Wrong city of birth on I-129F

We just sent in the P3 documents last week. However, my fiance realized the next day that she marked Shanghai as the birthplace on the I-129F that we filled out 4-5 months ago.

She was born in Jiang Xi, but she grew up in Shanghai and her Hukou is for Shanghai.

Should I call the Consulate in GuangZhou and tell them?

Or should I just hope they don't make a big deal out of it?

Could our application be in for a big delay? :blink:

Thanks and waiting for your replies!

- xiaobu

Guest pushbrk
We just sent in the P3 documents last week. However, my fiance realized the next day that she marked Shanghai as the birthplace on the I-129F that we filled out 4-5 months ago.

She was born in Jiang Xi, but she grew up in Shanghai and her Hukou is for Shanghai.

Could our application be in for a big delay?  :blink:

- xiaobu

237948[/snapback]

Whether you are in for big delay may well depend on the stage of the process you're in at the moment. This is where a timeline really helps.

Where is your petition now? Has it been approved by the USCIS?

P3, Mike! P3! Email GUZ through their wesite. There's a link to it somewhere on Candle. I wouldn't think it would cause any problems, but you never know. We had a similar issue - my wife had to mail in a new (DS-230?). Her interview was still within a day of the prediction. The guess is that they schedule you based on the day they send out the P3, if all documents are complete

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Could our application be in for a big delay?  :redblob:

- xiaobu

237948[/snapback]

Probably no big deal, I'm positive it has happened before.

If you are concerned about it go ahead and email GZ, but don't make a big deal of it. Mention that it was incorrect on the I-129F and has been corrected on the DS-230. You might ask if they need any further clarification of the correction. But you should wait until they have received the P-3 and got it in the computer, you can check this by calling DOS.

At most it could trigger a new name check based on the birth place.

If you want to add a timeline you can go to the main forum page, click on My Controls and then Edit Signature, but it's not required. You gave enough info for people to know enough to answer the question.

My speculation on your timeline goes like this: :redblob:

I-129F filed in March or April at VSC

RFE received and returned for IMBRA

NOA2 Approved in June

NVC sent to GZ early July

GZ received and sent P3 early August

But that's just my guess based on the info you gave. :toot:

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

Lee - in our case, they called her about a line left blank, and did not enter it into the computer until they received the corrected form. In the meantime, it languished at the White Swan Hotel ( mail receiving area for GUZ) for a couple of weeks. About 1 1/2 months in all. We were still on time by Mark's prediction.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
P3, Mike! P3! Email GUZ through their wesite. There's a link to it somewhere on Candle. I wouldn't think it would cause any problems, but you never know. We had a similar issue - my wife had to mail in a new (DS-230?). Her interview was still within a day of the prediction. The guess is that they schedule you based on the day they send out the P3, if all documents are complete

237962[/snapback]

Duh, it must have been too early in the morning. Skipped right by the P3. What do you guys think would happen if the applicant just pretended they didn't notice the discrepancy put the correct information on the P3 docs?

I agree with Lee, if you tell GUZ, then the worst case is to trigger a new name check. This also seems to be the worst case if you "accidentally" don't tell them.

237962[/snapback]

Duh, it must have been too early in the morning. Skipped right by the P3. What do you guys think would happen if the applicant just pretended they didn't notice the discrepancy put the correct information on the P3 docs?

I agree with Lee, if you tell GUZ, then the worst case is to trigger a new name check. This also seems to be the worst case if you "accidentally" don't tell them.

237968[/snapback]

Thinking about it, letting GZ know is probably the best idea.

The worst case would be having them discover this at the interview with the result being a blue slip while they run a new name check. It might also trigger a request for a ton of relationship information because the petitioner didn't know the city of birth on the I-129F. :)

Better to address the issue up front than to take a wait and see attitude. Call it a proactive approach to a simple mistake.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

237962[/snapback]

237968[/snapback]

Thinking about it, letting GZ know is probably the best idea.

The worst case would be having them discover this at the interview with the result being a blue slip while they run a new name check. It might also trigger a request for a ton of relationship information because the petitioner didn't know the city of birth on the I-129F. :)

Better to address the issue up front than to take a wait and see attitude. Call it a proactive approach to a simple mistake.

238002[/snapback]

I totally agree. During this process you should not be anything less than totally honest; including admitting a mistake or error on previously filed papers.

What do you guys think would happen if the applicant just pretended they didn't notice the discrepancy put the correct information on the P3 docs?

I agree with Lee, if you tell GUZ, then the worst case is to trigger a new name check.  This also seems to be the worst case if you "accidentally" don't tell them.

Dear CFL Member,

If this petition is still at one the USCIS service centers, you should contact them to find out if this is important. You can call them at 1-800-375-5283.

Once the petition reaches us, if there is a small typo on the G-325A, it's not a big deal. However, a typo on the I-130 or I-129F might mean that we need to re-do security namechecks on an applicant.

Sincerely,

IV Unit, U.S. Consulate, Guangzhou, China

174311[/snapback]

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Could our application be in for a big delay?  :D

- xiaobu

237948[/snapback]

If you are concerned about it go ahead and email GZ, but don't make a big deal of it. Mention that it was incorrect on the I-129F and has been corrected on the DS-230. You might ask if they need any further clarification of the correction. But you should wait until they have received the P-3 and got it in the computer, you can check this by calling DOS.

If you want to add a timeline you can go to the main forum page, click on My Controls and then Edit Signature, but it's not required. You gave enough info for people to know enough to answer the question.

My speculation on your timeline goes like this: :lol:

NOA2 Approved in June

But that's just my guess based on the info you gave. ;)

237963[/snapback]

after they recieve your paper work in GUZ, go to there website and fill out the form that will send them a e-mail , explane what the mistake is and they will ask you to to write them a letter with the mistake you made and the correction you want to make , it will have to be notorized, you can fax it to them and when your so go for interview she can take it to them, i just had a simular problem

Could our application be in for a big delay??:P

- xiaobu

237948[/snapback]

My speculation on your timeline goes like this: :lol:

NOA2 Approved in June

But that's just my guess based on the info you gave. :wacko:

237963[/snapback]

after they recieve your paper work in GUZ, go to there website and fill out the form that will send them a e-mail , explane what the mistake is and they will ask you to to write them a letter with the mistake you made and the correction you want to make , it will have to be notorized, you can fax it to them and when your so go for interview she can take it to them, i just had a simular problem

238282[/snapback]

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I agree, honesty is the best policy.

I will call GUZ and confirm they have received our P3 forms. If I can't tell them the problem on the phone, I will use the GZ website to email them. I will ask them for the fax number that I can send the notorized explanation to and also bring it to the interview.

Thanks a lot!

- xiaobu