An Interesting Situation

We have a new hire (this year) at work, with a PhD in Nuclear Physics (I'm sure). He's from Mianyang, which is 100 miles or so northwest of Chongaing. Anyway, his student visa expired last Thursday, but my company will be unable to get him a work visa for another six weeks.

So they sent him packing! Handed him a laptop, told him to take his wife, and find a hotel in Beijing with a good internet connection. He will work from there for 4 weeks, and then take two weeks off to visit his family before coming back with the visa. Probably a good deal for him, since I'm sure he hasn't been back in a few years.

I know the lawyers are doing this to be on the safe side, but do they really need to do this? Isn't it easy to get something that would allow him to stay? Or isn't even just applying for the visa good enough to keep him in the country? (like I said, though, he's probably happy to be back for a few weeks)

The lawyers and company are playing the safe bet by not having him overstay his visa. The business visa's can pay for expedited service and if they avoid the pitfalls it makes it easier and reduces the denial chances.

Obviously they believe him to be an extreme asset to the company or they wouldn't be jumping through hoops and spending the money to retain him.