What does the nvc "processing" consist of, my noa2 says that processing should be completed in 2-4 weeks, --is it a room with a big wheel, someone holds up a petition, says we have a Chen and a Smith, give it a spin---

send now

put in bottom of pile

look at next week

throw in corner

do nothing

seriously, is it just to assign a number and mail it to Guangzhou, or is there more to their processing than that??

What does the nvc "processing" consist of, my noa2 says that processing should be completed in 2-4 weeks, --is it a room with a big wheel, someone holds up a petition, says we have a Chen and a Smith, give it a spin---

send now

put in bottom of pile

look at next week

throw in corner

do nothing

seriously, is it just to assign a number and mail it to Guangzhou, or is there more to their processing than that??

For K-1 & K-3 visas NVC does a bit of processing, they perform a name check, enter the visa info into the DOS computer system and assign a case number for the consulate. I am not sure if they do more at this location or not, but basically this is where the petition changes hands from USCIS to DOS. Once finished there it is sent to the Consulate.

For the CR-1 or IR-1 visas the process is much more involved and includes everything you would do for P-3 plus what was already mentioned.

We were K-1 and they got us out the door in less than 2 weeks while I know of others who were there for over a year in the same process. The CR-1 type processing takes much longer.

For K-1 & K-3 visas NVC does a bit of processing, they perform a name check, enter the visa info into the DOS computer system and assign a case number for the consulate.

No wonder it takes so long for our applications to get processed. If they are still using the DOS program as their operating system. Perhaps we could all chip in and buy them a computer with Windows XP to speed things up for all of us. :greenblob:

I'm writing a shorter version [single file of all the ] of an FAQ, based on comments that there's too much info and hard to figure out where to find what... Yet, there's more detail in certain areas to describe the process and departmental authority and handling of petition/application/case...

here's is the overview section I've done on NVC:

NVC:

In 1994, the Department of State (DOS) opened a permanent Immigrant Visa processing facility at the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, NH. NVC receives from USCIS service centers and NBC all approved immigrant visa petitions and retains them until the cases are ready for adjudication by a consular officer abroad. As well, any case that is recommended for revocation and sent back to the US from the consulate will first go to NVC for tracking purposes. In the event a service center does not affirm the revocation, the case is sent back to NVC for continued tracking and then sent to the consulate.

NVC¡¯s initial processing of cases includes entering the receipt numbers and petition information into the NVC database, initiating an in-house FBI name check, and assigning a case number (ie: GUZ#).

I-129F, K1 & K3 cases: These cases undergoes brief processing which includes a security check via the FBI¡¯s NCIC system (National Crime Information Center) in Clarksburg, WV. Most K# cases are processed in 1 ¨C 4 weeks. K# cases are sent electronically to the consulate, as well the physical file is sent but may take up to a month to be received and entered into the consulate's computer.

I-130, CR1 cases: a number of steps occur where forms and fees are collected in a prescribed order, and the flow is controlled by NVC. The time at NVC can range from two to six months. See the next section on NVC for the detailed information on CR1 processing. CR/IR cases are sent electronically to the consulate, as well the physical file is sent but may take up to a month to be received and entered into the consulate's computer.

----

there is a latter section going into more detail as to it's role within the packet system (ie: P2.5)... so I'm deciding whether to merge some sections or not...

The big wheel must have landed on --do it now, I have a letter from NVC, they have assigned our GUZ#, and are forwarding out petition to GUZ--

I have been trying to plan a trip about P3 time, and was not expecting this so soon, I know that trade show time in October is not a good time for a cheap trip, and because I have very little vacation time left i was considering thanksgiving time (what will the little dog at china customs think of a frozen turkey in my luggage)