thought SS was more simple

the waiting never ends....

the middle of the second week Chun arrived we went to go and sign up for her social security card. everything seemed to go smoothly, the time has gone and past for her to recieve the card in the mail. then 3 weeks ago she recieved a letter in the mail saying she would recieve the card in 2 weeks and if we dont to call the office. well that has come and gone so i called the other day.

now i understand we have to go back down to the local SS office and something about having to write homeland security :rolleyes:

seems to never end

the middle of the second week Chun arrived we went to go and sign up for her social security card. everything seemed to go smoothly, the time has gone and past for her to recieve the card in the mail. then 3 weeks ago she recieved a letter in the mail saying she would recieve the card in 2 weeks and if we dont to call the office. well that has come and gone so i called the other day.

now i understand we have to go back down to the local SS office and something about having to write homeland security :rolleyes:

seems to never end

237332[/snapback]

Wow! That sounds unique! Hopefully, they're not clamping down on K1 SSN's.

and hopefully you won't have to wait for the EAD. Your 90 days is up next week.

seems to never end

237332[/snapback]

Wow! That sounds unique! Hopefully, they're not clamping down on K1 SSN's.

and hopefully you won't have to wait for the EAD. Your 90 days is up next week.

237334[/snapback]

what do you suggest

Bill ... first time around ours was lost in the mail ... had to wait 30 days (by rule) and re-apply ... this counts as one of ten lifetime replacements permitted (!)

By now we were married, but cannot have card in her married name because there is no permission to work as yet (no longer K1 after marrage, in AOS status).

We finally have the card ... now we are able to get the bank off our back on her bank account.

We can get reissued in her married name when the EAD or green card arrives.

You're right ... it seems to never end.

Bill ... first time around ours was lost in the mail ... had to wait 30 days (by rule) and re-apply ... this counts as one of ten lifetime replacements permitted (!)

By now we were married, but cannot have card in her married name because there is no permission to work as yet (no longer K1 after marrage, in AOS status).

We finally have the card ... now we are able to get the bank off our back on her bank account. 

We can get reissued in her married name when the EAD or green card arrives.

You're right ... it seems to never end.

237339[/snapback]

so what about her K1...

its like she will be in limbo

i dont think they lost it, the guy who i talked with after a 30 some odd minute wait with SS really didnt know himself. i was so pissed i almost hung up on him

what do you suggest

237335[/snapback]

I think you just go with the flow here. Either you get the card now, or you get it later.

Hopefully, it's a beaurocratic snag that will be straightened out w/your next visit. Take a copy of SSA K-1 question and SSA policy with you, but the problem may not be at your local office.

K-1's have (fortunately) been able to get their SSN's sooner than for other visas. Hopefully, that isn't changing.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yep:

You can get hung up in the SSA as they are low on the

DHS food chain.

On your next visit ask for a print out of her number; this will

cover you for the IRS and getting her a bank account.

If they tell you the card was mailed; you may want to order

a new one and have it sent to the office.

After the 90 days are up and you still don't have the card,

you will have to wait for the GC.

Don't know why some get the card and some don't.

Good Luck.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

I'm not sure if you went to SS too early.. anything around 10 days or less from your entry can cause delays. Not sure how many days after the 10 does as well.

But it's clear that you filed under K1 status... and therefore should get it under that status.

Although Jim's got a point about flipping into AOS stauts, but that should technically not be until you file AOS (ergo, pending AOS). Actually, inbetween the expiration of the I-94 and AOS filing is a 'gap' that even those trying to get an EAD having problems with.

-------

I would go back to the office as they recommend;

you could bring doc's Randy mentions, and/or bring this one:

RM 00203.600 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN Card

This is the latest SS POM, stating K1s as authorized (without needing EAD, and using an unexpired I-94).

If they hassle you on being a K1 status, I'd point out you filed for SSN while in K1 and documented proof is with you.

if they hassle about something else, you'll have to see if it just requires filling out a form or see hoops need to be jumped...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
I'm not sure if you went to SS too early..  anything around 10 days or less from your entry can cause delays. Not sure how many days after the 10 does as well.

But it's clear that you filed under K1 status... and therefore should get it under that status. 

Although Jim's got a point about flipping into AOS stauts, but that should technically not be until you file AOS (ergo, pending AOS).  Actually, inbetween the expiration of the I-94 and AOS filing is a 'gap' that even those trying to get an EAD having problems with.

-------

This is the latest SS POM, stating K1s as authorized (without needing EAD, and using an unexpired I-94).

If they hassle you on being a K1 status, I'd point out you filed for SSN while in K1 and documented proof is with you.

if they hassle about something else, you'll have to see if it just requires filling out a form or see hoops need to be jumped...

237361[/snapback]

we filed it at 21 days of her arriving.....

i was aware of the 10 day filing too early.

very confusing....

would it be legal to flip to AOS status?

I'm not sure if you went to SS too early..  anything around 10 days or less from your entry can cause delays. Not sure how many days after the 10 does as well.

Although Jim's got a point about flipping into AOS stauts, but that should technically not be until you file AOS (ergo, pending AOS).  Actually, inbetween the expiration of the I-94 and AOS filing is a 'gap' that even those trying to get an EAD having problems with.

-------

237361[/snapback]

very confusing....

237398[/snapback]

If you allow them, they will delay and defer because the I-94 expiration is soon. Since they gave a letter saying the card was on the way try to make that the topic of conversation. Anything concerning the expiration of her visa is not the point, you just want the SSN they said was in the mail.

-------

237361[/snapback]

very confusing....

237398[/snapback]

If you allow them, they will delay and defer because the I-94 expiration is soon. Since they gave a letter saying the card was on the way try to make that the topic of conversation. Anything concerning the expiration of her visa is not the point, you just want the SSN they said was in the mail.

237401[/snapback]

I agree with lee, the bottom line is you want the SS card they said they had for you... And I'd get back to them ASAP to get it.

I do think that the expiring I-94 could cause some issue if they delay this too long. WHY? They don't like to issue SS cards too close to the expiration (the opposite problem of filing too early is filing too late--although you did not file late, I fear they use an excuse for not issuing it if it gets too close to I-94 expiration).

Once you get into that 'expired gap', too close to expiration and not yet filed AOS (a dead-man's zone), you cannot even properly file for EAD... since your in 'expired status' (neither K1 nor pending AOS).

I would personally hold off on the AOS, no harm in that. I would put the energy to getting the card first... then file after it's assured you getting it or assured your not going to get it without filing AOS...