Questions about the whole K1 process and flowchart

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get the whole process of the K1 visa down in my head. It seems I still am a little confused. I also wanted to let my SO know what he fully needs and what he needs to do later. There is just some minor questions I have regarding the whole process. So here's what I have down as a general understanding... correct me if I am mistaken:

1. Send the I-129F package (making 2 copies for me and my SO) to service center (what I need from my SO: signed & filled G-325A form w/ passport, letter of intent, any other evidence).

2. Wait for the NOA1 & NOA2.

On the process flowchart, it says start gathering documents needed by my SO. I was wondering what exactly does he need? I'm assuming its an identical I-129F package perhaps or just the form itself?

3. Case forwarded to National Visa Center and then Embassy of my SO's country.

4. Forms/checklist sent to beneficiary/and beneficiary compiles them sending to the Consulate (American or Chinese consulate?).

This is where I am still a little bit confused. I was wondering what is usually on the checklist and what forms are needed? My SO was originally wondering when he needed to have his birth documents/chinese passports/etc that was absent from the original I-129F package that I will send out in the beginning. So, I am assuming this is where it should be at...

5. Medical interview and beneficiary interview. (Then get the Visa, yay!)

6. Beneficiary comes to America, applies for POE, SS + marriage (yay again!).

And after that, there's a few more final steps, but pretty much I am worried about before this point and still have a few more questions. Can anyone explain it to me some more in detail? I am trying to tell my SO what he needs now, and what he must prepare in the future, so we both know the whole process and got it down as much as possible. Thanks.

Welcome to CFL

Once you file the I-129 F and the G-325 A the petition goes to the service center that serves your area. Usually within a couple weeks you get your NOA-1 which is merely a receipt with your 13 digit case number on it. It starts with 3 letters and has 10 numbers after it. Save this document and use the numbers to track the status of your case as it makes its way through your service center. https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Depending on which service center you have to use this can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months or more to be approved. Once your petition has been approved by the USCIS you will get NOA-2. Save this document you will need it for AOS later. From the service center your petition goes to NVC (National Visa Center) Wait about 2 weeks after it has been sent then call them at 603 334 0700. Stay on the line and talk to a human the automated system won't help you. Have the case number and your sweetheart's birth date handy. They will then give you your GUZ number which you will need for the duration of the visa process. Call them about once a week until they tell you it has cleared and been sent to the US consulate in Guangzhou. Once it arrives in GZ it sits in a warehouse for 4-6 weeks until it clears customs and is delivered to the consulate. After that P-3 is sent to your fiancée. P-3 is mostly a check list that tells the beneficiary (your sweetheart) what they need to bring to the interview. Get it filled out and sent back ASAP since a delay of even just a few days can add another month to your time line. Depending on whether or not there is more name checks your sweetheart will get the P-4 in about 2-4 months. P-4 will have the interview date as well as some more papers to fill out. Assuming he passes the interview he will go to the China Post Office a few days later and pick up the visa.

Send in your paperwork and kick back here on CFL and enjoy the camaraderie as well as educate yourself about the visa process.

Welcome to CFL

Once you file the I-129 F and the G-325 A the petition goes to the service center that serves your area. Usually within a couple weeks you get your NOA-1 which is merely a receipt with your 13 digit case number on it. It starts with 3 letters and has 10 numbers after it. Save this document and use the numbers to track the status of your case as it makes its way through your service center. https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Depending on which service center you have to use this can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months or more to be approved. Once your petition has been approved by the USCIS you will get NOA-2. Save this document you will need it for AOS later. From the service center your petition goes to NVC (National Visa Center) Wait about 2 weeks after it has been sent then call them at 603 334 0700. Stay on the line and talk to a human the automated system won't help you. Have the case number and your sweetheart's birth date handy. They will then give you your GUZ number which you will need for the duration of the visa process. Call them about once a week until they tell you it has cleared and been sent to the US consulate in Guangzhou. Once it arrives in GZ it sits in a warehouse for 4-6 weeks until it clears customs and is delivered to the consulate. After that P-3 is sent to your fiancée. P-3 is mostly a check list that tells the beneficiary (your sweetheart) what they need to bring to the interview. Get it filled out and sent back ASAP since a delay of even just a few days can add another month to your time line. Depending on whether or not there is more name checks your sweetheart will get the P-4 in about 2-4 months. P-4 will have the interview date as well as some more papers to fill out. Assuming he passes the interview he will go to the China Post Office a few days later and pick up the visa.

Send in your paperwork and kick back here on CFL and enjoy the camaraderie as well as educate yourself about the visa process.

Ah, what exactly is needed in the P3/P4? I'm assuming what my SO is guessing too... my SO wonders about the official documents like his own passport, birth certificate, etc... I'm guessing that is in it, too? How about another similar I-129F package? Will he need that later? Where else can I find more info on the P3/P4 checklist? Thanks.

All the forms needed for P-3 will be sent to him with the packet. For P-4 and interview he will need copies of everything you have filed to date as well as a police check less than a year old, a single certificate less than a year old showing he is eligible to marry, A completed I-134 affidavit of support and anything else you can think of that will show evidence of a bonafide relationship. Birth certificates and divorce decrees have no expiration date.

You have plenty of time to worry about these things. I recommend you work on it step by step and learn the process along the way. You will find all the info you need here on CFL.

Good luck

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

All the forms needed for P-3 will be sent to him with the packet. For P-4 and interview he will need copies of everything you have filed to date as well as a police check less than a year old, a single certificate less than a year old showing he is eligible to marry, A completed I-134 affidavit of support and anything else you can think of that will show evidence of a bonafide relationship. Birth certificates and divorce decrees have no expiration date.

You have plenty of time to worry about these things. I recommend you work on it step by step and learn the process along the way. You will find all the info you need here on CFL.

Good luck

Ah, I see. Is the police check and I-134 usually required for all beneficiaries? I guess I will know when the time has come exactly what documents are needed then. But no worries, by then I will continue seeking more information, hehe. Thanks once again.

After you have the initial forms completed for the petition you might want to download the DS-230 from the USCIS web site. They ask for a 10 year history on some things and a full education background and you will only be completing Part 1. This is the major form that is sent with P-3 and the two of you can work together to get this completed early, it definitely helps to reduce the stress knowing that it is ready.

Getting the passport, birth records, divorce(if needed) all collected and ready doesn't hurt a bit. But wait until after receiving P-3 on the single certificate and police report, with GZ there is plenty of time for that.

Another thing for those early in the process that might be helpful is to have your SO get the NEW Chinese ID card. In some areas it can take a number of months to get this completed. They are going with a newer high tech form of ID card and the old ones will be phased out.

Another thing for those early in the process that might be helpful is to have your SO get the NEW Chinese ID card. In some areas it can take a number of months to get this completed. They are going with a newer high tech form of ID card and the old ones will be phased out.

My SO's province just started the first week of August. When it is time, her/his city will make an announcement for forms and picture day. My SO was told it will take about 60 days for the new ID card to be issued and returned to her.

After you have the initial forms completed for the petition you might want to download the DS-230 from the USCIS web site. They ask for a 10 year history on some things and a full education background and you will only be completing Part 1. This is the major form that is sent with P-3 and the two of you can work together to get this completed early, it definitely helps to reduce the stress knowing that it is ready.

Getting the passport, birth records, divorce(if needed) all collected and ready doesn't hurt a bit. But wait until after receiving P-3 on the single certificate and police report, with GZ there is plenty of time for that.

Oh I see... when will the old ID cards expire? And I'm assuming the new ID cards will be eventually used for the P3/P4 packets? In the meantime, I'll tell my SO to get the new ID card.

Edited by Tiger320 (see edit history)