Children at Interview

I arrived in GZ on June 28th and in speaking with 3 other couples discovered that each felt their young children were treated with a large amount of disrespect when it came time for the interview. While I am sure the interview room is rather busy and all, the children have been required to be at the interview along with their parent for the visa interview.

Please mention to the VO's that the abrubtness of the child being sent away from the interview window to sit alone is making an extremely bad impression of the USA and the IV Unit in GZ. I realize this is probably an isolated case and that not all VO's are doing this, perhaps someone was just having a bad day. But they should always be courteous to the children that have been brought from all over China to the interview.

Thanks for listening.

• 3 weeks later...

We apologize if any applicants are being treated with disrespect at the interview.

Sometimes children are asked to sit in the waiting area (where they can still see their parents at the window) to allow the consular officer to conduct a more private one-on-one interview with the principal beneficiary. Occasionally, sensitive issues are discussed during the interview, and we feel that some parents would feel more comfortable answering these questions more openly and honestly if their children were not standing right next to them.

In rare instances, derivative children begin answering questions directed at the principal beneficiary. This is unacceptable. It is not unreasonable for a consular officer to expect the principal beneficiary to answer questions directed at him/her. In these rare instances, the children are also asked to sit in the waiting area.