Hello everyone!...I just had two more questions as I try to move along on this package...My first question is on the finace letter of intent...Does it make a difference if she types her family name first or last?...Right now her letter has her family name last as we would write it in English...This is probably not a big deal either way but I figured I'd check on this little detail and see if anyone had any input on this!...

My second question I hope is not too dumb...*lol*...I was just wondering when submitting the I-129F package, do I have to include "proof of ongoing relationship."...Or is this something for later down the road?...I know right now I must provide "proof of having met in person" which includes the photos of us together, hotel reciepts, engagement ring reciepts, airline ticket copies, emails etc....Or are these two items actually one big item that I must give proof of?...I hope that makes sense!...*lol*...Thanks for any help everyone!!!...

Hello everyone!...I just had two more questions as I try to move along on this  package...My first question is on the finace letter of intent...Does it make a difference if she types her family name first or last?...Right now her letter has her family name last as we would write it in English...This is probably not a big deal either way but I figured I'd check on this little detail and see if anyone had any input on this!...

My second question I hope is not too dumb...*lol*...I was just wondering when submitting the I-129F package, do I have to include "proof of ongoing relationship."...Or is this something for later down the road?...I know right now I must provide "proof of having met in person" which includes the photos of us together, hotel reciepts, engagement ring reciepts, airline ticket copies, emails etc....Or are these two items actually one big item that I must give proof of?...I hope that makes sense!...*lol*...Thanks for any help everyone!!!...

233102[/snapback]

Myself I included a few letters between one another and a phone bill showing my address and phone number calling her. As this helps to show we do have a relationship and she can communicate with me. I also explained in the letter of how we met (question 18) how the relationship evolved.. Her letter to me telling me what we would do in China when I came to see her and had proof that we did some of what was talked about in the letter. (tickets, Taxi reciepts. ect)Just don't overwhelm them at this time.But I think it will help me when she goes to the interview that I can cover some of the main things they will be looking at in the interview process.One of the major things being communication between us. Just as long as she signs her name and date the letter of intent it would be fine.

Hello everyone!...I just had two more questions as I try to move along on this  package...My first question is on the finace letter of intent...Does it make a difference if she types her family name first or last?...Right now her letter has her family name last as we would write it in English...This is probably not a big deal either way but I figured I'd check on this little detail and see if anyone had any input on this!...

233102[/snapback]

Myself I included a few letters between one another and a phone bill showing my address and phone number calling her. As this helps to show we do have a relationship and she can communicate with me. I also explained in the letter of how we met (question 18) how the relationship evolved.. Her letter to me telling me what we would do in China when I came to see her and had proof that we did some of what was talked about in the letter. (tickets, Taxi reciepts. ect)Just don't overwhelm them at this time.But I think it will help me when she goes to the interview that I can cover some of the main things they will be looking at in the interview process.One of the major things being communication between us. Just as long as she signs her name and date the letter of intent it would be fine.

233111[/snapback]

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...6425entry226425

233102[/snapback]

First question:

You want to remain consistant through out the paperwork as how the Chinese name is written. So as not to confuse any of the people at USCIS, NVC, or GUZ, I would make it to read the same as her passport and birth certificate, Chinese ID, single certicicate, police report, and divorce decree if applicable.

The name should be consistant with the I-129F application and the G-325A.

I do understand what you mean about her writing it like we would in English. Ex: BeckyAnn Smith.

If you want to do this, as it is only the letter of intent, it should be fine. But in my opinion, why take a chance that someone may question it down the road for some reason and cause a delay. It makes sense to us because here at CFL we all have Chinese SO's and we are used to seeing it both ways and we understand this. But at the USCIS and NVC, they have the whole world to look at. They could go as far to even suggest it as a "other name used" on the G-325A (far fetched, but possible).

Second question:

You are correct. You need proof of having met in the past 2 years, for the inital I-129F petition (K1). Later for the interview you will need proof of "ongoing releationship" since the time you applied to interview. You are correct that it is 2 seperate issues.

Keep asking away, we are all at some stage of the game here and glad to help out. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome to CFL. :headbang:

Here's my soapbox comments on names...

- Apply the following to both petitioner and beneficiary ; sponsor and sponsored.

- Be as consistent as possible from beginning to end, including on such things ancillary to the paperwork (ie: her passport, translated notarizations).

- Always try to help visually differentiate the names with an UPPER CASE (FAMILY NAME) and Mixed case (Given Name)... there are two ways of giving any name, even in western notation and examples follow:

---a. John SMITH // Lu PING >> this is more western convention

---b. SMITH, John // PING, Lu >> this order is how chinese sign their name (but without the comma distinction which is so important in the west).

I'll admit that we were not 100% consistent in name order on every form.. but applied the UPPER case (FAMILY NAME) and Mixed case (Given Name) to both of our names everywhere.. including paperwork for AOS.

-----

RELATIONSHIP EVIDENCE IN THE PETITION:

There is some debate and little evidence to really study... but this is possibly a very interesting issue to explore if we could run some tests...

The technically correct answer is from mikeandrong. The practical answer of whether it does any good to do so is difficult to assess. I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

1. Be very careful about extras you provide: If you add something extra about proving the relationship, realize that it also exposes you to sharing info they did not ask about and can at some point request further documented proof (ie: My aunt introduced us... ; "Please provide notarized letter from aunt".. what if this aunt is now dead :rolleyes: ).

2. If you provide something, keep your facts very consistent to already submitted proof ( "I arrived in china on .." ; The copy of the passport entry stamps serve as proof of this).

3. If you want to give some relationship info, I would be inclined to do (as I did)... make the "Intent to Marry" as a two paragraph, dual use

- My first paragraph was a mix of facts (when i arrived) and feelings of our growing interest and love for each other.

- My second paragraph was more legal sounding jargon about "intentions to marry in 90 days"...

- My concluding sentence went: "Since I have arrived back in the USA, we have been in daily communication in email. We are very happy, excited and eager to start a life together in the USA. I am looking forward to marrying xxx with in 90 days of her arrival in the U.S. As proof that my fianc~{(&~}e and I have met in person I am enclosing photos of us together." (I left myself open a little bit with "daily communication; "Eager to start a life together" = proof of intent to immigrate; "marrying within 90 days" = proof of meeting K1 requirement; "enclosing photos" = part of proof we meet in person...

A lawyer posted an article that was here.. referencing the idea that what DHS has approved [in a petition] cannot be grounds for denial in the application part of the interview process (?). Not sure I got that right... But this leaves some wiggle room to consider that if you provide a little proof of a valid relationship and DHS has accepted it (approved that submitted material), this helps to establish the relationship and gives the consulate an early look at something (rather than having to ask some things). I not sure I understand the full implications of this nor if this is truly a good idea or a valid argument in the first place.

I just would not go over board with pounds of evidence which they MUST sift through to accept it. Less is Best is my motto.

Here's my soapbox comments on names... 

- Apply the following to both petitioner and beneficiary ; sponsor and sponsored.

- Be as consistent as possible from beginning to end, including on such things ancillary to the paperwork (ie: her passport, translated notarizations).

- Always try to help visually differentiate the names with an UPPER CASE (FAMILY NAME) and Mixed case (Given Name)... there are two ways of giving any name, even in western notation and examples follow:

---a.  John SMITH  //  Lu PING  >>  this is more western convention 

---b.  SMITH, John //  PING, Lu  >> this order is how chinese sign their name (but without the comma distinction which is so important in the west).

I'll admit that we were not 100% consistent in name order on every form.. but applied the UPPER case (FAMILY NAME) and Mixed case (Given Name) to both of our names everywhere.. including paperwork for AOS.

-----

RELATIONSHIP EVIDENCE IN THE PETITION:

There is some debate and little evidence to really study... but this is possibly a very interesting issue to explore if we could run some tests...

The technically correct answer is from mikeandrong.  The practical answer of whether it does any good to do so is difficult to assess.  I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

1.  Be very careful about extras you provide: If you add something extra about proving the relationship, realize that it also exposes you to sharing info they did not ask about and can at some point request further documented proof (ie:  My aunt introduced us... ;  "Please provide notarized letter from aunt".. what if this aunt is now dead  :rolleyes: ).

2. If you provide something, keep your facts very consistent to already submitted proof (  "I arrived in china on .." ;  The copy of the passport entry stamps serve as proof of this).

3. If you want to give some relationship info, I would be inclined to do (as I did)... make the "Intent to Marry" as a two paragraph, dual use

- My first paragraph was a mix of facts (when i arrived) and feelings of our growing interest and love for each other. 

- My second paragraph was more legal sounding jargon about "intentions to marry in 90 days"...

- My concluding sentence went: "Since I have arrived back in the USA, we have been in daily communication in email.  We are very happy, excited and eager to start a life together in the USA.  I am looking forward to marrying xxx with in 90 days of her arrival in the U.S.  As proof that my fianc~{(&~}e and I have met in person I am enclosing photos of us together."    (I left myself open a little bit with "daily communication; "Eager to start a life together" = proof of intent to immigrate;  "marrying within 90 days" = proof of meeting K1 requirement; "enclosing photos" = part of proof we meet in person...

A lawyer posted an article that was here.. referencing the idea that what DHS has approved [in a petition] cannot be grounds for denial in the application part of the interview process (?).  Not sure I got that right...  But this leaves some wiggle room to consider that if you provide a little proof of a valid relationship and DHS has accepted it (approved that submitted material), this helps to establish the relationship and gives the consulate an early look at something (rather than having to ask some things).    I not sure I understand the full implications of this nor if this is truly a good idea or a valid argument in the first place.

I just would not go over board with pounds of evidence which they MUST sift through to accept it.  Less is Best is my motto.

233141[/snapback]

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm

Thanks for the info and links guys!...Looks like I got a little more reading to do on the proof of having met and ongoing relationship stuff...I'll read the articles and past topics on this and try to come up with the best answer I can find...I definitely don't want to over do it for this first application but I want to make sure that they understand me and my SO really are in love and have a real relationship also!...Thanks again!...You guys are great!!...

Thanks for the info and links guys!...Looks like I got a little more reading to do on the proof of having met and ongoing relationship stuff...I'll read the articles and past topics on this and try to come up with the best answer I can find...I definitely don't want to over do it for this first application but I want to make sure that they understand me and my SO really are in love and have a real relationship also!...Thanks again!...You guys are great!!...

233200[/snapback]

While I understand your desire to demonstrate your relationship and love for each other you need to remember that the USCIS really doesn't care

how strong your relationship is or that you are in love when you file the petition. Not that they are so hard hearted, but that has little to do with the visa process in their minds at this stage. They are taking your word for it that you intend to marry when she arrives and that meets the requirements of the law.

They have asked you to prove you have met, in our case this was a single sheet with 2 captioned pictures, boarding passes and a brief statement.

I have seen recommendations that you send pre-filling evidence of a relationship before, but have not really seen anything that provides you a better place in line for the process or even the guarantee of a successful interview by doing this. Remember someone is required to look at everything you provide and if it's too much they may just set it on the corner of their desk to review when they have free time.

The relationship proof will be required to be shown at the interview.

233200[/snapback]

While I understand your desire to demonstrate your relationship and love for each other you need to remember that the USCIS really doesn't care

how strong your relationship is or that you are in love when you file the petition. Not that they are so hard hearted, but that has little to do with the visa process in their minds at this stage. They are taking your word for it that you intend to marry when she arrives and that meets the requirements of the law.

They have asked you to prove you have met, in our case this was a single sheet with 2 captioned pictures, boarding passes and a brief statement.

I have seen recommendations that you send pre-filling evidence of a relationship before, but have not really seen anything that provides you a better place in line for the process or even the guarantee of a successful interview by doing this. Remember someone is required to look at everything you provide and if it's too much they may just set it on the corner of their desk to review when they have free time.

The relationship proof will be required to be shown at the interview.

233295[/snapback]

True. One of the immigration attorneys who posts on another site has made it on tours of most of the processing facilities. He has commented that everything submitted must be looked before a NOA-2 can be issued. My rule of thumb........

Make it easy for them to say YES!

233516[/snapback]

Make it easy for them to say YES!

Perfect.

By the way........Welcome to CFL. Great place if you have interest in immigration from China.

Oh, ok...I think I understand what you guys are saying now...Less is more!...But what exactly do I need to send now, just proof that we have met?...And is that just a few photos of us together?...Or should I include the hotel reciept, airline tickets etc?...

Oh, ok...I think I understand what you guys are saying now...Less is more!...But what exactly do I need to send now, just proof that we have met?...And is that just a few photos of us together?...Or should I include the hotel reciept, airline tickets etc?...

234377[/snapback]

Photos are good, but unless the background shows are clear date (ex: in a bank with the transfer rate in the back ground),it only proves you met at sometime, not within the 2 years. Not saying picture are bad, just tie them in with other hard evidence.

This is an example of what we did.

My passport showing I arrived in China.

The taxi receipt to the hotel (same date 4pm).

The hotel receipt (same date, we both signed 5pm).

Picture of us together in the hotel.

Hotel receipt showing we both checked out (8am).

Taxi receipt (8:40am).

Picture of us together at the airport gate beyond security checkin.

Boarding pass's of the both of us (10am).

Boarding pass's showing we sit side by side (6a 6b).

Picture of us sitting together on the plane.

Taxi receipt (4pm)

ATM receipt (4:10pm)

Restaurant receipt signed by both of us (same date 7pm)

Pictures of us and family together in restaurant.

Picture of us eating together in her house, with a USA newspaper(front page) in the background (got the free paper on the plane, shows date).

PSB receipt showing I am registered to live at her address together (my name and passport info and her name and address on the paper together with the dates and official red stamp) (killer evidence if you ask me!).

By tieing the pictures to a timeline you complete the picture with other evidence. All other pictures will now fall into place. You need more than pictures to prove that the meeting was within the 2 year time frame.

234377[/snapback]

Most digital pictures can be printed with the date taken included in the shot.

Our proof of meeting was 2 pictures and my boarding passes all put together on a single sheet using a color printer. I added captions to the pictures. This showed I went to China on a specific date and the pictures of the two of us showed a date a few days later.

It doesn't need to be massive, just something to document that you were there and together. It's not like you are providing for a court case, just something that a reasonable person would be able to see that you have met each other.

Keep it simple, by putting it on a single sheet with nothing loose it makes it easy for them to see what they need and not lose anything.