When will be the best time ?

My son is studying in a university of China . He's in Grade 2 . He will be 20 years old before long. I moved to U.S.A a few months ago. I hope he will come here to get master degree . If he immigrate here the tuition would be much more cheap than a overseas student's . My question is :

1.What time is better to go through his visa?

2. Can I start to do it ( cause I have a 2 year's green card right now )

3. Is it easy to get a visit visa for him ? ( I hope he may visit here when he 's on holiday)

4. What's the difference of the visas between before 21 years old and after 21 years old ?

Before he reaches 21, his step-father can file a petition for him. You should hurry up now. Once he reaches 21, GUZ will not issue a visa.

When and after he reaches 21, you can file an F1 (for single over-aged child of US citizen) petition for him after you get naturalized.

If you moved to US with a CR1 visa, you'll get natualized sooner.

If you moved to US with a K1 or K3, it will take longer time for you to get naturalized. If he is single, F1 visa takes one to two years to wait. If he gets married, F3 takes many many years to wait.

If a green card holder files F2B or V2 for a minor child, the child has to wait around 6 years and he is far over-aged.

If he applies for a visitor's visa, he tends to get denied for 214(:yikes: - intention of immigration.

I think F-1 is a student visa, isn't it? Most people (at my office) who came here on a student visa first got bachelor's degrees in China, then came here for Master's and/or PhD. No relative here in the states is required. I don't know if they still do this, but the University of Texas used to offer very low tuition for foreign students.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My son is studying in a university of China . He's in Grade 2 . He will be 20 years old before long. I moved to U.S.A a few months ago. I hope he will come here to get master degree . If he immigrate here the tuition would be much more cheap than a overseas student's . My question is :

3. Is it easy to get a visit visa for him ? ( I hope he may visit here when he 's on holiday)

4. What's the difference of the visas between before 21 years old and after 21 years old ?

What was your son's age on the day you married your current husband?

If you are married to an American citizen, then your husband can apply for a visa for your son, IF he is a legal son or step-son of your husband. If you came here on a K-3 visa, he is a legal step-son only if you were married on his 18th birthday.

If you are not married or your husband is not an American citizen, then you are not eligible to apply for a visa until you or his father becomes an American citizen.

If you arrived on a K-1, K-3, or CR-1 visa within the last year, your son may be eligible for follow-to-join status, which would be the simplest.

I came here by CR1 visa . I have had two's green card already. I married my current husband before he reached 18 years old one month.

What should I do presently ? Which way is better for my son ?

Because you married your husband before your son was 18, your son qualifies as your husband's step-son. Your husband can file an I-130 for your son and bring him here on a CR2 visa. The visa will be expedited if needed to complete the process before your son turns 21. Caution: I mean USA age. 21 years from date of birth, not 20 years from date of birth.

A student visa may also be an option buy I cannot address that.

If his visit visa would be denied , how could we count on a student visa ? It would be still a problem.

If his visit visa would be denied , how could we count on a student visa ? It would be still a problem.

The CR2 visa must be issued before the step-child reaches age 21. The step-son is entitled to immigrate as long as there are no disqualifying factors like criminal record or Communist Party membership. All other visas have different requirements and are temporary.

Student visas are awarded regularly, visitor visas are denied routinely. If your son applies to, and is accepted for admission to an American university, he will most likely get a student visa. Many American universities, like the Unversity of Texas, actively recruit foreign students.

I think F-1 is a student visa, isn't it? Most people (at my office) who came here on a student visa first got bachelor's degrees in China, then came here for Master's and/or PhD. No relative here in the states is required. I don't know if they still do this, but the University of Texas used to offer very low tuition for foreign students.

Yes, F1 is students visa. Visa for single over-aged child of a USC is also called F1.

If one has any direct relative in US, s/he tends to get denied if s/he applies for a student visa, 214(b - intention of immigration.