K1/K2 & Health Insurance

My fianee and her 18 month old daughter will soon undergo the K1/K2 interview at Guangzhou. Looking beyond the interview, I am concerned about health insurance for the 2 of them during the period of time that begins when they board the plane in China and ends with the wedding in the USA. I am covered under a group health plan through my employer and will be able to extend coverage to the 2 of them once we are married. But obviously my employer's plan won't cover them before we are married.

How have others dealt with this issue?

Thanks.

It is possible to purchase short term health insurance, most people use policies of this type for catastrophic situations, but there are some you can get with deductibles that are low. These are per occurrence policies.

Depending on your situation you could always beat it to the courthouse and take care of the legal marriage in the first week.

Guest pushbrk
My fiancée and her 18 month old daughter will soon undergo the K1/K2 interview at Guangzhou.  Looking beyond the interview, I am concerned about health insurance for the 2 of them during the period of time that begins when they board the plane in China and ends with the wedding in the USA.  I am covered under a group health plan through my employer and will be able to extend coverage to the 2 of them once we are married.  But obviously my employer’s plan won’t cover them before we are married.

Thanks.

233201[/snapback]

I think most people just do without but there are short term possibilties.

You will want to check with your benefits department and determine whether they will need social security numbers to be enrolled. Some still require this. My employer doesn't use the SS# as the subscriber ID, so they will use a copy of passport entry page and the marriage certificate as proof of qualification.

My fiancée and her 18 month old daughter will soon undergo the K1/K2 interview at Guangzhou.  Looking beyond the interview, I am concerned about health insurance for the 2 of them during the period of time that begins when they board the plane in China and ends with the wedding in the USA.  I am covered under a group health plan through my employer and will be able to extend coverage to the 2 of them once we are married.  But obviously my employer’s plan won’t cover them before we are married.

Thanks.

233201[/snapback]

try this site http://www.travelinsure.com/