RE: 8 months now

I have done most all of the K1 stuff myself and all seems to be going well. There is little communication between myself and the Mrs. but she had been contacted by the Embassy in Guangzhou for an interview. I have deducted from broken conversations that she has recieved 3 packages from the Embassy and is waiting on a 4th before the interview.

Anyone know what that is all about? I know a man that married my wifes best friend and he said he did all the paper and leg work his self and had his bride was here in 8 months. I've been mostly doing things on his advice. The only difference between his situation and mine is that he married in China and brought her over as a spouse but he says that if he had to do it again he would have brought her here and then married. Any benefits to this or that?

We married in China but I have not disclosed that info to sources here. The wedding was a simple one and was mostly so the family would know that there was some validity to what we wanted to do.

Edited by zxy4r (see edit history)

I think what your SO or wife is trying to explain to you is that she received her P3 which is a packet of forms that must be filled out then submitted. Then she will receive her P4 which is another packet and her interview date.

If you are having problems communicating verbally with your SO you can try a number of different avenues. You can email each other. The emails are translated fairly accurately from English to Chinese and visa versa. You can also try Skype or MSN Messenger which will translate your chats. Of course this is all dependant on your SO having access to a computer.

Your SO may well be asked to provide proof of evidence of your relationship at her interview. Since she does not speak English very well, it could be helpful to have a log of emails, chats and phone records available to show the interviewing officer. Not being able to provide evidence of a bonafide relationship can result in a blue slip(denial).

I don't want to pry into your personal matters, but you metioned that you were married in China. Was this just a perfunctory ceremony or did you actually acquire your marriage book?

If you were legally married in China you should have filed for a CR1 Visa.

I would suggest that you spend some time reading the FAQ's on CFL and following the post so that you have a better idea of what lies ahead for you and your SO. Good Luck!

Why so 'little' communications between you and your wife?

If GUZ discovers that you two are married and filing a K1 visa they will deny the visa. I don't know what any additional implications could be involved by that. As previously mentioned, if you are legally married then you should have filed a CR1 then after the NOA1 filed a K3.

Guest pushbrk

I have done most all of the K1 stuff myself and all seems to be going well. There is little communication between myself and the Mrs. but she had been contacted by the Embassy in Guangzhou for an interview. I have deducted from broken conversations that she has recieved 3 packages from the Embassy and is waiting on a 4th before the interview.

Anyone know what that is all about? I know a man that married my wifes best friend and he said he did all the paper and leg work his self and had his bride was here in 8 months. I've been mostly doing things on his advice. The only difference between his situation and mine is that he married in China and brought her over as a spouse but he says that if he had to do it again he would have brought her here and then married. Any benefits to this or that?

We married in China but I have not disclosed that info to sources here. The wedding was a simple one and was mostly so the family would know that there was some validity to what we wanted to do.

Your post raises a number of critical questions. Number one question is about your "marriage" in China. If you actually registered a legal marriage in China and received the little red books, your goose is cooked. For K1 Visa your wife must provide an official Chinese Government certification that she is unmarried. They don't issue those to "married" people. On the other hand, if all you had was a ceremonial wedding with no Chinese government office involved, then no problem as long as your she doesn't ever suggest in any paperwork or verbally that the two of you are married.

At her interview, she is expected to show proof of an ongoing relationship with you. Her ability to show records of your communication is critical. Your statement that there is little communication between you is alarming. What records do you have of ongoing communication with her?

Third, to my knowledge the first package of information a K1 beneficiary receives is "Packet 3". I suspect this is what she received but it is the only package she has received. After she returns the papers in the packet 3, the Consulate will look them over and decide if she is then eligible for an interview. If she is, then shortly thereafter, she will receive Packet 4 with an interview date.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)