All those papers they sent you

You know all the I-797's and other papers uncle sam sent you about the porcess. The ones with the seal of the United States oth things. Do you really need to keep those? I go looking for them today and the folder i gave to her with all this and other evidence is not as thick as it was. The only thin kept was pictures, my birth certrificate and the money order reciepts for the visa bill. Everything else she threw away. In China.

Guest ShaQuaNew
You know all the I-797's and other papers uncle sam sent you about the porcess.  The ones with the seal of the United States oth things.  Do you really need to keep those?  I go looking for them today and the folder i gave to her with all this and other evidence is not as thick as it was.  The only thin kept was pictures, my birth certrificate and the money order reciepts for the visa bill.  Everything else she threw away.  In China.

223802[/snapback]

One should keep copies of every single piece of communication during the immigration process. This includes copies of things you send and things you receive; email, letters, telephone communications, forms, receipts, a seemingly endless list. Also, get a spiral notebook and make a logbook, a journal of sorts. Write the dates and times, and a brief sentence or two about any special communication or activity, and reference any forms or letters. Make copies of copies, making sure you have a backup. Take the time to organize your paperwork in file folders and clearly label.

Regarding anything that is lost, misplaced, or accidentally thrown away, there is little you can do, but, if you've not done so, take the time to get organized. Go through your house and find everything, sort through it and put it in a labled folder. It's not a good idea to leave the folder laying around as it can become mixed up with other things. Get a file cabinet that accepts hanging file folders; most can be modified for them. Often times during the process you will find things you thought you'd lost.

I've not heard of anyone being requested to provide a copy of an I-797 form, but it's indeed an important one to keep as it's the official approval.

edit...

If you have access to a scanner, scan those documents; or, if you have a digital camera, take a picture. You'd be surprised at how well a page shows up on a computer screen when taken with a digital camera...

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
You know all the I-797's and other papers uncle sam sent you about the porcess.  The ones with the seal of the United States oth things.  Do you really need to keep those?  I go looking for them today and the folder i gave to her with all this and other evidence is not as thick as it was.  The only thin kept was pictures, my birth certrificate and the money order reciepts for the visa bill.  Everything else she threw away.  In China.

223802[/snapback]

Hopefully you didn't give her the originals of the 797's and such. If for some reason they request you provide a document that was submitted in the past it is your responsibility to provide it.

I've got one complete set in my safetey deposit box, including original notarized documents from China and another set at the house.

With time the necessity for most of these goes away, but until you have the 10 year green card they can be important.

If required to produce a specific I-797 you can order a duplicate, but it is not cheap. :(

Guest ShaQuaNew
If you need a duplicate NOA2, here is the link to order it from USCIS.

I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-824.htm

223909[/snapback]

$200??????

That is absolutely ridiculous. Talk about price gouging. This is the big guy saying to the public; "Look, we're busy here. We don't have time and staff to look for your stuff, so, if you aren't careful and lose it, well, that's just too damned bad, ain't it."

...or words to that effect.... :ph34r:

223802[/snapback]

You shoulda, coulda, woulda. None of that from me.

Murphy at work.

Things happen. Do not be too upset with her. Simple costly mistake, just a little more leg work now.

One thing, this teaches me a lesson.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Well we were Cr-1 so no AOS. I took all the originals to China with me on my last trip and she was to bring them all back. She threw them away knowing what they were. She told me she she didnt think we need. I asked her why and she said 001 say... I hadnt gotten mad at all until this. I caught myself and stopped. I have been through this 001 say this and that. I have come to hate that site. I wanted her to go there to meet other people in her sitution but it seems, to me at least, to cause more problems then anything

Edited by Chad (see edit history)