Missing Information/Incorrect Information ?

My I-864 has been returned after 3 months of assuming it was all done properly. They said the income listed for my parents did not match the IRS records. My parents file jointly, I used W-2's to calculate their individual income and list it under other qualifying persons.

My question is, which one of these amounts is correct.

1. Line 15 on the Income Tax form 1040A which is listed as

15. Add lines 7-14b (far right column) This is your total income > $$$$$$$

***note*** line 14A is not in the far right column, 14b is however********

2. Line 14a on the Income Tax form 1040A which is listed as

14a. Social Security Benefits

Or would I add the 2 together?

The total amount they filed does not appear to include the Social Security Benefits, there is a line 14b called Taxable Amount, which appears to be the part of the Social Security Benefits that are taxable and get added to total income for taxation purposes.

When I sent in the I-864 I added line 14a. Social Security Benefits and line 15. Total Income together and wrote that as the total. I am unsure what to write, the service center said to contact a tax attorney (because they didn't know).

So how should I do this, just write line 15 and forget the Social Security Benefits?

Add Social Security Benefits and Total Income?

I've never filed taxes, I always let someone else file them for me and I am unsure of how Social Security Benefits are taxed and figured into income, my parents say they don't know which way I should total the income. If it would help I can scan a copy of the 1040A form and show where I am lost.

Also, when entering the amount I earned, do I write total gross income from the IRS transcript or adjusted amount?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by trickyspark (see edit history)