left) on a Sunday, and her interview was the following Thursday. Every morning I wandered down (I was horribly caffeine-deprived...don't get all excited because there are 4 7-11's in the immediate area. They do not have coffee :( ) and the line was at least as long as you see in the photo, sometimes even longer. And, it is four-people wide. It is incredible that they are processed as quickly as they are.

During the last half-hour or so, I was seated in the center of the pic of the coffee shop, right by the aisle. When Manyun came down and showed me the blue slip, I went off, and even more-so as I read it. I think I attracted every lawyer in the immediate vicinity. I think they could smell the blood in the water :lol:

Not even any green tea? A little caffiene is better than none. ;) I think their smell is one of money :ph34r: With so many people, no wonder they have a hard time of "getting it right."

Manyun and I arrived at Mr. Yang's hotel (immediatly around the corner to the left) on a Sunday, and her interview was the following Thursday. Every morning I wandered down (I was horribly caffeine-deprived...don't get all excited because there are 4 7-11's in the immediate area. They do not have coffee ;) ) and the line was at least as long as you see in the photo, sometimes even longer. And, it is four-people wide. It is incredible that they are processed as quickly as they are.

During the last half-hour or so, I was seated in the center of the pic of the coffee shop, right by the aisle. When Manyun came down and showed me the blue slip, I went off, and even more-so as I read it. I think I attracted every lawyer in the immediate vicinity. I think they could smell the blood in the water :lol:

Not even any green tea? A little caffiene is better than none. :P I think their smell is one of money :ph34r: With so many people, no wonder they have a hard time of "getting it right."

Green tea??? You mean that slightly-colored hot water that the serve over there????? Sorry, not worth the trouble.

My oldest son requested that, after my second visit, I bring him back some "authentic" Chinese green tea. Ok, so I have friends of Manyun take me to a tea dealer. As we sit there dickering over prices, the dealer takes some tea leaves, pours hot water over them, and immediately pours the "tea" into our cups. NOT!!!!! I want flavor, ya know??? I steep my Lipton teabags for 10 minutes... :(

Then they serve a beef dish that makes your eyes water and your nose run. Go figure, huh?