i-693 or NOT...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm heard from a few in the Central Florida area that an I-693 is NOT required at the time of initial AOS filing. These folks are saying that the examination may be done by the civil surgeon before the AOS interview, and the results brought at that time. Has anyone filed their AOS documents in their area or this area and found that acceptable?

J

I'm heard from a few in the Central Florida area that an I-693 is NOT required at the time of initial AOS filing. These folks are saying that the examination may be done by the civil surgeon before the AOS interview, and the results brought at that time. Has anyone filed their AOS documents in their area or this area and found that acceptable?

J

For K1, you should only need the vacinnation supplement. It states right in the instructions it is optional, but others have reported getting an RFE for not including it. Also, all apps go through Chicago. It is quite possible your app could get transferred to California Service Center. They are noted for passing applications without interview. If you do not include the supplement, you will either get an RFE delaying the process or force them to require an interview.

Why take chances? Just include it and it should go smoother..

But, I'll say this. Even if it's acceptable, you'd just about eliminate any chance of getting adjusted without an interview if you don't submit it with the application.

I'm certainly not one to want to correct frank... but if one looks at the pinned thread on GCs w/o an interview, almost half of them had an RFE. SO an RFE'ed petition seems to carry no bearing on the chance for GC w/o interview. Someone tell me I'm overlooking something...

Exactly. Get the 693 / 693A as the instructions say and don't take the chance. Its $31 well spent (in our case it was $31 anyway).

Don't know whether it's acceptable in your neck of the woods. But, I'll say this. Even if it's acceptable, you'd just about eliminate any chance of getting adjusted without an interview if you don't submit it with the application.

But, I'll say this. Even if it's acceptable, you'd just about eliminate any chance of getting adjusted without an interview if you don't submit it with the application.

I'm certainly not one to want to correct frank... but if one looks at the pinned thread on GCs w/o an interview, almost half of them had an RFE. SO an RFE'ed petition seems to carry no bearing on the chance for GC w/o interview. Someone tell me I'm overlooking something...

I agree with you David. My statement may have been a little too broad. I was thinking of the situation where it is acceptable not to submit the supplement with the I-485. In such instances, it seems likely that the applicant will have to go to the interview in order to supply it. I guess it's possible for an IO who wants to approve without an interview but can't because the supplement is missing to send out an RFE for it, but I wouldn't want to take that chance. :unsure: :unsure:

Guest ShaQuaNew

but I wouldn't want to take that chance. B) :crazy:

I agree...as a best practice, send it in with the petition... I personally would not recommend otherwise.

I just mailed the I-485 documents to Chicago yesterday, via FedEx, and did not include the I-693 medical. We shall see what happens. Again, there are a few folks in this area that have reported filing the paperwork like this; they additionally stated that it in no way affected the process. These people report a successful acceptance of the petition, with subsequent direction to bring the I-693 to the interview for AOS.

In our case, time simply did not permit us scheduling or finding a civil surgeon, so with others having success as I've mentioned we felt it worthwhile to take them at their word. Now, with that said, I cetainly don't want to discount any of the feedback that has been presented here.

I will post the response from Chicago as soon as we hear back from them. My current obligations have prevented me from spending much time at all here lately. Hopefully, there will be some free time coming soon.

J

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

I truly get to wondering about all of the conflicting information running about regarding medical, I-693s, associated with K1 and K2 visas. Here's one of many examples you'll find as copied directly from the USCIS website:

Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fianc¨¦ visa)

USCIS link

Perhaps we will get some in-your-face letters back from the USCIS, but one has to wonder about these glaringly apparant contracdictions....

I truly get to wondering about all of the conflicting information running about regarding medical, I-693s, associated with K1 and K2 visas. Here's one of many examples you'll find as copied directly from the USCIS website:

Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fianc¨¦ visa)

USCIS link

Perhaps we will get some in-your-face letters back from the USCIS, but one has to wonder about these glaringly apparant contracdictions....

Jesse,

Medical examination is different than the vaccination supplement. If your SO had a medical exam to get her visa, she doesn't need another medical exam. The I- 693 supplement is only about vaccinations. We went to the local health dept to get the vaccinations and then took the records to a Civil Surgeon and paid $20 to have the I-693 suppl filled out. Very painless process. Getting the vaccinations at the Civil Surgeon would have cost twice as much.

Good luck!!

Guest ShaQuaNew

USCIS link

Jesse,

Medical examination is different than the vaccination supplement. If your SO had a medical exam to get her visa, she doesn't need another medical exam. The I- 693 supplement is only about vaccinations. We went to the local health dept to get the vaccinations and then took the records to a Civil Surgeon and paid $20 to have the I-693 suppl filled out. Very painless process. Getting the vaccinations at the Civil Surgeon would have cost twice as much.

Good luck!!

Jim, I think you;ve exactly nailed it in the simple English that my synapse limited mind can process. There is indeed a vaccination supplement; which it may well be what the USCIS is looking for. After all, the K1 visa requires quite an extensive medical examination in China before the interview. Yes, all of em. This examination ain't cheap either, as it costs @ $100.00 per person in China; and only accepted from certified medical locations.

So, completing the I-693 would be like getting a double-whammy out of the American Citizen, both in time, and money. For those fiances' and dependent children that passed the examination, another examination is NOT required for ONE YEAR.

Now, because of this confusion, I supplied immunization information for our daughter, which was also required to get her into school. I did NOT however complete a form to accompany the shot card and associated letter; so, we may well get RFE'd for more shot info.

Now, for me; a guy who is a Technical Communicator by trade, anal in every way, and often accused of being OC, I find clear instruction absolutely imperative to any requirement; especially when it comes to stuff that costs money, involves family, or involves time. Be clear, be concise, and be able to back it up with corroboratting evidence.

It's by far time for me to recognize you guys here that have invested your hearts, souls, and minds to the members of this site. Don, Frank, Trigg, Lee Fisher, David, and the list goes on to and endless extreme. We've debated, we've shared, we've argued many points, but in the end, we all share a common dream: the joy of the most beautiful Asian dreams of our lives.

My everyday work requires that I never accept anything at face value; and must find supporting evidence before printing or suggesting that others do the same. People hate that, and sometimes they hate is so much as to call you names, or accuse you of not trusting them.

Whatever the outcome of our personal experience, we can all benefit by this site. I send my heartfelt greetings and thanks to those of you that have weathered your own personal experiences, whether just beginning, or well-acquainted with the mop-slap.

Lan, Sarah, and I are finding great joy in our experiences together; like none-other in life.

J

Now, because of this confusion, I supplied immunization information for our daughter, which was also required to get her into school. I did NOT however complete a form to accompany the shot card and associated letter; so, we may well get RFE'd for more shot info.

Lan, Sarah, and I are finding great joy in our experiences together; like none-other in life.

J

Jesse,

The I-693 Supplement, which can only be prepared by a Civil Surgeon, comes in a sealed envelope for each applicant that I mailed with the I-485's. We took the shot cards to the CS and they prepared the forms based on the info from the shot cards while we waited. You might get RFE'd but you should get these prepared to take to the interview if not, assuming you will have an interview.

I'm very happy to hear things are going so well for you and your new family after such a long wait!! I couldn't be happier as well. This is the happy marriage I always dreamed of!

Best of luck getting those green cards!!

Jim