I have several questions now that my fiancee will be coming soon

My fiancee from Beijing China is now awaiting the 2nd packet which will have the interview date. She mailed the 1st packet to Guangzhou on about August 1 so the 2nd should come about October 1 with an interview date of about November 1. I have a few questions I hope someone can help with: (1) The NOA2 was approved on May 5 and had an expiration date of Sept 5. Does this expiration date mean anything at this point. Do we need to do anything or will it automatically be extened (if need be) by the Guangzhou consulate; (2) We will be married about 1 month after her arrival in the US. Should we apply for a social security number right away or wait until after we are married; (3) I'm assuming she can change her last name to mine when we are married. Does anyone know if she can also change her first name at the same time. Right now I call her by her "unofficial" american name of Sophia which we would both like to become her legal first name in the US. We will be married in Illinois; (4) Her son is 17 years old and will also be coming. Does anyone know if the typical insurance plan given on the job covers a stepson (I will not be adopting since he has a father in china). I know that I can add my wife without any problems but I'm not sure about her son; (5) If she arrives in early November when will she be able to visit china again and still be able to come back to the US. Her father is ill and I'm worried that she may have to go back sometime in 2007 should anything happen. I'm not sure at what step of the process she can easliy travel between the 2 countries ... thanks for any and all help

1. You don't have to do anything about the expiration the consulate automatically extends them.

2. You can apply prior or after the marriage. The rule of thumb is do it during the period of 10-76 days in the US. Since you want to do a name check, might be easier to get married first, get it reflected on the marriage certificate, then use that as the basis for the name at SSN, banks, state ID, etc.

3. To change the first name can be more difficult and involved... I think you must wait till after she adjusts he status (gets the greencard), and will have to go to the courts, pay for the change, change passport, etc.

Here's one description of someone who did it in Tx:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=22455

4. ?

5. Once in the US on a K1, she has used the single entry permitted by the visa. It will expire based on the I-94 she have placed inside the passport, six months after entry.

The problem is that she will not have a second entry permitted on the K1. This necessitates getting "Advance Parole" (AP). Most file for this at the same time the do the Adjustment of Status. Takes about 2 months to get the AP... Don't let her leave the US without AP.