Hello...first post

I am an American citizen who has been in China the past 4 years, but leaving in a month, bringing my wife to the US on a CR-1 Visa. My question pertains to her sponsorship (I-864).

I am hoping to sponsor her on my own but have no job as my work contract just ended. I have savings of about $17k.

My questions:

1. With a letter from a senior bank manger giving the status of my account, would this meet the requirement in sponsoring one person? Is the minimum amount $12,500 for one person?

2. Would cosponsors increase the time of the overall process? I do have willing and able cosponsors but think getting that info. and having all the offices check it out will affect the time. Also, I want to have the I-864 form completed before I leave for the US.

3. What about the relevance of tax returns and w-2 forms? I have been in China the past 4 years so I have not filed and, I owe no taxes. I have no w-2s for the past years. My wife insists that I need to obtain some sort of tax forms. Is she right? (she gets this all from Chinese sources) Or do I have to obtain some sort of tax forms from my jobs in China?

Thanks so much for any clarification to my questions.

I doubt 17K would be enough assets without enough income. I think it would be wise to get a co-sponsor. It won't slow down the process any that I know of. Even with a co-sponsor though you still need 3 years income tax records for

CR-1. Keep your eye on this thread. Frank will likely be along tomorrow to answer some of your questions better than I can.

Hello and welcome.

I hope this will help.

1. With a letter from a senior bank manger giving the status of my account, would this meet the requirement in sponsoring one person? Is the minimum amount $12,500 for one person?
1. A bank statement or affidavit of support from your bank is required, but the amount isn't the only thing that will be looked at. You will need a co-sponsor.
2. Would cosponsors increase the time of the overall process? I do have willing and able cosponsors but think getting that info. and having all the offices check it out will affect the time. Also, I want to have the I-864 form completed before I leave for the US.
2. No, it shouldn't change anything involving the process. In short, the form I-864 is to make sure your SO doesn't become a public charge. Get your I-864 notarized and have your co-sponsor send their notarized I-864 to your SO.
3. What about the relevance of tax returns and w-2 forms? I have been in China the past 4 years so I have not filed and, I owe no taxes. I have no w-2s for the past years. My wife insists that I need to obtain some sort of tax forms. Is she right? (she gets this all from Chinese sources) Or do I have to obtain some sort of tax forms from my jobs in China?
3. You will need to write a "letter of explanation" about your work.

Often ESL teachers, like myself have no proof of getting paid or paying taxes. And we don't meet the minimum requirement to file for taxes. So, like you, before I leave I will write a letter explaining my work and that I have no receipts or evidence of getting paid.

FYI: Because you've been out of the states for some time, you will also need to show evidence for domicile by providing proof (Emails, letters from possible employers) of seeking employment in the US.

Check out this thread and the one below. It might be useful.

DCF interview experience (11-19-05)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14086

Welcome to Candle For Love. It looks like you've gotten some pretty good information on the I-864.

I'd like to add a few points.

Although you are sponsoring only one person, your household size is likely to be two people (yourself and your wife). For 2006, the threshold for a two person household is $16,500, assuming you don't live in Alaska or Hawaii - http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-864p.pdf

Liquid assets can be used, but only 20% of the value will be counted. So, in your case, with $17,000 in the bank, you can use $3,400. It certainly sounds like you'll need a joint sponsor.

The Department of State tries to draw a distinction between not having enough taxable income to have to pay tax and not being required to file a return. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/in...nfo_1328.html#2 If your gross income is above certain levels (depending on your filing status), IRS probably would want you to file a return even if you don't own any tax. Take a look at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#d0e448 for the gross income levels. If you were required to file income tax returns but didn't, probably the best thing to do is to file them now and provide copies with the I-864. If you didn't need to file, then a notarized letter explaning why should be sufficient.

Good luck.