• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/newforms.htm

And the fillable form:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-129f.htm

Just a note of caution, and maybe it is just my pc, but each time I try to load the I-129f in pdf, my pc crashes.

224391[/snapback]

I just downloaded the new PDF and didn't have any problem, I think it uses some features of the newer versions of Acrobat, probably 7.0 and later.

For all the delays this is going to cause most petitioners will just answer NO to those questions about a marriage broker.

Just curious, how many people here can actually write their loved one's name in Chinese?

The form defines a marriage broker as

If you met your fianc¨¦ or spouse through the services of aninternational marriage broker, you must notify USCIS ofthat fact by answering Question 19 on this form. The term¡°international marriage broker¡± means a corporation,partnership, business, individual, or other legal entity,whether or not organized under any law of the UnitedStates, that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial,matchmaking services, or social referrals between UnitedStates citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted tothe United States as lawful permanent residents andforeign national clients by providing personal contactinformation or otherwise facilitating communicationbetween individuals.

This seems to broaden the definition, since it includes any entity which simply "facilitates communication".

If you met your fianc¨¦ or spouse through the services of aninternational marriage broker, you must notify USCIS ofthat fact by answering Question 19 on this form. The term¡°international marriage broker¡± means a corporation,partnership, business, individual, or other legal entity,whether or not organized under any law of the UnitedStates, that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial,matchmaking services, or social referrals between UnitedStates citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted tothe United States as lawful permanent residents andforeign national clients by providing personal contactinformation or otherwise facilitating communicationbetween individuals.

This seems to broaden the definition, since it includes any entity which simply "facilitates communication".

224397[/snapback]

In my opinion the key wording here is:

"that charges fees for"

Everything after that is based on this premise.

Guest pushbrk

224397[/snapback]

"that charges fees for"

224398[/snapback]

A'yup. A dating website that charges a single fee for "membership" is NOT and IMB by this definition.

They have also corrected the typo in Part C question 2.

Also they seem to require answers to 12 and C2 even for K3.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

224397[/snapback]

"that charges fees for"

224398[/snapback]

A'yup. A dating website that charges a single fee for "membership" is NOT and IMB by this definition.

224399[/snapback]

Sorry, but, like you, I would call that a "fee".

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/newforms.htm

And the fillable form:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-129f.htm

Just a note of caution, and maybe it is just my pc, but each time I try to load the I-129f in pdf, my pc crashes.

224391[/snapback]

I just downloaded the new PDF and didn't have any problem, I think it uses some features of the newer versions of Acrobat, probably 7.0 and later.

For all the delays this is going to cause most petitioners will just answer NO to those questions about a marriage broker.

Just curious, how many people here can actually write their loved one's name in Chinese?

224394[/snapback]

I just had her type her name in Chinese on a word doc, email it to me, and I submitted it on a separate page with the app.

Guest pushbrk

224397[/snapback]

"that charges fees for"

224398[/snapback]

224399[/snapback]

Sorry, but, like you, I would call that a "fee".

224400[/snapback]

Yes, it is a fee but it is not a fee for any of the specific services indicated in the definition. It is a fee for membership. I realize the instructions do not reference the clarifying exclusion for dating websites that do not have as their primary business, International Introductions but it IS part of the law.

The problem with legal documents is that to read and understand them one must be careful to follow the precise literal meaning of a complicated sentence. It doesn't work to parse the sentence.

224397[/snapback]

I believe the statute used the term "facilitates communication" as well.

224397[/snapback]

224405[/snapback]

Yes, my understanding of the law is it does include dating websites because they facilitate a platform that puts the USC in contact with the foreign prospect.

Guest pushbrk

224397[/snapback]

224405[/snapback]

Yes it does. It also uses an exclusionary paragraph that addresses what is NOT an IMB.

Guest pushbrk

224397[/snapback]

224405[/snapback]

Yes, my understanding of the law is it does include dating websites because they facilitate a platform that puts the USC in contact with the foreign prospect.

224406[/snapback]

It is a complicated sentence that must not be parsed.

===================================================

If you met your fianc¨¦ or spouse through the services of an international marriage broker, you must notify USCIS of that fact by answering Question 19 on this form. The term ¡°international marriage broker¡± means a corporation, partnership, business, individual, or other legal entity, whether or not organized under any law of the UnitedStates, that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking services, or social referrals between UnitedStates citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted tothe United States as lawful permanent residents andforeign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals.

=============================================

The confusion begins at...

"...that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial,matchmaking services, or social referrals between UnitedStates citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted tothe United States as lawful permanent residents andforeign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals."

Note "fees for providing" "between United States....and foreign national "clients".

If a dating website charges all members the same fee whether they choose to communicate with people from another Nation or not, then they are not primarily facilitating communication between US folks and foreign folks. They just post profiles of "people" and facilitate communication between those people. Members interested in marriage (whether international or not) are not charged differently than those interested in pen pals or dating. These sites are not IMB's. They have members from different countries but their business is not primarily help people marry foreigners.

There is also an exlusionary paragraph in the law that clarifies this.

Guest pushbrk
Why not continue the IMBRA law discussion over here?

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18628

224412[/snapback]

Because it's in the survey forum.

There's been extensive discussion in this forum covering much of the law and related questions. Here's an example. What is NOT an IMB...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18336