After Interview - if he passes

Guest pushbrk
Toni, here is the United China web site. You can get him an Eticket here.

http://www.cn.united.com/

237641[/snapback]

It is not safe to assume there is always an e-ticket. How is Li getting from his hometown to a major International Airport in China?

It's not even safe to assume somebody at a Chinese airline counter in a city the size of Nanning even knows what an e-ticket is.

237641[/snapback]

It is not safe to assume there is always an e-ticket. How is Li getting from his hometown to a major International Airport in China?

It's not even safe to assume somebody at a Chinese airline counter in a city the size of Nanning even knows what an e-ticket is.

237646[/snapback]

It's been done before. I always use e-tickets, including to (and from) Nanning.

I sent my wife one for her trip back to the states.

They are not THAT backwards. If an airline issues e-tickets, someone at their counter will know what it is.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

237641[/snapback]

237646[/snapback]

It's been done before. I always use e-tickets, including to (and from) Nanning.

I sent my wife one for her trip back to the states.

They are not THAT backwards.

237647[/snapback]

I don't doubt it's been done before. I said it's not safe to assume e-tickets are always available and asked how Li was getting to a major International airport in China. Let's not encourage assumptions that if wrong bring great disappointment.

Further, I could not get anything near the fare my wife got by paying cash.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

237641[/snapback]

United is VERY expensive. One way from Beijing to LAX is 1295 now.. and he would still need to fly from Changchun to Beijing. FlyChina.com has a ticket from Changchun to LAX for 708.00 They list etickets but I have seen others say that China doesn't do e-tickets. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Mike: Lin lives about 1.5 hours from Changchun which is an international airport. This is where I fly in and out of when I go there. There is always someone there that understands some English .. perhaps I can call the airport and ask them if I get Lin an eticket from FlyChina.com if it is accepted there. .. OR even better I can have a co-worker call Changchun airport and ask in Mandarin to ensure they understand. What do you guys think? .

You might confuse them if you ask about eticket from 'flychina.com'. I would ask about a specific airlines eticket, not a web site. He will be checking in at the actual airlines counter, not a 'flychina.com counter' at the airport. Make sure the flychina.com actually has a ticket for that price available, often the quoted price is no longer available. I know money is tight for everyone, but on something as important as this, I would work directly with the airline you want, not a broker. I only suggested United because it is easy to do online and it works easy at check in time. Remember you will need his passport number to make any purchase (airline ticket) for him.

237641[/snapback]

United is VERY expensive. One way from Beijing to LAX is 1295 now.. and he would still need to fly from Changchun to Beijing. FlyChina.com has a ticket from Changchun to LAX for 708.00 They list etickets but I have seen others say that China doesn't do e-tickets. Does anyone know?

Thanks

237659[/snapback]

Yes - any e-ticket that you can buy will be accepted. I've always used Beijing as my port of entry with an e-ticket.

He could use the credit card or money that you send him to get to Beijing, then the e-ticket from there, if Changchun doesn't do e-tickets.

But I expect the credit card will be good enough to get him to LAX.

Western Union money can be picked up at any China Post (post office) or Agricultural Bank of China.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

When my wife came over the cheapest fare we could find was flychina.com. Since there wasn't an eticket available for that fare I called them and made arrangements for her to pick it up at the ticket counter in Shanghai. I think the fee was 40 dollars but it solved the problem of her maybe not getting the ticket in time. They were even kind enough to call her and explain the whole thing to her in Chinese.

Guest pushbrk
Mike:  Lin lives about 1.5 hours from Changchun which is an international airport.  This is where I fly in and out of when I go there.  There is always someone there that understands some English .. perhaps I can call the airport and ask them if I get Lin an eticket from FlyChina.com if it is accepted there.  .. OR even better I can have a co-worker call Changchun airport and ask in Mandarin to ensure they understand.  What do you guys think?  .

237660[/snapback]

By major international airport, I meant port of entry, an actual airport that will depart a flight to the USA.

Most of the Chinese travel agents, like FlyChina or Paciasia are unable to issue an e-ticket. Paciasia told me directly that it would be better to buy the ticket in China, for flights originating in China. They are good for round trips, originating in the USA. You have a lot of options but cash is still King in China.

Toni, you can send the money Western Union to him and he can pick it up at any Western Union location in China. You can go to Western Union and pick the locater link, enter in Guangzhou, China and see a listing of probably 100 banks and China Posts where he can receive this.

I would consider having him purchase the ticket in Guangzhou before he returns home, but you will need to know when his travel date. Air China many times has one of the lowest fares and their Beijing to LAX flight arrives around 6pm daily.

Remember when sending money using Western Union you need to put his "Family Name" as Last Name on the form. This has caused more than one person a bit of grief. He will need the tracking number, the name of who sent the money, the amount sent and his Chinese ID card to collect the money.

One last thing, do not do this online because the fees are pretty high. The cheapest way to do this is to take cash to the local Western Union location.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

Thanks Lee. I think if he passes the interview I will western union the money to him in GZ if he is able to find his way around. This is his first time out of his state and he is not very agressive in looking around. If he passes then we want to buy a ticket for 9/1/06...

Guest pushbrk
Thanks Lee.  I think if he passes the interview I will western union the money to him in GZ if he is able to find his way around.  This is his first time out of his state and he is not very agressive in looking around.  If he passes then we want to buy a ticket for 9/1/06...

237865[/snapback]

You might suggest he get a recommendation from Yang Jiahua or another trusted hotel proprieter.