visitor visa

Our baby will be due late next month. I am applying my parents to come here to visit us and give us a help. We like to know if they have enough time to come here before our baby's birth.

1. How long between making appointment and interview?

2. How long between interview and getting visa?

3. If my parents support themselves to visit us, does it work for them to show their RMB saving account to prove that they have enough money to support themselves? or do they have to show US dollar saving account?

Thanks a lot!

2nd hand from Chinese friends at work who have brought their parents here (and from memory) -

1) 30 days

2) same day (a guess)

3) They do not need a US account. They DO need to show strong ties (family, job, residence) to China that will ensure their return

Also check out these links:

a discussion

Tine&Ella's advice

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Rumor says be careful about telling them the parent's want to come help take care of the baby! The rumor was that the interviewer might assume the parents will want to stay a long time to help raise the baby.

Emphasize the ties to China. Proof of home ownership, employer letters, and yes, show Chinese bank accounts, other family still in China and car ownership. I don't recall lack of proof of support as a denying issue, but guess most people don't know the real reason for a denial of a visitor visa. The application can say they want to come visit, reason enough.

Guest pushbrk
Rumor says be careful about telling them the parent's want to come help take care of the baby!  The rumor was that the interviewer might assume the parents will want to stay a long time to help raise the baby.

Emphasize the ties to China.  Proof of home ownership, employer letters, and yes, show Chinese bank accounts, other family still in China and car ownership.  I don't recall lack of proof of support as a denying issue, but guess most people don't know the real reason for a denial of a visitor visa. The application can say they want to come visit, reason enough.

236543[/snapback]

Exactly. Why they want to come visit is NOT an issue. Why the VO should be convinced they WILL RETURN is the issue.

Rumor says be careful about telling them the parent's want to come help take care of the baby!?The rumor was that the interviewer might assume the parents will want to stay a long time to help raise the baby.

Emphasize the ties to China.?Proof of home ownership, employer letters, and yes, show Chinese bank accounts, other family still in China and car ownership.?I don't recall lack of proof of support as a denying issue, but guess most people don't know the real reason for a denial of a visitor visa. The application can say they want to come visit, reason enough.

236543[/snapback]

Exactly. Why they want to come visit is NOT an issue. Why the VO should be convinced they WILL RETURN is the issue.

236686[/snapback]

I think you have a point, but would not downplay the WHY VISIT issue too much. I think both sides paint part of the picture the VO sees.

I would feel that the WHY VISIT is not as significantly important as the WILL RETURN issue... but the WHY VISIT may be more a two edge sword; either helping or hurting the case easily.

So care should be taken to presenting the case of WHY VISIT; Greater care to present evidence of why they WILL RETURN.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Rumor says be careful about telling them the parent's want to come help take care of the baby!?The rumor was that the interviewer might assume the parents will want to stay a long time to help raise the baby.

Emphasize the ties to China.?Proof of home ownership, employer letters, and yes, show Chinese bank accounts, other family still in China and car ownership.?I don't recall lack of proof of support as a denying issue, but guess most people don't know the real reason for a denial of a visitor visa. The application can say they want to come visit, reason enough.

236543[/snapback]

236686[/snapback]

I think you have a point, but would not downplay the WHY VISIT issue too much. I think both sides paint part of the picture the VO sees.

I would feel that the WHY VISIT is not as significantly important as the WILL RETURN issue... but the WHY VISIT may be more a two edge sword; either helping or hurting the case easily.

So care should be taken to presenting the case of WHY VISIT; Greater care to present evidence of why they WILL RETURN.

236689[/snapback]

Visitor's visas may be declined if the VO thinks that the applicant may overstay, or that he/she intends to work or look for work.

The VO has a LOT of discretion here, so it might be more prudent to pattern the visit as a visit, rather than to provide extended care for a family member.

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks!

Sorry we did not follow up on our original post early concerning the parents application for visitor visa.....but we have been VERY busy with the new addition to our family :D

My wife wrote a letter to GUZ requesting a visa be granted. Her points for the request (taken from our letter):

1. They then can greet our baby¡¯s birth with us here, and help us with taking care of their daughter and grandson.

2. According to Chinese custom, women need to be confined in their first month¡¯s childbirth to avoid permanent health disease. Our father is very good at cooking good Chinese food and our mother has experience in taking care of baby.....So we are in great need of our father and mother to come here to be with us when our baby is born.

3. While they are here, we would also like to take them to visit Florida, Atlanta and of course Nashville TN to let them have a look around America and enjoy American famous country music, beautiful country view, fresh air and life....

4. And closed with facts about their ties to China, being retired with good pension and home owners...and brothers successful in their professions.

When my wife had me edit the letter I did not attempt to polish the letter for English prose but left her Chinese style of expression....to me this sounds more sincere....which it is!

Our letter was short and to the point, being four paragraphs on one page.

When our parents saw the officer at GUZ his greatest focus was on this letter which he read very carefully.

Officer's questions:

"What is the purpose for your visit to the U.S.?" - "To visit our daughter, she married an American. They are having a baby and we wish to assist with the new baby."

"Where is your daughter's invitation letter?" - Father gives the officer the letter we wrote to GUZ and our invitation letter we sent to parents. The officer then read our letter to GUZ, he spent most of the time in the interview reading this letter very carefully.

"You have been to the U.S. before?" - Yes we have been in U.S. in 1998"

"You have two sons in China?" - "Yes, one in Shanghai and one in Guangzhou."

Then father handed officer family pictures which the officer looked at briefly and smiled.

The officer did not request and further documents....then he gave them visas for the visit.

It is a blessing having the parents here to help us...as soon as they arrived they took over the kitchen :wacko:

Hope this information is helpful for others.