Marriage in both countries?

My SO and I continue our discussion once again of our pursuit of either a K-1 or K-3 visa.

If we choose the K-1 and await her visa, we hope to plan a "wedding celebration" and reception prior to our departure to the US with visa in hand.

After the celebration in China we intend to reside and marry here in the US within our 90 day timeline which is allotted to us under the K-1 visa process.

My question: Is it possible when we return to visit and travel China again in our near future after our marriage is completed here in the US, to register a marriage in China and receive the red books of marriage?

Are we able to hold both an American registered marriage certificate and a registered marriage certificate from China at the same time?

I will hope this is a possibility. With all the knowledge here amongst all the CFL members, I feel I will find an answer here soon.

Thanks to all.

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

I believe the short answer is yes, you can register your US marriage in China. I have not done so, but I've heard of others who are planning on doing so. Sit tight and wait - maybe you'll get a more definitive answer from one of them. :roller:

If you can register your marriage in China, as Frank says, you would be registering your US MARRIAGE in China. When you are "married" you are "married" period. What you CANNOT do is pretend you aren't married and have a separate marriage in China. To do do you would have to sign fraudulent documents indicating you were both unmarried and all prove the dissolution of any previous marriages.

Getting red book recognizing you have already married in the USA is another issue entirely.

Thank you for your responses.

I am happy to know that I am able to register my US marriage in China at a later date and receive the red books. This will also bring a smile to my SO's face.

This will be a keepsake of ours along with our US marriage certificate.

Don't jump to the conclusion you will receive a red book. This has not been tested by anyone here based on a US marriage. I believe I'm the one Frank was referring to in his post.

Here is the process you must follow to possibly get you registered in your wife's household book, this may or may not include being able to get a red book.

1. Get a certified copy of your Marriage Certificate.

2. Have the Certified Marriage Certificate Authenticated by the Secretary of State for YOUR state.

3. Complete the request for Authentication for the Chinese Consulate/Embassy that processes authenticated documents for your state.

4. Send Item #2 & #3 to Consulate/Embassy, this is a mail in service.

5. Receive the Authentication from the Consulate/Embassy.

6. Take the documents to the Notary office where your wife is/was a resident for Translation/Authentication.

(This takes a bit of doing and they will want to know why. Be very careful in your answer or you will not receive the translated documents. I explained that we intended to travel though out China and heard many reports of couples being refused hotel accommodations without a red book and forcing the couples to stay in very expensive Western hotels. This worked for us. DO NOT TELL them your direct intentions about registering your marriage in China, there is great suspicion about this.)

7. Now the two of you need to take her household book to the local committee office and ask that you be included in your wife's household book.

Item #7 is a wild-card situation, our explanation is based on my wife having custody of our son and we wish to formally establish our relationship in China so that the step father/child relationship is recognized by the Chinese government.

We have completed everything except Item #7 because we ran out of time on our last trip. It will probably be next summer before we will see if this will fly.

I'm betting we can get his done, but since we were not married in China I seriously doubt they would issue a red book as that is an official Chinese marriage certificate. But being recognized in the household book in itself will establish a formal recognition of the relationship and may be beneficial in the future if you intend to retire in China.