Can it get any worse?

We've waited patiently for a year and a half for my wife's AOS interview.

Every morning I would check the USCIS web site to see the status of our petition. It was always the same. "We will contact you if there is any change........"

Three weeks ago we received a list of documents to bring to the interview. But, we have no interview date! :angry:

I became a bit concerned and called the 800 number, worked my way through the menu and received the "no new information is available" recording. Three days ago I received a hysterical phone call from Wei Ping. She told me she received a letter canceling the AOS because we didn't show up for the interview :stupid:

I immediately called the office of my congressman and spoke the lady who handles the immigration stuff for him. She told me this was the second call like this in the past week. I faxed the letter and my own letter to her the next day. I then sent a letter to the director in charge of the office in Orlando. I tried to be civil, but I'm not sure I succeeded.

Has this ever happened to anybody else? I am so embarrassed for my government. My wife is disgusted with all the bull__ and errors, and I don't blame her. :D

The only advice I can offer is to try to stay calm and work the problem, don't let the problem work you.

Try calling and making an InfoPass appointment to discus the case. Then show up with your wife and all the documentation for your AOS interview. Once you are there explain to them that since they didn't put an interview date on the letter that their justification to cancel the process is void and you have come for the interview.

Also, let your congressman's office know what you are going to do and get their support. Who knows they may just find time to go with you for support and as a witness to the USCIS process.

Our situation was the same except we had an interview date. A few weeks before the interview, they had cancelled it without giving a reason. The same had happend to others around the same time also, I remember. We went to the interview anyways at the set date. Nothing was said about the cancellation and we passed the interview.

A bright but not guaranteed side to it is that this might mean that the green card may be coming in the mail soon; no interview needed.

Let's hope so but stay on top of it all the same.

Good luck, Marty

Lee's advice is good, but remember that AOS processing can be rather formal and responses to certain actions by USCIS might require a formal appeal or a Motion to Reconsider (MTR). Usually, you are required to file an MTR when there was something that you could have supplied and didn't, like a response to an RFE that you failed to get in on time which caused a denial.

You might want to check to make sure the letter you got from USCIS is not a denial and also determine whether you should file an MTR just as a protective measure.

Frank is right. It's likely that what the USCIS issued was a denial letter, in which case you have 33 days from the date of decision to file a Motion for Reconsideration.

We filed one after they denied our case for not responding to an RFE that we never got, so if you want to perusue ours as a template, let me know...

Good Luck!

The injustice of our American "justice" system never ceases to amaze me.

You guys started your process before we did and my Lao po has had her green card for over a year!!!

A fine example of HUTAS if there ever was one!!

But now is not the time to get bent out of shape!

Contact your congressman (in person with your Lao Po if possible), show him the appointment letter with no date and the cancellation for failure to appear.

As this is obviously a major screw up on their part.

Your congressperson can get to the bottom of it and should be able to get it straightened out quickly.

Laugh at their incompetance and know that it will get resolved correctly.

Good Luck!!!

Update:

Well, the congressman's office was no help except to mail me a new application. It seems the USCIS implied I'm a liar. "If they received the notice of cancellation then they must have received the notice for the appointment". I would agree with them if it where sent registered mail. Then they would have every right to say we ignored the notice.

My gripe is once we notified them of the situation (either directly or through my representative, and I did both) they could have reinstated the petition and issued a new interview date. A few key strokes on the PC is all it would take. But, nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'm not giving up yet. I have contacted both of my senators, and plan on writing a letter to the USCIS ombudsman. Next it's the president!!!

I'm beginning to think the mission statement for USCIS is "be as rude, nasty and inhumane as possible, and when given the chance kick em where it hurts the most".

Update:

Well, the congressman's office was no help except to mail me a new application. It seems the USCIS implied I'm a liar. "If they received the notice of cancellation then they must have received the notice for the appointment". I would agree with them if it where sent registered mail. Then they would have every right to say we ignored the notice.

My gripe is once we notified them of the situation (either directly or through my representative, and I did both) they could have reinstated the petition and issued a new interview date. A few key strokes on the PC is all it would take. But, nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'm not giving up yet. I have contacted both of my senators, and plan on writing a letter to the USCIS ombudsman. Next it's the president!!!

I'm beginning to think the mission statement for USCIS is "be as rude, nasty and inhumane as possible, and when given the chance kick em where it hurts the most".

240458[/snapback]

I think you left inept, incompetant, inefficient and outright bass ackwards out of their mission statement.

This is the same branch of the govt, DHS, that is charged with the task of keeping our country safe. I wonder how many "branches" can break off of the tree until they even notice it!

Really makes you wonder when they can't even reconcile or stay on top of their own actions.