Chinese beds appear to be a plywood plank with about 1 inch of padding and a sheet on top of that. This is based on my experiences on about 15 different beds over time, in both the north and south.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese beds appear to be a plywood plank with about 1 inch of padding and a sheet on top of that.  This is based on my experiences on about 15 different beds over time, in both the north and south.

224269[/snapback]

1" padding?? Really?? :)

224276[/snapback]

That's all it feels like.

I like a firm bed. Really firm.

But in China, I always wake up 3-4 times a night with my joints hurting because the rock-solid surface seems to cut off circulation. I've had softer sleep surfaces sleeping under the stars in the mountains!

Chinese beds appear to be a plywood plank with about 1 inch of padding and a sheet on top of that.  This is based on my experiences on about 15 different beds over time, in both the north and south.

224269[/snapback]

1" padding?? Really?? :)

224276[/snapback]

That's all it feels like.

I like a firm bed. Really firm.

But in China, I always wake up 3-4 times a night with my joints hurting because the rock-solid surface seems to cut off circulation. I've had softer sleep surfaces sleeping under the stars in the mountains!

224287[/snapback]

Well, if you like FIRM, you like China! Other than 5 star hotels I never found a bed that didn't make me wake up with a back ache. I stayed with my former SO in her home, in January. Cold, very cold. I put on every piece of clothing I brought with me and then I took this 1-1/2 thick blanket and folded it to use as a mattress under me. I still shivered all night and awoke with a back ache. Aw China....I do miss you so.

224269[/snapback]

1" padding?? Really?? :coolthumb:

224276[/snapback]

Amen!

When I come home from China, I have bruises on my hips and elbows from the beds! But I did find a Chinese hotel (not Western) in Guangzhou that has Western king-size beds and mattresses ... Unfortuneately, I rarely in Guangzhou.

They are not plywood.  They are upholstered rocks

224298[/snapback]

I've been living here (in Guangzhou now) for 5 months with my SO as we await our Interview and all I can say is that it doesn't get any better.

They really believe the firm "rock" is really good for the back. B.S. if you ask me. I've found the best way to deal with it is to get a few comforters and/or thick blankets and load them up under the sheets. I did this for "my side" for a few days and then she wanted to see what it felt like so I put it on the whole bed. After about a week or so of it I think I've got her converted because now she can't sleep on the old hard "plank" she used to do before. Nice. ;)

Peachy

Missing his $2000 King-size mattress he bought that is at home in the US.

Guest pushbrk
They are not plywood.  They are upholstered rocks

224298[/snapback]

I've been living here (in Guangzhou now) for 5 months with my SO as we await our Interview and all I can say is that it doesn't get any better.

They really believe the firm "rock" is really good for the back. B.S. if you ask me. I've found the best way to deal with it is to get a few comforters and/or thick blankets and load them up under the sheets. I did this for "my side" for a few days and then she wanted to see what it felt like so I put it on the whole bed. After about a week or so of it I think I've got her converted because now she can't sleep on the old hard "plank" she used to do before. Nice. :roller:

Peachy

Missing his $2000 King-size mattress he bought that is at home in the US.

224408[/snapback]

For about RMB 200, I bought an egg crate style foam pad at Wall-Mart and just left it there. My wife didn't seem to mind. I slept better and bruise free.

224269[/snapback]

1" padding?? Really?? :roller:

224276[/snapback]

The 1" padding is for the super soft bed. Cut it in half or more for a firmer one. :roller:

PADDING ? :roller: :roller:

I finally got really tired (and plenty of bed sores) by the time she came in the room and saw me tearing her bed apart to figure out WTF felt like a rock I was sleeping on...

You got the plywood plank right.. but her bed was stuffed with folded clothes.. I found out what she did with clothes she outgrew :roller:

I exclaimed , "I'm sleeping on clothes" ... and she didn't stop laughing for almost two weeks... :roller:

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)