What to do if the green card has incorrect info?

I've got my welcome notice on 19th last month and found out that my name is wrong. I don't have middle name but there it is on the letter, I have a middle name! I freaked out! Called CIS at once and they told me to write a cover letter, copy my welcome notice and point out the error and send it with over-night express. The very next day I sent it out( 4 days after my welcome notice), I've got my green card in hand with wrong name! And then they told me that I need to file out I-90 and send it back with green card and copy of I-797(welcome notice). I am so confused and pi$$ed. Then I found out that I could get my passport stamped with I-551 but I can only go to the service center which issued my green card. Well... I fianlly got it done.

Just few tips to share in case whoever is in the same situation:

If you find error on welcome notice... most likely your green card will have the same info. Do not send the cover letter or call... wait for the actual green card. Save yourself hasle and money. Once the green card arrieves, call CIS or get online to find out which one is your service center and make an appointment with them online for the stamp of I-551(You can choose the date and time! ). They should give you a stamp on your passport for one year and you can then file in I-90, copy of I-797 and your green card without being uncomfortable.

Hope that helps.

The same thing happened to KK, my step daughter. Her name was misspelled. We made an appointment with the local office, brought a completed I-90 with us, along with documentation that the error was USCUS's. The IO waived the I-90 fee and stamped her passport with the I-551 stamp. The corrected green card arrived some time later.