what is your favorite food your SO cooks

Jun has made so many good chinese dishes that I can't pick a favorite... :P Here in California, she will have some people over and cook 6 or so dishes (or sometimes just hotpot). She rarely has a name for what she makes, but she photographs every dish to post on a board she is a member of. Maybe I could find some of the photos (only members can view the pics, so I can't make links).

I've learned to like lamb since meeting Jun. Especially in hot pot.

Some things I like (that I can find or guess a name for):

Hot & Sour soup - much better then the restaurant variety I grew up liking

Mabo Tofu good and spicy

Chicken with shredded Daikon

Ok, I'll stop I can't describe any of this well enough. I'll find the pics on her laptop later.

Some things I DO NOT like:

Drunk Chicken

Beef Tendon Stew (like fat-flavored jujifruits... ick)

Spicy fish head (watching her and our roommate eat this made my appetite go away... I have got used to seeing her eat tripe and other internal organs, but for some reason this reminded me of two people chowing down on garbage)

The one thing she can't make is dumplings. She says she alway refused to learn because she knew if she knew how to do it her friends would have always wanted her to make them, and she prefers to let someone else make them and just enjoy eating them :P I think I'll learn.

Starting this week she wants to learn how to make western food. She made an awesome cake under my supervision a couple of days ago. Tonight she'll try buttermilk biscuits. Tomorrow a yet to be determinded chicken dish. Grill lessons to follow. :P

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great reading thru this thread.

Hey... so what do ya say we all run down to the local chinese take -out..? hehehe

Bea and I are here in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NY so we can run around the corner and get all our veggies, fish and meats. We were just talking about that this morning as I went out to go shopping at the big western stores... "Don't forget to get some meat." Naw.. get it at the chinese market." you can't buy the cuts of pork any where else but there.

Bea is a Cantonese girl so soup is one of her best dishes. How you can take a pot of water, add a few things and end up with such a flavorful broth!.... She did try making some once in a western pot... not good. So I guess it is really having the right tools, clay pot and the know how that does it.

I too love Hot and Sour soup but she doesn't make it. lucky for me we have found a couple places that I enjoy.

Another is Beef and White Carrot, (Daikon?), but so far she hasn't been able to find the right beef and has given up on it.. :blink: but how we have pork and white carrot! :) Fresh veggies!, chinese egg plant and all the greens, so gentle as she says. I like that the cantonese cook light on sauces, etc.

She really liked my cooking while we lived in China and I had fun working with the wok, so she doesn't cook as much here. "Your's aways tastes better... which translates to "Huh! are you dumb... I'm not going to cook if I can make you do it."

I introduced her family to mashed potatoes and cole slaw and a few other dishes which the loved, but she said even thought her mom watched me she wouldn't make it..

There are many more, I enjoyed such as noodles and this hot spicey pork, Hunan style. We were so lucky in Shenzhen, we could eat from all over China and as I said reading this thread reminds me that China has a very wide and as someone mentioned and long tradition of cook. Sad that chinese means take-out to most people.

Mark

My wife makes great reservations :threeques:

230374[/snapback]

My Ex-Wife use tell our kids when dinner was almost ready to get in the car.

230967[/snapback]

I am only kidding, I hope everybody understands that, her reservations aren't that great eather, I better shut up.

Serously, the chinese food I can eat she does cook well, I like her flied lice.