Interview

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted here with any regularity, mostly for the purpose of keeping things out of the public eye.

Lan in in Guangzhou right now and there may be a problem. It appears that all K2 applicant's under age 16 must complete the DS-156, and DS-157. We were not aware of this little snafu, and by the time Lan found out it was too late in the day get blank copies of these forms so that they could be included in the sealed package. She is in her hotel room with her daughter right now worried and very upset, but the forms are complete. She will bring with her to the interview in hopes that that VO will accept them and there be no problem, though they are not included inside the sealed package.

Is there anyone that has first-hand experience with this?

Thanks to all....

Jesse and Lan on pins and needles....

Jesse

Re: Under age 16:

DS-156: Yes, all applicants do this (in duplicate). This is spelled out in 9FAM and the consulate website.

DS-156K: I don't see this form referenced in any places (regulations), but it's a known GUZ form, supplemental to DS-156... I would think that if the DS-156 is required, then this one is.

DS-157: According to the GUZ website, this doesn't sound required:

"All applicants 16 years of age and older must complete the DS-157 application form, which is one page. "

---------

I'll only add that any recent experience should speak more definitive than the above...

Guest ShaQuaNew

DS-156:  Yes, all applicants do this (in duplicate).  This is spelled out in 9FAM and the consulate website.

DS-156K:  I don't see this form referenced in any places (regulations), but it's a known GUZ form, supplemental to DS-156... I would think that if the DS-156 is required, then this one is.

DS-157:  According to the GUZ website, this doesn't sound required: 

"All applicants 16 years of age and older must complete the DS-157 application form, which is one page. "

---------

I'll only add that any recent experience should speak more definitive than the above...

231780[/snapback]

Thanks David. It's my understanding at this late hour that the DS-156K is not required for children under 16. The DS-156, and DS-157 do appear to be required. What's more confusing is there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that is included in the appointment paperwork that clearly stipulates this information. Case in point:

http://i1.tinypic.com/20aeaeq.jpg

as you can see, these instructions do NOT clearly indicate that any form whatsoever must be completed specifically for a K2 applicant. The K2 applicant is added of course as requested in the appropriate fields of all other forms, but nothing states that a DS-156, and DS-157 must be completed for each K2 applicant under age 16.

Of course this is extremely critical information. I am both surprised and onverwhelmed after spending so many months that this seemingly simple item could sneak by. Be aware that where the instructions indicate that two forms are required is referring to one in English, and one in Chinese....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

DS-156:  Yes, all applicants do this (in duplicate).  This is spelled out in 9FAM and the consulate website.

231780[/snapback]

Where is this indicated on the consulate website? Do you have a link or quote?

Guest ShaQuaNew
If she has the forms filled out and in hand, I think she's well prepared for anything.

We'll all be waiting to hear.

231793[/snapback]

Thanks Randy. The only conclusion I can make at this point is that she has been misinformed by the medical office. This appears to be a case of over-zealous non-American consulate personnel asking for things that are not required. I do hope that's the case. Again, I have found nothing, not even close that stipulates that the DS-156 or the DS-157 are needed for a K2 applicant under age 16 at the time of interview. These forms may be need afterward, but nothing indicates that at the time of interview. If anyone, and I mean anyone has corrobborated information about this please let me know.

Thanks...

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

It has been a long time since your last appearance on this board.

If the consulate employees ask for the missing froms, she can just hand them out quickly. That shouldn't be a big issue. Just make sure all forms are filled out accurately.

Good luck and keep fingers crossed. Good things come to good people.

Just calculated the time, not too late yet. :)

If the only thing you worry about is that the forms are not sealed in the envelop. This is not a problem. The envelop will be opened prior to the interview, and will be checked by a Chinese staff. At that point Lan can add the forms into the package. She may briefly explain the situation, or the explaination is not even needed. (I have first hand experience on this, I replace my photos, and added a notarial certificate which was not prepared properly at the health check. No problem at all.)

Have you checked with them whether they have got the telegraphic code of their names? This part is the most easy to make a mistake.

If you haven't, you may check out the code for them, then give them the result first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks to all of you. I just received information that clarifies this whole issue. You cannot imagine the anxiety that the mis-informed medical people have done to Lan and I in these few hours before our interview. Here is a quote from the US Consulate Website....

What documents will be in the instruction packet and appointment packet?

The Instruction packet in Guangzhou includes:

1. Instruction packet (Packet 3) letter in English

2. Instruction packet (Packet 3) letter in Chinese

3. Application for immigrant visa and alien registration (DS-230 part I)

4. Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169)

5. Notice to all nonimmigrant visa applicants (list of CITIC Bank)

6. Evidence which may be presented to meet the public charge provisions of the law (OF-167)

The Appointment packet includes:

1. Appointment letter in English

2. Letter to K1/K2 Applicant

3. New Requirement for Nonimmigrant Visa Application Photos

4. Supplemental form GNI-2

5. Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry

6. Family composition sheet (GIV-24)

7. Medical examination instructions (GIV-8)

8. Medical examination for immigrant or refugee applicant (DS-2053)

9. Chest X-ray and classification worksheet (DS-3024)

10. Vaccination documentation worksheet (DS-3025)

11. Medical history and physical examination worksheet (DS-3026)

12. Nonimmigrant visa application (DS-156) and nonimmigrant visa application for applicants 16 years and older (DS-157) (two sets)

13. Nonimmigrant fiancé(e) visa application (DS-156K)

Lan's daughter is only 15! These documents ARE NOT REQUIRED...

Be careful that this same thing does not happen to you....

Guest ShaQuaNew
Best of luck Jesse. Glad you got that straightened out. Keep us posted. :)

231805[/snapback]

Thanks.....I will post the results when I know. Our emotions have run from tears to elation and back again in these past several days. It's VERY wrong that the process of bringing our loved ones here to the US includes these heavy-anxiety events from beginning to end. It needs to change.......

Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted here with any regularity, mostly for the purpose of keeping things out of the public eye.

Lan in in Guangzhou right now and there may be a problem. It appears that all K2 applicant's under age 16 must complete the DS-156, and DS-157. We were not aware of this little snafu, and by the time Lan found out it was too late in the day get blank copies of these forms so that they could be included in the sealed package. She is in her hotel room with her daughter right now worried and very upset, but the forms are complete. She will bring with her to the interview in hopes that that VO will accept them and there be no problem, though they are not included inside the sealed package.

Is there anyone that has first-hand experience with this?

Thanks to all....

Jesse and Lan on pins and needles....

Jesse

231778[/snapback]

Best Wishes! I can imagine the stress!