Help needed!!!! I-864 question

Hi,

I am currently working on my wife's CR-1 I 864. I just started working this year 2006. So I have a co-sponsor for the 2005 tax return.

My aunt is the co-sponsor. She has 3 people in her household and her income for 2005 was $21,000. It meets the requirement but she filed the tax return with her husband who on the tax return has negative income, therefore at their combine tax for 2005 was negative. My question is does NVC or DOS looked at my aunt's income 2005 only?

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

I am currently working on my wife's CR-1 I 864. I just started working this year 2006. So I have a co-sponsor for the 2005 tax return.

My aunt is the co-sponsor. She has 3 people in her household and her income for 2005 was $21,000. It meets the requirement but she filed the tax return with her husband who on the tax return has negative income, therefore at their combine tax for 2005 was negative. My question is does NVC or DOS looked at my aunt's income 2005 only?

222528[/snapback]

First you Aunt would not be your co-sponsor for 2005 taxes. She is your "co-sponsor". Her filing requirements are the same as yours. I would include tax returns which INCLUDE W2 forms. This will clarify your Aunt's actual "income".

The I-864 form, itself, lets the joint sponsor (your aunt) indicate whether only her income will be used when a joint return is filed. In Part 4.C. of the form, your aunt would probably check the box for "I am submitting documentation of my individual income (Forms W-2 and 1099)" indicating that only her income is being used from the joint return.

Just a reminder that gross income, rather than taxable income, is what is used for I-864 purposes. From http://www.uscis.gov/text/publicaffairs/fa...eets/affaqa.htm

"The line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 (line 22 in 1996) and 1040A (line 14 in 1996) is used to determine income. The line for adjusted gross income is used for persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ (line 4 in 1996)."

Line 22 is still the total income line on the current 1040s.

Hi,

222528[/snapback]

First you Aunt would not be your co-sponsor for 2005 taxes. She is your "co-sponsor". Her filing requirements are the same as yours. I would include tax returns which INCLUDE W2 forms. This will clarify your Aunt's actual "income".

222531[/snapback]

Thanks for the info,

I was told by NVC or DOS today that I should add my wife to co-sponsor my Aunt's three household which becomes four. I dont know exactly how much my aunt made for 2005 but to be safe I feel like taking out her daughter, who went to college and did not live with my aunt and her husband in the 2nd half of 2005. This will make the requirement back to three people.

Can I do this?

Hi,

222528[/snapback]

222531[/snapback]

Thanks for the info,

I was told by NVC or DOS today that I should add my wife to co-sponsor my Aunt's three household which becomes four. I dont know exactly how much my aunt made for 2005 but to be safe I feel like taking out her daughter, who went to college and did not live with my aunt and her husband in the 2nd half of 2005. This will make the requirement back to three people.

Can I do this?

222856[/snapback]

just remember that she will file her taxes with the affidavit of support...

What will the taxes show for 2005, a dependent child or not?

I personally would be inclined to stay consistent across financial evidence... So if she's not there, I'd have no problem taking her off...