Chinaisms - How the English language works

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking with my wife on the phone the other day and I said something she did not agree with, her response 'pei pei pei'. But Hon, I don't owe any money to you!!!!!

eeyore....she may have been saying pi, which is pronounced 'pee.' If she was, this is typically used when a Chinese feels a stalemate, caught forever in a quagmire of circumstances....a period when nothing is working correctly because the forces that control or impact life are at an unyielding impasse.

Or on the other hand maybe you owe her some money :lol:

caught forever in a quagmire of circumstances....a period when nothing is working correctly because the forces that control or impact life are at an unyielding impasse.

She married me!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, I do owe her money :P

:lol: :huh:

Come to think of it, it did sound like pee, pi is correct.

Guest DragonFlower

My wife is learning English at an astonishing rate.

But she still has the Chinese L-R dyslexia.

Common words that she knows very well are still victims.

Tonight we were talking about babies.

She said we would have a R-O-V-E-L-Y baby :lol:

What is the L-R thing anyway,The Chinese language uses both sounds.

I do not understand the problem with sorting them out.

Anybody know?

When I spell a word for her to look up,she mixes up the l and r's.

Then she tells me she cannot find the word.

Werr, can you herp me with this ,PREASE!

rong

I was talking with my wife on the phone the other day and I said something she did not agree with, her response 'pei pei pei'. But Hon, I don't owe any money to you!!!!!

eeyore....she may have been saying pi, which is pronounced 'pee.' If she was, this is typically used when a Chinese feels a stalemate, caught forever in a quagmire of circumstances....a period when nothing is working correctly because the forces that control or impact life are at an unyielding impasse.

Or on the other hand maybe you owe her some money :lol:

So thats what that means. Bing says that often. "pi!"

So thats what that means. Bing says that often. "pi!"

Yes, that is what the Chinese mean by pi.

During periods of pi, the unhappy state of stagnation, they feel that no progress is possible and their recourse is to do nothing.

Chinese may back away from turmoil and wait until the state of pi ends before they will do anything. It is embedded in their psychology and you may notice pi used as an excuse to delay taking positive actions to resolve the stagnation and move forward.

It is an old concept in Chinese thinking and is listed as number twelve in the sixty-four things the Chinese sages observed to affect human affairs.

well, as same as americans' slangs, we also have many.

chinese slangs are more hard to learn than america's..

my american cutie husband has been learning chinese since we got married and still he is stuck! we mostly talk in english but sometimes

when we talk to my parents he talks a little bit baby chinese....

like wo shi e.....what he meant is i am hungry....

i understand how eager he wants to communicate with chinese family,

but it's really hard to teach and explain everything,the same as americans,

hard to explain all grammar..

but the most important, there is nothing compared to the love a husband and wife have........

Bing says that often. "pi!"

She disagrees with you a lot!!!!!!!!

Not really. We get along remarkably well and seem to have many attitudes in common considering our cultural backgrounds.

To add a new twist to the meaning of 'pi' I can share a much different explanation or definition of the meaning of pi. And maybe it is closer to the mark in some instances.

There is a different spelling of pi, pi being the simplified pinyan spelling, in Chinese and has quite a different meaning.

Pi also means shit in Chinese, and ‘fang pi’ which means ‘let the shit go’ is the Chinese equivalent of bullshit.

So if you are not agreeing on something and someone tells you pi pi pi, they may very well be telling you shit shit shit….in other words someone may be telling you are full of it….let it go.